So I came across a song in a story I was reading, and I decided that I want to put some music to it. Sadly, I've never written a song in my life, and my knowledge of chord progressions and such is practically nil.

Here are the lyrics:

I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?

All things will end in time, this coming storm won’t linger
Why should we live as if there’s nothing more?
So hold me ‘neath the thunderclouds, my heart held in your hands,
Our love will keep the monsters from our door.

For I know tomorrow will be a better day.
Yes, I believe tomorrow can be a better day…

My hope had been that I could make the song a little haunting, (In the story it's played at one of the main characters' funeral) almost something like Malukah's Age of Aggression cover (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNDT7EInclo). Everytime I hear it, I get shivers lol.

So can anyone point me in the direction of some good chord progressions to use, or just some pointers overall?

Thanks in advance
i'm not a writer, but i tried it with C/Dm/F/Em. it seemed to work. i kept changing the timing and progression and it was ok. i only spent a 15 minutes playing with it though. those chords seemed to me to fit the melancholy character of the lyrics.
if you want it to be sad and haunting , minor scale would be suggested - again neither am I a song writer - but have being studying a bit of music theory.
You could add Minor Suspended 4 chords to add a bit of a different vibes at parts.
I suggest e minor as it's pretty sad, but to add some uplift, maybe a c minor? I really don't know.
@naf456 Trolling or just trying to sound smart? There are no minor suspended 4 chords because you exchange the third (which makes the chord major/minor) and add a fourth instead. The pitch of the note doesn't either make it sound "more" sad, it's all about note choise.

Listen to some sad songs you like, look what chords are used and use similar chords for your sad song. Also, the melody ontop of the chords is important to make it sound "sad".