Hey guys. I might get the m-audio fast track pretty soon. It looks like a decent interface with a lot of features. Has anybody here used one? And how good will it be for recording stuff using revalver or other VSTs? Thanks!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
I have the c600 and would Highly reccomend it it keeps everything neat, sounds great and is really easy to use. It has some of the nicer pre amps in the fastrack family
I have the Fast Track USB. Latency is not a problem, and I like the drivers. It records well and the pre-amps seem good and clean but I have had hardware problems with it. First the left channel (rear RCA jacks) of the line out to my receiver stopped working and I had to RMA it. When it came back, that was fixed but now the Direct Monitor button no longer functions.

This cover of John cougar's Authority Song was done using it and Reaper DAW, my cheap SX Telecaster copy with Revalver (3120 amp), my Washburn bass, and Addictive Drums: Fast Track USB recording sample.

That said I also tried a highly recommended Focusrite Saffire 6 USB for twice the price and hated it. It did about the same quality job as far as the actual recording. It made all kinds of noise whenever connected, even if not in use. Just rolling my mouse wheel made popping sounds over the speakers. Worst of all, it also would just randomly stop working completely and would require unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable for it to work again.
Last edited by Elvin Presler at Mar 16, 2012,
I had an M Audio Fast Track USB and didn't like it, got a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 a couple of months ago, love it, I can get a much better sound on to my pc with no latency at all in Reaper.
^^Alright! Thanks! Will I be able to hear the other tracks in the DAW through the headphones jack? Any other problems like noise? Scarlett costs a lot where I live (India). That clip is pretty good?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
And have you tried running it on windows xp? Does it work well? Ive heard mixed opinions about this device. Lots of people say the thing doesnt even work!!!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
I'm not a fan of M-Audio stuff, in general. The pres in the cheap ones tend to be incredibly mediocre - I'd suggest getting a focusrite scarlett 2i2 instead, they're much better.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by amithkallupalam
Will I be able to hear the other tracks in the DAW through the headphones jack? Any other problems like noise? Scarlett costs a lot where I live (India). That clip is pretty good?

I can't answer about Windows XP because I have not used it with my Fast Track, but I assume it would work fine. Most people with problems or noise have the problems because they don't set up their PC properly.

You can hear the recorded tracks through headphones, yes. For example, I can record vocals from my mic with the clip (5 tracks of drum, guitar x 3, and bass) I posted playing through my headphones and monitor it all as long as I don't add effects to the vocals while recording. If I do that I get latency.

Quote by rrrsiss
I can get a much better sound on to my pc with no latency at all in Reaper.

Better than what? Using what? I use Reaper for my DAW too.
Last edited by Elvin Presler at Mar 17, 2012,
Quote by rrrsiss
I can get a much better sound on to my pc with no latency at all in Reaper.

Yup, I had a latency problem with Audacity, this disappeared as soon as I started using Reaper. I can now play along to a backing track while recording with no playback issues at all.
Not sure why this is, does Reaper automatically compensate for latency or something?
Alright thanks everybody!
Won't be getting the scarlett because its 200 dollars over here. Way too costly.
Also, when recording direct through a usb interface into the computer, and using an amp sim for effects, does the quality of the amp sim matter more than the quality of the interface?
Can the m audio fast track sound as good as this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az9Ldr0Af4M
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Probably. But honestly, that sounds awful.
I'd rather a tone like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-l0u-b77H0
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 18, 2012,