Im looking to get a new acoustic for Drop B tuning and i hear alot of people saying there is certain body types are best.

What body would you recommend?
I'd recommend getting a Baritone guitar. The scale length is properly adjusted for the detuning and the body is built to match. I'd imagine a GS/Jumbo would be the best size to handle a low tuning like B but anyone making you a baritone guitar would work with you.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
what companies make baritone acoustics? for like under 400
Last edited by alfguitar992 at Mar 14, 2012,
....That's not going to happen. The only big brand company I know that makes a baritone is Taylor and theirs is well over 2.5k. It wouldn't surprise me if some random company like Ovation made one too, though. If you want a real baritone guitar you're going to have to go to a custom lutheir, it's sort of a specialty item.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
thank you. ive heard the getting a guitar with a wider body like a grand concert body would be good for it
Alvarez makes a baritone acoustic for like 320 I believe
Fender Telecaster
Squier Jazzmaster
Fender Deluxe Stratocaster
Hagstrom F-301
Epiphone Dot

Big Muff Pi
Small Clone
MXR Phase 90
Dunlop CFH
Crate V33H>Bugera2x12

Bunderthird (Alt Rock)
www.facebook.com/bunderthird
Ovation does make a great baritone. thd D778. they can be had for around 400US. some of the earlier USA built ones are still around, albeit very rare. those would be the better ones to find. Ebay usually has a few going. i'm looking to get one eventually.
First, the guitar has to be long scale, (25.5"). Then you up the string gauge to medium or heavy, and possibly raise the action.

I'm going to suppose any guitar meeting this requirement would also need to have a tight bass. For example, many dreadnaughts have a lot of bass, but it tends toward being a bit sloppy.

The disclaimer, this route is far from ideal, and your results may not be what you'd hoped for.

In the electric world, this is where you reach for the 7 string, and there are plenty of those in the mid price range.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 15, 2012,