I did a search on the forum, didn't really come up with anything that fit the bill. What's the best way to learn how to build amps. It seems the best way to learn is by doing. so are there kits or something? maybe a replica of something i may actually use? that would be best. and i dont just want something that tells me to put resistor A between these two points and capacitor b here. id like to understand what these parts do, and whay they need to be there. I'm an electrician by trade, however im used to building hi-rises and conveyors and other control work. but I do have basic theory knowledge as far as current, resistance, voltage, wattage equations (ohms law, ect...) so all that being said, is there a book or something i should buy along with the parts and kind of read and assemble at once? whats the best way to go about this? thanks!
There are plenty of books on this topic. I suggest typing "how to build a guitar amp" into google.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
There are plenty of books on this topic. I suggest typing "how to build a guitar amp" into google.

yeah, i figured that.....but i know there are some very knowledgeable folks here and i didn't know if there was something like a "bible" for amp builders, one that's better than the rest? and maybe a shove in the right direction as far as kits go? i have spotted some online, but whats a good one for a noob to start on?
For kits and a pretty good starting amp head over to www.ax84.com. They offer an amp called the P1 and an amp called the High Octane. Both are fairly easy amps, but the P1 is usually the suggested starting point. Download the P1 Theory Document to get a start on learning amps. You don't have to build the P1 first, but the theory document is a good first start into amps.

From there http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard/ is a good place to learn. If you want you can even buy his two books. They are very theory heavy, but very useful.

After all of that you can start looking into older books about vacuum tubes and studying schematics.
Quote by XgamerGt04
For kits and a pretty good starting amp head over to www.ax84.com. They offer an amp called the P1 and an amp called the High Octane. Both are fairly easy amps, but the P1 is usually the suggested starting point. Download the P1 Theory Document to get a start on learning amps. You don't have to build the P1 first, but the theory document is a good first start into amps.

From there http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard/ is a good place to learn. If you want you can even buy his two books. They are very theory heavy, but very useful.

After all of that you can start looking into older books about vacuum tubes and studying schematics.

ok good deal, thanks. thats more along the lines of what i was looking for.

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1223425

I started this thread a long time ago to help people in your position. I haven't updated it in a long time because I had to disappear into the medical system for a while. Hopefully I will be getting it back in shape soon.

There are a lot of links in there with very basic information about what tubes do as well.
Try reading Merlin blencowe's preamp book. If you don't understand it at first, don't be surprised, and get a beginner electronics book. I hope you're pretty good with math!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
awesome, thanks guys! much appreciated!

'08 PRS singlecut
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
http://youtu.be/pbBeuhticqI build one of these

I just built one of these LM386 amplifiers. It was a tough lesson in soldering, ohms, circuit boards, resistors, capacitors and burns.

It runs on a 9v and is also knows as the "cracker box amp" (google that these are pretty cheap to make. I've got about $25-$30 Dollars investment on mine (but $100 total due to learning the hard way).

If a better place to start is before that I'd like to know about it.

GOOD LUCK!
Last edited by caw1 at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by caw1
http://youtu.be/pbBeuhticqI build one of these

I just built one of these LM386 amplifiers. It was a tough lesson in soldering, ohms, circuit boards, resistors, capacitors and burns.

It runs on a 9v and is also knows as the "cracker box amp" (google that these are pretty cheap to make. I've got about $25-$30 Dollars investment on mine (but $100 total due to learning the hard way).

If a better place to start is before that I'd like to know about it.

GOOD LUCK!

ha! that thing looks awesome! i wouldnt mind having one of those laying around anyway, because i am constantly sitting on the couch with a guitar in my hands, it'd be nice to have something i can set on the little coffee table next to me and plug in. i think this is going to be my first project.....i also found a 1w tube amp somewhere on here, i think cathbard rec'd it to someone that ill prob move onto after this one. thanks again for the help everyone!

'08 PRS singlecut
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall