Page 1 of 2
The remains of what may be a previously unknown human species have been identified in southern China.

The bones, which represent at least five individuals, have been dated to between 11,500 and 14,500 years ago.

But scientists are calling them simply the Red Deer Cave people, after one of the sites where they were unearthed.

The team has told the PLoS One journal that far more detailed analysis of the fossils is required before they can be ascribed to a new human lineage.

This is pretty cool. What do you guys think about this?

Edit: Oops, I derped and left out the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17370170
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Last edited by IRISH_PUNK13 at Mar 15, 2012,
Fake. Put here to test our faith.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Fake. Put here to test our faith.

At least put some effort into this weak trolling spree.
Quote by blake1221
At least put some effort into this weak trolling spree.

Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by jetfuel495
That's a fairly unattractive bone structure. No wonder they're extinct.

I agree.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by jetfuel495
That's a fairly unattractive bone structure. No wonder they're extinct.

how you gon' do him like dat?
Quote by guitarxo
Link

I fixed it already.

:3
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by blake1221
Coming from a personal fan of yours, I've seen you do better.

Well for the record, I don't "troll," blake, I occasionally post in a facetious manner that unintentionally draws people's ire.

But I'll do better, for my fans.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I fixed it already.

this is pretty cool though, would be useful to show all those derps who think evobio is a dead (lolpun) subject
cat
Quote by killer puppy

You know, I always wonder who decides to put a beard or other hair on models like this! Kind of hard to tell if a skeleton that's been underground for thousands of years has facial hair!
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by ErikLensherr
Well for the record, I don't "troll," blake, I occasionally post in a facetious manner that unintentionally draws people's ire.

But I'll do better, for my fans.

I say, ol' chap, that's quite the classy definition of "trolling," as the youth say, that you have there.
Quote by Rogue Hermit
You know, I always wonder who decides to put a beard or other hair on models like this! Kind of hard to tell if a skeleton that's been underground for thousands of years has facial hair!

The decision to add facial hair or not is based on wether the creature lived before or after then invention of the razor.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Dirge Humani
This article should really say a new humanoid species was discovered. Just because it is a bipedal primate doesn't mean it is directly related to humans.

Plus, it would be much more interesting if there was an entirely different humanoid species living such a short time ago. Although you'd think that there would have been some clues around China as to other human-like things living there.
Quote by the bartender
The decision to add facial hair or not is based on wether the creature lived before or after then invention of the razor.

the brain is strong with this one.
Being a Bass player is pretty LOW i.m.o...
My Gear:
squier strat HSS
(coming soon) hand built superstrat style.
(coming soon) hand built mahogany spruce top acoustic.
Fender Mustang I 20w
Line 6 FLoor POD (standard)
Quote by Rogue Hermit

because they probably wouldn't have had razors an although you can knap flit into a razor it's more effort than it's worth, and a beard will help to keep you alive. I don't know why the artist made him look like he's just gotten back from the barbers if they're going for the 'accurate look' I do agree with you about it obscuring the face though, maybe they should do one with and one without hair.

Someone also said that it was a fake because of the age, I wouldn't be so sure of that. True in Europe and Africa modern humans (in an evolutionary sense) had emerged in Europe they might not yet (need to check my facts on this one) to china, also as early man began to spread he would have displaced earlier evolutionary forms of humans further and further away from Africa and Europe (one of the reasons for different peoples e.g. east Asians and Africans) looking different is that early humans cross-bred with different earlier species of human in north western europe it was Neanderthals hence why those of Caucasian decent then to be on average more heavily built and have traits like red hair.

This may simply be an example of an earlier evolution of humans getting pushed further and further east into new territories by the arrival of better hunters.

sorry about the maHOOsive post anthropology is one of my interests.
Quote by sillybuuger12
because they probably wouldn't have had razors an although you can knap flit into a razor it's more effort than it's worth, and a beard will help to keep you alive. I don't know why the artist made him look like he's just gotten back from the barbers if they're going for the 'accurate look' I do agree with you about it obscuring the face though, maybe they should do one with and one without hair.

Someone also said that it was a fake because of the age, I wouldn't be so sure of that. True in Europe and Africa modern humans (in an evolutionary sense) had emerged in Europe they might not yet (need to check my facts on this one) to china, also as early man began to spread he would have displaced earlier evolutionary forms of humans further and further away from Africa and Europe (one of the reasons for different peoples e.g. east Asians and Africans) looking different is that early humans cross-bred with different earlier species of human in north western europe it was Neanderthals hence why those of Caucasian decent then to be on average more heavily built and have traits like red hair.

This may simply be an example of an earlier evolution of humans getting pushed further and further east into new territories by the arrival of better hunters.

sorry about the maHOOsive post anthropology is one of my interests.

theres really no way to prove that humans crossbred with different species of human. although its probable(some statistic said that 80% of males living in rural areas have had sexual encounters with animals, so humans will pretty much **** anything.) unless you have some mitochondrial Neanderthal DNA then there is no real way of proving it. nice theory though.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Harvey Swick
some statistic said that 80% of males living in rural areas have had sexual encounters with animals

Living next to Australia, I can verify this.
Quote by Dirge Humani
We do have neanderthal DNA samples, and there is Neanderthal DNA in humans. It isn't a theory.

If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Harvey Swick
theres really no way to prove that humans crossbred with different species of human. although its probable(some statistic said that 80% of males living in rural areas have had sexual encounters with animals, so humans will pretty much **** anything.) unless you have some mitochondrial Neanderthal DNA then there is no real way of proving it. nice theory though.

I'd agree that it is a theory (isn't everything) however i think it's the most likley explanation, THIS will explain it far better than I ever could.

as for your comment about humans screwing just about anything with a pulse (and many things without) that, I whole heartedly agree with! there are three things humans are seriously good at, killing one another in new and weird ways, creating new foods and ****ing in some seriously creative ways (ten minutes with an internet connection is all it takes to learn THAT one!)
Last edited by sillybuuger12 at Mar 15, 2012,
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

(Invalid img)

?
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Mar 15, 2012,
Quote by captaincrunk
They're just not old enough. We were homo sapiens sapiens well before then. So no, I don't believe a word of it.

Just because we had evolved into homo sapiens sapiens by then, that doesn't mean that other species of hominid couldn't have also existed at that time. That's kinda like saying that apes shouldn't exist because they should have all evolved into humans by now.
Remember, there are remains of Homo floresiensis that have been dated to only around 13,000 years ago, which is about the same age as this apparently new species.

Quote by Dirge Humani
We do have neanderthal DNA samples, and there is Neanderthal DNA in humans. It isn't a theory.

This is true, (although there is a theory connected to how Neanderthal DNA came to be present in modern non-African populations)
According to the evidence, it seems that 'anatomicaly modern humans' may have mated with at least two groups of ancient hominids, Neanderthals and Denisovans.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Mar 15, 2012,
Quote by killer puppy

i think this is a really cool pic. im struck with awe with this discovery. i hope it leads to something big
I think this commentary in the article is interesting;
"We're trying to be very careful at this stage about definitely classifying them," said study co-leader Darren Curnoe from the University of New South Wales, Australia.

"One of the reasons for that is that in the science of human evolution or palaeoanthropology, we presently don't have a generally agreed, biological definition for our own species (Homo sapiens), believe it or not. And so this is a highly contentious area,"

It's absolutely true, it's been argued before that various races of humans have genetic differences that could lead to them being classed as sub-species of homo sapiens.
Quote by Dirge Humani

Except in native africans.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Quote by Zox
Except in native africans.

Which adds to the evidence put forward in the theory that homo sapiens once mated with homo neanderthalensis.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Which adds to the evidence put forward in the theory that homo sapiens once mated with homo neanderthalensis.

Correct.
¯|(°_o)/¯
Lol just searched....so much homo in this thread

But srs... cool find, bro
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
I can't remember where exactly i heard this, but isn't it a lot of Chinese scientist sort of pet theory that they evolved separately to the rest of humanity? Is it possible this is some form of confirmation bias?

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Page 1 of 2