Page 1 of 2
http://baldursgate.com/

Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition are under development and will be released by Summer 2012:

Now, however, Baldur's Gate is getting a rebirth in the form of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Announced by Beamdog late yesterday, few details are available beyond the involvement of Beamdog subsidiary Overhaul Games - staffed, we note, by a selection of former BioWare employees who worked on the original release.

According to Joystiq, the Enhanced Edition is more than a re-release. 'We have the original source code,' a company representative told the site, 'and are doing a significant update.'

The company hints that the Enhanced Edition will include new content, expanding the limits of the game, along with an update to the original's Infinity Engine which will bring higher-definition visuals. Release platforms have yet to be confirmed, with a PC release almost certain but the possibility of a console release not being ruled out.

HOLY SHIT!
ggg1 ggg3

Last edited by behind_you at Mar 16, 2012,
Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
What's the best Baldur's Gate? I wanna know, I've heard about em.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by behind_you
http://baldursgate.com/

Just noticed this. It's counting down with 15 hours remaining.

I think they might be announcing a new sequel. HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT.

I, too, am subscribed to r/gaming.
Quote by Carnivean
What's the best Baldur's Gate? I wanna know, I've heard about em.
There's only two and they're both based on the same story. And they're both amazing. Try the first one.

Quote by metal4eva_22
I just saw it on the first page. I'm subscribed now, though

Quote by DonGlover
Baldur's Gate III: The Black Hound
Wiki says it was cancelled in 2003. Comeback?

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by metal4eva_22

Omg me too!

Common speculation is that it's either a graphical update or an iOS port considering how close it is to ME3's release. It doesn't really seem like it will have the company's attention to be a full-on sequel.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
You kids and your anime.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Holy Fuicking Shit Dicks, Ive Not Been This Excited For A Game Since Neverwinter Nights
Oh shit, does anyone remember Champions Of Norrath? Ohhh man, I love that game so fucking much.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
You're the biggest dick we've had in the Pit for a while.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Stop talking, you have are the biggest dick the pit has seen in a while.
Just noticed this on reddit, but if you viewed the source code of the page (in chrome, you type view-source:http://baldursgate.com/), you'll see this:

<!-- March 14, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- It is coming. -->

ggg1 ggg3

Man... this is too good to be true whatever it is. Although bioware doesn't sound so good lately...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
and not a single fuck was given
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Wow... I am so excite... they'll probably butcher it though...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by devourke
I don't know what this game is
You poor, poor soul.
Quote by devourke
This countdown should cater to my GMT+12 needs.
Quote by Primus2112
and not a single fuck was given
ggg1 ggg3

Last edited by behind_you at Mar 15, 2012,
baldur's gate 3: the sellout
bioware has been so bad lately i cant trust them anymore, especially after ME3.
Quote by ironman1478
baldur's gate 3: the sellout
bioware has been so bad lately i cant trust them anymore, especially after ME3.

because me3 was such a terrible game. people need to stop bitching about it and wait and see what bioware has in store for us. I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the real ending yet.

on topic: if this is a sequel I'm gonna take a shit, get a frying pan and flip it.
Sail upon the open skies
I'm not gonna keep my hopes up - likely this is just some lame conversion I am not interested in. If so, well, happiness to all those who do give a crap.

But a sequel? That would be sweet, though not with the new edition D&D rules.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Mud Sergeant of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

"Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join."
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Kind of excited by news but not really.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I still haven't beaten the second one. I guess I'm falling behind.
I'm just like the Jonas Brothers,

I'm no longer relevant and write mediocre music.

Hhaha what a big ****ing disappointment. "Enhanced version" announcement after over 10 years since Baldur's II? Clearly these games don't have enough demand to release a completely new installation.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
Hhaha what a big ****ing disappointment. "Enhanced version" announcement after over 10 years since Baldur's II? Clearly these games don't have enough demand to release a completely new installation.

You have no idea how popular the series is. If they were to make a sequel, there's a very high chance of it turning out shitty. That's why they didn't want to fuck it up with a new installation.
ggg1 ggg3

^Even with the Enhanced edition there are people complaining about it not following (probably) the 2.0 D&D rules.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
Quote by Ostinattos
^Even with the Enhanced edition there are people complaining about it not following (probably) the 2.0 D&D rules.
Well, the staff that worked on the original BG and BGII are developing the Enhanced Edition, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Also, typical of Diablo III being announced right after the Baldur's Gate countdown started.
ggg1 ggg3

I still can't decide whether I'm happy.

I am because it'll look great which will make it easier to play, and having it on one DVD will be incredible compared to 5 cds. But at the same time, the shit graphics and annoying cd's were part of the charm of replaying it countless times.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by behind_you

You have no idea how popular the series is. If they were to make a sequel, there's a very high chance of it turning out shitty. That's why they didn't want to fuck it up with a new installation.

That is complete bullshit. Releasing new installations of classic games is a huge industry. Everyone does it. Just look at Blizzard Ent. A company is not going to avoid making another chapter to the series just because they are ****ing afraid it wont turn out good.

And I do know how popular the series is; I am very disappointed that there will not be a new sequel. Isn't Dragon Age: Origins pretty much a new modern Baldur's Gate with a whole bunch of other stuff added anyway? I play that and it's awesome.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
That is complete bullshit. Releasing new installations of classic games is a huge industry. Everyone does it. Just look at Blizzard Ent. A company is not going to avoid making another chapter to the series just because they are ****ing afraid it wont turn out good.
And quite a large portion of those sequels turn out to be crap. Companies aren't afraid of doing this because the game will make money anyway.

Also:

After a quick 24-hour countdown yesterday to what we were hoping would be a Baldur's Gate 3 announcement, we were only slightly disappointed when baldursgate.com (which is currently down) revealed Beamdog's latest project: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. "It's not a repackage. We have the original source code and are doing a significant update," a Beamdog rep told Joystiq. They're definitely adding "new, original content."

http://www.complex.com/video-games/2012/03/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-coming-this-summer-its-not-a-repackage-of-original

Quote by Carnivean
Isn't Dragon Age: Origins pretty much a new modern Baldur's Gate with a whole bunch of other stuff added anyway?
No.

http://littlebobeep.com/2010/dragon-age-isnt-baldurs-gate/
ggg1 ggg3

never massive on baldurs gate.

I'm looking forward to diablo 3 though.
now extra flamey
Quote by behind_you
And quite a large portion of those sequels turn out to be crap. Companies aren't afraid of doing this because the game will make money anyway.

Thanks. That just proves there is some other reason behind not making an official new sequel than being afraid to **** it up.
Quote by Overlord
^I'm looking forward to both of them.

Did any of you guys played Neverwinter Nights? I loved that game, one of the best video game adaptations of D&D IMO.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Steam/XBL Gamertag: Ostinattos

Why not Zoidberg?

Note: Every time someone posts <3 all I see is testicles with a party hat.
This is exciting and unexpected news. I dug the shit out of the Baldur's Gate games.

Seriously, I have replayed these games so many times.

So. Many. Fucking. Times.

Quote by Carnivean
Isn't Dragon Age: Origins pretty much a new modern Baldur's Gate with a whole bunch of other stuff added anyway? I play that and it's awesome.

This. It's one of the things I loved most about Dragon Age. Especially when I pulled the camera back in the castles and dungeons.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Quote by Carnivean
Thanks. That just proves there is some other reason behind not making an official new sequel than being afraid to **** it up.
Of course they're making the Enhanced Edition for profit. (if that's what you're saying) But they also don't feel like fucking up gem.

Quote by Ikey
never massive on baldurs gate.

I'm looking forward to diablo 3 though.

Quote by Ostinattos
^I'm looking forward to both of them.

Did any of you guys played Neverwinter Nights? I loved that game, one of the best video game adaptations of D&D IMO.
I have the Neverwinter Nights 2 installation cd around here somewhere. I plan on playing it after the finals.
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you
Of course they're making the Enhanced Edition for profit.

Yes, but imagine how much more of a profit they would make if they were releasing a new sequel?

$

$

$

With "just an enhanced version" (albeit it still sounds awesome), a good amount of fans will probably opt not to fork over the 60$ for the exact same game with just a graphic makeover. However, I will be doing so simply because I've never played either Baldur I or II, and the enhanced version will be even more of a treat for a first-time player of the series.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
Yes, but imagine how much more of a profit they would make if they were releasing a new sequel?

$

$

$
Yes, but then you'd have fans saying 'They fudged up the series!!!' and if another sequel was to be released afterward, it wouldn't profit as much. Look at Mass Effect, for example. I am not familiar with the game but everyone seems to be disappointed with the 3rd one. If Mass Effect 4 is created, probably a lot fewer would buy it.

Quote by Carnivean
With "just an enhanced version" (albeit it still sounds awesome), a good amount of fans will probably opt not to fork over the 60$ for the exact same game with just a graphic makeover. However, I will be doing so simply because I've never played either Baldur I or II, and the enhanced version will be even more of a treat for a first-time player of the series.
Well, if they get the storytelling done right (Like BGI and II), it will be fantastic.
ggg1 ggg3

Yes, but then, even with one shitty sequel, you can release yet more after that and capitalize on the "oh maybe this one will be much better, maybe this one will finally take us back the golden age of blah blah". So once you have that one or two classic games as your base for success in the past, you can do a whollle lot in the future, and keep pumping out shitty sequels essentially as "bait", and tons of people will bite, even if those sequels keep turning out to be sub-par. There's always gonna be that hope of getting a sequel that finally returns to what initially made the series great.. and that hope is damn detrimental to a fan's pocketbook.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
Yes, but then, even with one shitty sequel, you can release yet more after that and capitalize on the "oh maybe this one will be much better, maybe this one will finally take us back the golden age of blah blah". So once you have that one or two classic games as your base for success in the past, you can do a whollle lot in the future, and keep pumping out shitty sequels essentially as "bait", and tons of people will bite, even if those sequels keep turning out to be sub-par. There's always gonna be that hope of getting a sequel that finally returns to what initially made the series great.. and that hope is damn detrimental to a fan's pocketbook.
(I can only speak about this though my own perspective)

Baldur's Gate II was released back in 2000. If a sequel was made and released in 2012 and it turned out to be shitty, I would probably think that the series is at it's end, considering how long it has been since the game was great.

But of course, people are prone to the 'baiting' strategy.
ggg1 ggg3

Page 1 of 2