Quoute from Wikipedia:
"In Music in the Western civilization by Piero Weiss and Richard Taruskin, we find the following definition of virtuoso:
"...a virtuoso was, originally, a highly accomplished musician, but by the nineteenth century the term had become restricted to performers, both vocal and instrumental, whose technical accomplishments were so pronounced as to dazzle the public."
The defining element of virtuosity is the performance ability of the musician in question, who is capable of displaying feats of skill well above the average performer. "
Quote by Wisthekiller
How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?
Quote by Kalo Hanaka
The defining element of virtuosity is the performance ability of the musician in question, who is capable of displaying feats of skill well above the average performer. "

By that definition I think we could all be considered virtuosos here lol.
Quote by jimicrackcorn
By that definition I think we could all be considered virtuosos here lol.

If we were all considered virtuosos, then the bar would be raised for what would actually be considered a virtuoso then wouldn't it?
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by GibsonMan321
If we were all considered virtuosos, then the bar would be raised for what would actually be considered a virtuoso then wouldn't it?

Yes.
Quote by GibsonMan321

No no no, in order for the perception of guitar virtuosity to be raised, the average guitarists skill level would have to increase since that's what virtuosity is compared to. So if we were considered virtuosos compared to the average guitarist(which was the joke) nothing would change until the average guitarists got better to the point where the gap between average and us(the virtuosos) was so small that you couldn't tell the difference.

But then again, if you're speaking of relative virtuosity then yes the bar would be raised, but only for those holding the title of virtuoso. That's a whole other discussion though.

It was just a joke however, meaning that the average guitarist is so bad that anyone who actually puts some time into it is capable of "displaying feats of skill well above the average performer." and is therefore, by a definition, a virtuoso. That does not however mean the bar would be raised, because the average guitarists(which is what we're being compared to) would still suck. It's all relative though.
How do you define average ?

If the average guitar player can play a few open chords, power chords and noodle about in the "box" in the key of e minor then by that defintion, i am a virtuoso.

The standards of virtuoso are raising. Hendrix would have once been considered a virtuoso, and van halen. Gary moore raised the standards for sheer chops and musicianship and guys like gilbert, vai, shawn lane etc have furthered the standard of technical ability.
Quote by mrbabo91
How do you define average ?

If the average guitar player can play a few open chords, power chords and noodle about in the "box" in the key of e minor then by that defintion, i am a virtuoso.

Yeah... that's what the joke was..
Quote by 1998metalhead1
what does it mean to be a virtuoso guitar player?

If you're one, you'd know, so don't worry about it. Play your guitar and have fun.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by 1998metalhead1
what does it mean to be a virtuoso guitar player?

To be so damn amazing you make people stare and listen to your playing, but you are so ignorant of your true skills you do not think yourself as a virtuoso. That is a virtuoso.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
unfortunately, there isn't really a clear cut definition of the term. as people have pointed out, what does it mean to be an average player? if you can't really define that, then how can you fully define something that is "well above average". and what does "well above average" mean exactly?

on top of that, i see people claiming certain players are a virtuoso when i really don't agree. people like eric clapton or jimi hendrix for example. i've heard people claim they are virtuosos but really, i don't agree. i think they are great players, and like them both very much but they aren't virtuosos in my books. you might say "yeah but at the TIME..." and i don't agree with that either because there were plenty of jazz, fusion, and classical virtuosos at the time. that kind of playing just didn't reach popular music yet.

basically i think a virtuoso needs to display a wide range of techniques, & does these techniques clean and with control. they should also display a certain amount of speed. probably at least 10-13nps or more. virtuosos need to display some sort of complexity in their playing. they should also imo be able to play a variety of styles/genres.
Quote by Sean0913
Personally I don't think it means anything.

Best,

Sean