The high e and the b string buzzes slightly even when playing the upper frets and it sounds bad when i strum open chords. it gets worse when you go up the neck. I have an Epiphone Masterbilt and its a great guitar except this fact. Do you think a setup would fix it completely? would i need to sacrifice action to get it from stop buzzing?
Quote by musicandthewave
....[ ].....Do you think a setup would fix it completely? would i need to sacrifice action to get it from stop buzzing?
Unless this guitar has a high fret (*) in the upper registers, then yes, you would.

(*) Possibly not for you to determine or deal with, depending on your level of experience.

Possibility "B", is that the saddle is too short, but only on the high string side. In this case you replace the saddle, and must trade some action on the e-1 b-2, side of the board, but the bass string height remains the same.

Just as a personal observation, a guitar's action is never as low as the player would like it to be, thinks it can be, or should be. And yes, that includes my guitars....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 15, 2012,
Quote by another_dave
It might do. It might be you just need new strings.

Take your guitar in to your local music shop, and explain the symptoms to them.

Taylor have a PDF of common causes/locations of string buzzes that might be of interest.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs/breakage_and_buzzing.pdf

Speaking in a sweeping generalization, older strings generally require more tension to hold them at pitch value than new strings.

With that said, you're quite possibly right, but the premise is just a hair counter intuitive.