Are strings that important for someone learning or what? What I mean is... I just got a Squier Vibe 60 and read that the stock strings suck.
I am curious that while to an accomplished guitarist, this might be true, but to a new guy, is it that important?
If so, or if strings truly make better/different sounds.... are there things to look for in strings?
The stock strings will be fine for just starting out. You're going to want to change them every month or two anyway, so just grab some D'Addarios or Ernie Balls when you restring, and you'll be all set.
The biggest mistake people tend to make with strings when learning to play is leaving the same set on for six months. Nothing sucks worse than rusty old strings.
You probably won't be able to tell the difference at first, but will develop your tone and touch preferences over time.

For now, just focus on learning.

Do NOT fall into the 'I Need really heavy gauge strings to sound great" trap.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I agree with both Roc8995 & Arby911.

The Squire Vibe 60 comes with "nines" standard - which means the 1st string (thinnest) is 0.009 inches in diameter. the 6th string (thickest) is 0.042 inches in diameter.
So, when you go to the store or online to buy new strings, keep that in mind.

You can change gauges, but then the guitar will have to be setup. Concentrate on the basic learning stuff first. Be patient, and welcome to what I hope will be a life long part of your existence! (I've been playing since 1955, and only stopped for a couple years when my kids were born).
Quote by Roc8995
(a) The stock strings will be fine for just starting out. (b) You're going to want to change them every month or two anyway,

(a) agreed. unless you can actively feel they're "bad", they'll be fine.

(b) normally i agree with you, colin, but i don't think i do here. I fully admit i don't change my strings anywhere near often enough, but how often you need to change them is very dependent on how much you play, the chemical composition of your sweat, and the climate you're in. I can get away with about a year between changes without any noticeable deterioration in the strings. I've heard other people say that after playing one time they need to change them as their sweat just kills them.

I'm just saying it's not a black-and-white "YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR STRINGS EVERY MONTH!" thing. If you still think they're fine, they probably are. there's no point in wasting money (not to mention time which is probably better spent practising) for no good reason.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yea leave the strings on there too long and you will be playing a cheese grater soon enough
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Just a suggestion, be sure to try different string brands and gauges. Start with something not too heavy like 8s, 9s, or 10s.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) agreed. unless you can actively feel they're "bad", they'll be fine.

(b) normally i agree with you, colin, but i don't think i do here. I fully admit i don't change my strings anywhere near often enough, but how often you need to change them is very dependent on how much you play, the chemical composition of your sweat, and the climate you're in. I can get away with about a year between changes without any noticeable deterioration in the strings. I've heard other people say that after playing one time they need to change them as their sweat just kills them.

I'm just saying it's not a black-and-white "YOU MUST CHANGE YOUR STRINGS EVERY MONTH!" thing. If you still think they're fine, they probably are. there's no point in wasting money (not to mention time which is probably better spent practising) for no good reason.

i am luckily one of those type as well. six months heavy playing on a set of d'addarios is when i start noticing things i don't like and start to wear.

bottom line, as with anything, do what works for you.

i would advise somebody or one of my new students to maybe change strings every other month for a little while if they are lasting, so they develop a feel for themselves that it needs to be restrung. they may go within a week or two, but i will notice on their guitar how strings and general feel is every few weeks. i will drag a guitar i haven't restrung in a year or two of the closet. i tell them that that is way too long, then i show them my most recently restrung. i will show them how to string their guitar one or two times and do a quick five minute setup free just to be nice once or twice. i usually go over on lessons though. i sell 45min so if i don't have an hour for them this week they don't expect it. i get $25 for 45 min.

damn that was long. sorry for the drama... lol. i must say i don't do this too often but i have been drinking for a while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
As an addendum, I recommend picking up a string cleaner, like GHS's Fast Fret. It's cheap enough (about the cost of a set of strings, isn't it?) that even if it only helps increase the longevity of the strings 5%, it's worth the investment.
I am a fake mountain.
^ i hate fast fret. I think it makes the strings feel horrible.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i am luckily one of those type as well. six months heavy playing on a set of d'addarios is when i start noticing things i don't like and start to wear.

bottom line, as with anything, do what works for you.

i would advise somebody or one of my new students to maybe change strings every other month for a little while if they are lasting, so they develop a feel for themselves that it needs to be restrung. they may go within a week or two, but i will notice on their guitar how strings and general feel is every few weeks. i will drag a guitar i haven't restrung in a year or two of the closet. i tell them that that is way too long, then i show them my most recently restrung. i will show them how to string their guitar one or two times and do a quick five minute setup free just to be nice once or twice. i usually go over on lessons though. i sell 45min so if i don't have an hour for them this week they don't expect it. i get $25 for 45 min.

damn that was long. sorry for the drama... lol. i must say i don't do this too often but i have been drinking for a while.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I do like fast fret, It really improves strings live and feel in my case.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
I have the corrosive alien sweat mentioned above. If I use uncoated strings, they last maybe 2 weeks at the most before they are dull and crusty. It really doesn't matter if I wipe them down or not.

I switched to elixirs, and they last a LOT longer than my old EB's. Twice the cost, but last easily 5-10 times as long. I can go months between changes now. In fact, I usually change them due to strings breaking now, and not because they're all funky. I never had a set of strings last long enough to break one before switching to nanowebs.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Might want to go for 10's instead of 9's.
Less likely to break a string, and you wont need to adjust the guitar for that.

Oh and Dunlop string cleaner works miracles!
Last edited by Dunkelheit-164 at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by Dunkelheit-164
Might want to go for 10's instead of 9's.
Less likely to break a string, and you wont need to adjust the guitar for that.

yeah but you might have to get different fingers

i appreciate you're less likely to break a string, but that counts for little if you hate how they feel
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?