I imagine this must be common knowledge, but I have a question about proper settings on an amplifier head when its used in conjunction with a distortion pedal.

So I bought my first stack pretty recently (Peavey VK100), it became pretty clear quickly that the built in distortion wasn't exactly what I was looking for, so I started experimenting with pedals. After messing witha few overdrive and distortion pedals I finally decided on an MXR Fullbore Metal pedal because it was relatively cheap and I figured it suited my purposes.

The pedal has low/mid/high knobs, I was wondering what should be done with the settings on the head itself (bass/mid/tremble). Should the settings head and the pedal match up? Should the settings on the head be put at 12 o'clock? or is it really just a preference thing?

Thanks in advance for the help!
It's preference.

If I were you I would start with everything at 12, then tweak and change until I find what I'm looking for.
---
Quote by Robfreitag
It's preference.

If I were you I would start with everything at 12, then tweak and change until I find what I'm looking for.

Seconded. However, my preference is to first zero out the pedal (everything but vol/level), dial in the amp as good as you can get it, then add to the pedal EQs to see what you can get. I feel that doing it this way allows you to build off the amp's sound more quickly and isn't as piecemeal as just playing around. Hope it works out.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz