So this song is a bit of a departure from my usual material (weird melodeath stuff) but I was playing around with some jazzy chords one day, and suddenly this came out. It has some metal and shred bits in it that should entice those who don't like bombastic, atmospheric post rock, fear not. It's played with a capo on the 3rd fret, and I'm considering stopping at measure 130 instead of letting it go on. Let me know what you think of it, and as always, I'll C4C.
Attachments:
post rock song.gp4
This is just beyond awesome, I mean, it's sparkling with energy and it seems every instrument does its part very well!

At bar 73 though, I feel the drums would actually benefit from not having a snare roll and having a snare roll at bar 81 instead, I hope you'll understand what I mean if you look at the changes I made in the attachment

If you don't like it, don't use it, that was the only thing I could find that you could change for (possibly) the better, what you already have is just great anyway

Also, I'm about to release a new crappy song, so I'll have to take that C4C later, if you think that's fair!
Attachments:
post rock song (drumszzdf).gp5
Last edited by Erra93 at Mar 16, 2012,
Thanks for the reviews guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Erra93, I think I might actually do both. I like having a fill before it changes sections, but the roll right before it changes up the drum part sounds good too. So I'll probably keep both of parts. And I'll definitely C4C you, just PM me when you're done with your song.

Johnathan_Trejo, how much of that was you actually playing? Because some of it sounded pretty realistic, but some of it was obviously MIDI. It was pretty good overall though. What program are you using?
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
Thanks for the reviews guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Erra93, I think I might actually do both. I like having a fill before it changes sections, but the roll right before it changes up the drum part sounds good too. So I'll probably keep both of parts. And I'll definitely C4C you, just PM me when you're done with your song.

Johnathan_Trejo, how much of that was you actually playing? Because some of it sounded pretty realistic, but some of it was obviously MIDI. It was pretty good overall though. What program are you using?

Fl studio xD
Click My Library to see what I've written

My Library
Hey! I liked it a lot. At first I wasn't really fond of it.. but it got better as it moved on. Loved bars 114 through 129. When it suddenly stopped I was like "nooo, please have another go" haha I was really enjoying that part. Good thing it repeated then at the end!

This is what I've been working on, have a listen and let me know what you think of it !
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1526635
That intro chord progression sounds kinda familiar, not that I'm saying you copied anything, it's just reminding me of something I can't think of right now. It's nice though. It feels really happy when everything kicks in haha, but it sounds good. The bass line is pretty catchy. The little clean guitar shreds are nice touches that make quite a difference.

The chords and progressions are nice in general, but I wasn't too sure about bar 109, it just didn't sound good. But apart from that, the rest of the chord progressions were fine.

I see what you mean about thinking of ending the piece at bar 130, that was quite a grand way to end it, it starts to get boring after that. I mean, if you were to change the feel of the piece a bit more, throw in some new chord progressions, no blast beats kinda thing, that could work, but as it is, I do think everything after 130 is unnecessary.

Nice piece though mate, it's pretty lively and has a good feel throughout it and if ended at 130, it doesn't get boring.

c4c? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29348660#post29348660
Man before anything else, mix this better.

I had to change the pannings in the song to better hear everything so that it doesn't just all meld together, putting everything dead center is a bad idea.

I feel that when there are several instruments together it tends to sort of all meld together, most likely because of harmonisation issues that make certain notes and sections clash with each other.

The main ideas and flow is fine but it feels like there are clashing issues, especially what I would consider the chorus with the legato guitar, the ringouts, and everything, it's just too much I find.

Hard to give idaes on how to fix that, that becomes a very personal thing. It's not a bad idea I just think it could be way better with some polish and a bit of love.

I also really did not like that blastbeat.

at 122 when the octaves come on top of your chords it clashes again, too much stuff and lacks clarity.

I feel you have a bunch of good ideas but you would need to work on how they work with each other and not on their own, and try to focus on making it sync together and making a cohesive whole, instead of several instruments doing their own thing, that sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't...

That being said the structure works, the ideas are not bad. It's a bit too happy for me honestly, but the mood is steady and solid, so well done on that. Good effort, good structure, I believe the harmonisation is what suffers the most.
Quote by JazzDeath
I feel you have a bunch of good ideas but you would need to work on how they work with each other and not on their own, and try to focus on making it sync together and making a cohesive whole, instead of several instruments doing their own thing, that sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't...

That being said the structure works, the ideas are not bad. It's a bit too happy for me honestly, but the mood is steady and solid, so well done on that. Good effort, good structure, I believe the harmonisation is what suffers the most.

I think part of that problem may be that 1. its not mixed (which is something I never really pay attention to in GP) and 2. its all the same MIDI sound. Three guitar tracks all doing really dense chords and stuff at the same time can be grating. I think just switching the instrument sounds could help some of that.

But thanks, I'll work on it. I was going for a sort of upbeat wall of music kind of sound, so some of the "too much at once-ness" probably won't change. But I'll definitely consider changing some shit.