Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a new Delay pedal. I need one that can go from very short to very long Delay time. I'm looking at the Carbon Copy and one of the BOSS DD.

I really liked the Carbon Copy when I tried it, but I haven't tried the BOSS delays yet, and they seem to have extra features, which I don't even know if I'll need.

Any Thoughts on these?

Thanks
www.youtube.com/user/AlexRGuitar
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-TC electronic NovaSystem
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
The Boss DD7 is very nice, and can do just about everything. It's probably my favorite, on the (relatively) cheaper side of pedals.

For really cheap, the Ibanez DE7 is just awesome for the price. I think it's discontinued now though, so you'd have to snoop around ebay.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Define "very short" to "very long".

Most analog delays can't do any more than half a second, whereas a BOSS unit can do several seconds of delay.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I do like my EHX Stereo Memory Man w/Hazarai

Has a very lush sound to it, I highly recommend it

Gibson Buckethead Les Paul & Peter Frampton Les Paul
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
EHX Memory Man/Hazarai
Digitch Whammy
Sovtek Straight 4x12
Herdim Picks
Laney Linebacker 50 Reverb
MXR Phase 90
Thank's guys I'll look at those other ones.

As for the delay time I'm not sure exactly how to describe what I' thinking. probably just bit less than a second, but when I tried the Carbon Copy I was able to get what I was looking for, so It might be less than that. The longer Delay would be nice to experiment with and try new things.
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
I just found a Stereo Memory Man/Hazarai for $150 on Craigslist on my area. Im gonna research all of these and see.
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
hmm i like the DIY Echo Base pedals. but if you ask me

carbon copy < DD-7

try a memory man, or memory boy or a memory toy by electro harmonix
Definately recommend the Boss DD-20. 4 presets, loads of different modes. 28 second delay times. Looper. And things cooler than all of that:
* you can make it output wet and dry from seperate channels - imagine your dry signal clean, and your echoes with phasing of serious chorus on them!
* it can do super short delay times down to 1ms - which gives you the coolest craziest metallic sounds.
* it can kinda be pushed into self-modulation though its damn loud.
Anyhow get it. Its not that expensive and its even cheaper second hand, and like all Boss stuff it will probably never break and uses a sensible common powersupply
Eventide Timefactor
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
i've got the carbon copy. sounds super nice with cleans but it seriously lacks with any amount of dirt.

check out the tc electronics flashback delay. that should do everything you want and then some. also has some really cool features like the tone prints, looper, tons of different delay types... etc
Quote by kellydoug
Definately recommend the Boss DD-20.

+1

On a tighter budget the Digitech Digidelay is quite nice as well.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
I used to have a carbon copy, and it was a great pedal. I switched to rack effects though, so got rid of it. It sounded good in the loop, or out in front of the amp.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
the question there is analog vs digital. a boss delay will never sound analog, even on the analog settings.

i am quite happy with my memory toy. i dont need a ton of bells a wistles, and i dont use a delay THAT much to require a tap tempo. most of my delays are shorter anyways.

when does anybody ever use more than abut 1/2 of delay with a lot of feedback or repeats? ive tried, i cannot make itsound good. unless your playing some weird hippie, acid rock experimental shi........
So after playing with Delays for a while this week I need one that'll do at least 615ms. I might be ok with the Carbon Copy which does 600ms. I also saw that Joyo has a nice looking delay which looks appealing because it also does 600ms, since they seem to have nice pedals. I love my Ultimate Drive.

But then I was thinking, what If I go to Zzounds and get a Line6 DL4, which seem to be very popular. and get the payment plan which will only be 62.50 a month for 4 months. Any one has any experience with this pedal?

Thanks
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
I really like the Arion SAD-1 delay. A very warm sounding delay with a great range. If you can forgive it being "non-true bypass" and being a bit of a "tone-sucker" as some put it, it gives you awesome vintage delay. I generally use mine as a "reverb" with my Vox AC30/6tb and as a "chorus" for at least one song in my set. It's expensive, for what it is, but it's a great delay to own.

Edit: I never experienced it as being a "tonesucker" like some people describe it. It's a great piece of equipment. I highly suggest it.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 22, 2012,
Never heard of it. I'll check it out. Thanks!
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1
-BBEBoostaGrande
-Moded FabEcho
+1 for literally anything TC Electronic!!!

I have a Flashback delay which of course is digital. BUT the algorithms they use are pretty damn good! It has a switch that will subdivide delays (1/4 1/8 or 1/16 I think) which is neat. It also comes with the whole Tone Print thing which I haven't really gotten to take advantage of until last night. There is an app that has all of the different artist Tone Prints (basically TCE allows artists to go in and customize a patch that you can upload to the pedal) and changed a few out for some seriously wicked delays from warm warbly analog tape delays to Gilmore style. AWESOME! If you don't have that, the 9 that come set up on it are great and you can plug it in via USB and get TP's. Its also true bypass and has the ability to be mono or stereo output. WAY cool pedal and if I remember, its about the same cost as the Carbon Copy. Only downside is it takes some tweaking to get some of the delays sounding how you want them.

+1 for the Carbon Copy as well!

Its my always on pedal. I love warm analog delay and it really brings everything alive. The option to have modulation on it is nice. MXR makes some stout pedals. This one is no exception.

If the CC is too dark for you (I've heard someone say that before) the Way Huge Aqua Puss is what I usually hear people going for instead. Same price, pretty much the same controls, no modulation and has a brighter overall tone.

I didn't so much enjoy the DL4... It felt superficial. Almost like it was reaching to set the bar as high as it could but didn't quite make it. Pretty sure most of the pros who use it have had it heavily modded starting with true bypass. I'm sure someone's gonna call blasphemy on this comment.

I wouldn't go BOSS unless you were getting one of their dual pedals like the Giga Delay (I think?) or the Roland Space Echo. From what I remember, they didn't sound as digital as the single stompboxes they had. IMO they sounded more alive.

If you have less in your budget, check out the EHX Memory Boy or Memory Toy. They're way affordable, easy to use and will probably get the job done.

If you have more in your budget: Strymon TimeLine, Eventide TimeFactor, (if you can stomach some of the rumors about the company) the JHS Panther, Strymon El Capistan (best tape delay replica I think I've EVER heard!!!) and I'm sure there are more, but those will get you started.
ΦΚΣ

Life is short. PLAY LOUD!
I've recently got the TC FLashback and it kicks arse - got a lot of delay modes + tap (or in this case strum) tempo which is vital as far as I'm concerned.
I'm liking the sound of the TC Electronic stuff. I'm going to look more into it and see what happens. Thanks a lot guys! very informative!!
Gear:
-Egnater Renegade
-LTD EC-401VF
-LTD EC-256
Pedals:
-Crybaby 535Q, & Volume
-Behringer VM1, VP1
-Line6 M5
-Joyo UD
-Boss NS-2, CH-1