Page 1 of 2
Greetings ultimate-guitarists and uhm...chicks..

After long search I found two quite good looking stacks but I can't decide between them.

I'm rather into thrash metal stuff, Metallica ofc., Slayer, Megadeth.
Now I'd like to have some opinions about these two babies...
I mean, the price is actually the same..

http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_valve_king_head_412_bundle.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/randall_kh120rhs.htm

Thanks to you guys in advance...Help me to decide :3
Find a place to play 'em and see which one you like better. Honestly, no one can really help you pick what YOU want. Both seem really nice though.
RoboHendrix wrote:

megaironpriest wrote:

Glad to see Bruce and Rob on there.

Stevie Wonder is a great singer but he would be really boring the watch, he just sits there the whole time

Stevie Wonder is blind...moron...
it looks like you are comparing apples to oranges, one is solid state and one is tube. If those are your only two choices then I would opt for the valveking stack. I have a feeling you will be happier with that one for a longer period of time, rather than the solid state randall. just my opinion though. Best of luck.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Um Peavey speakers suck balls.

IDK much about randals but I have a feeling their speakers do too.

Is the randall SS? If so, I think there are better SS amps out there.
None of those 2.
At that budget you better look for combos.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I haven't played the solid-state KH model but I own a Randall RX75RG2(their normal solid-state model, though mine's an '08 or '09 and there's a newer version now) and it's very nice for metal for a solid-state, but 670 Euros...? Iunno. I paid $400 for my RG2 and it's a 75-watt combo, more than loud enough for gigging with a drummer/band and easier to carry around than a half-stack would be(still a 50-pound amp, mind).

The Valvekings...? For thrash? Do you have a boost? A Valveking isn't going to get you enough gain for thrash without a boost, methinks.

I'd go with the Randall of the two, but I think you could do better(can you get Traynor amps over there? Traynor's really nice but I don't know if you can get them outside of Canada since they're owned by Yorkville, which is in turned owned by Long and McQuade).
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Quote by JesusCrisp
None of those 2.
At that budget you better look for combos.

Im suprised someone didnt say this sooner but he's right. I dont know how that money compared to USD but try to find a 5150 used or even a Peavey 6505 combo. I think the 6505 combo would be perfect for you.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Quote by Obama FTW
Im suprised someone didnt say this sooner but he's right. I dont know how that money compared to USD but try to find a 5150 used or even a Peavey 6505 combo. I think the 6505 combo would be perfect for you.

Nah, an XXX would be better. Maybe the Laney GH50L if he doesn't want cleans.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by AtaBorMan
Nah, an XXX would be better. Maybe the Laney GH50L if he doesn't want cleans.

Well obviously, a XXX is like a 6505/5150 but actually has good cleans. I've never played a Laney so I cant give an opinion on that but does he have enough for a XXX or GH50L? I dont know how his money converts to USD so my recommendations are limited.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
An XXX is not really like a 6505...

He could get either of them used, and a Harley Benton vintage 212.
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Why do you want a stack?
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by mystical_1

Quote by snipelfritz
What I always recommend to someone chomping at the bit for a metal stack is a 6505 112 combo. You're gonna get a better tone than a cheaper amp like the valveking (though it is quite good) and the randall. AND you're going to love your decision later for buying a combo amp because of its ease to transport...unlike a stack....that is if you decide in the 6505s favor. Oh....and the peavey logo lights up on the 6505 combo. That'll make anybody's noob sense tingle!
You're in England, I assume? You might be able to find a used Marshall DSL100 and 1960a within your budget. That'll do exactly what you want based on the bands you listed. JCM 900 heads also go for pretty cheap, but the DSL would be better (unless you stumble opon an SL-X model JCM900).
Amazed no-one said Bugera's stuff yet.

But you might want a fire extinguisher TS.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by JBailey23
What I always recommend to someone chomping at the bit for a metal stack is a 6505 112 combo. You're gonna get a better tone than a cheaper amp like the valveking (though it is quite good) and the randall. AND you're going to love your decision later for buying a combo amp because of its ease to transport

Uh.. Hold on a sec there sparky.... A 1x12 isn't going to move as much air as a 4x12 cabinet, so if that's what your looking for, a 1x12 combo will be a disappointment... Now I've got a Fender Twin Reverb combo that isn't much lighter than my Peavey Windsor and cab combined.

Perhaps not yourself, but I don't get why people try to "Change" the minds of folks that want something because they "Know Better"

OP... The Valve King, in my opinion is the better choice of the two...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by AtaBorMan
Maybe the Laney GH50L if he doesn't want cleans.

+1

he could get that + the harley benton 2x12 for another £150, if he can stretch a little.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AtaBorMan
An XXX is not really like a 6505...

He could get either of them used, and a Harley Benton vintage 212.

How is a XXX not similar to a 6505?
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Quote by Obama FTW
How is a XXX not similar to a 6505?

They're almost opposites. The 6505 is very dark and mid heavy. The XXX is really bright with a ton of highs. I'm not sure how you could think they're similar.

TS: Try to find a XXX or a Windsor. Neither amp you're looking at is very good for what you want, and you can definitely get better stuff for that price.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
They're almost opposites. The 6505 is very dark and mid heavy. The XXX is really bright with a ton of highs. I'm not sure how you could think they're similar.

TS: Try to find a XXX or a Windsor. Neither amp you're looking at is very good for what you want, and you can definitely get better stuff for that price.

Ohh, I was thinking generally. Ya know, both amps are great for high gains. I wasnt thinking of their specific voice.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
listen op, 'round here you aint gonna earn no internet cred trying to buy halfstacks. people wont respect yu till u stop half-assing it and u get urself a manly fullstack. why do the job halfway?
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by RaspberryPouncy
Well, I'm rather in the search of a head + cab...

Why is this?

As someone around here once said: If you have to ask what stack to buy you are probably not ready to buy a stack.

Happy to credit the owner of that pearl of wisdom if they put their hand up.
Last edited by zero at Mar 16, 2012,
^that was me and I will continue to say that to everyone on this site who asks "what stack should I buy?"
don't think the VK will really make you happy. i have one and recommend them all the time but honestly you ain't getting Slayer out of it. yes with an overdrive you can get thrash tones but ther are better amps out there for that. the 6505+ combo would work and if you want it can be hooked up to a 2 or 4 x12 cab if you need more sound dispersion.
Quote by RaspberryPouncy
Well, I'm rather in the search of a head + cab...
I think I take the Peavey ValveKing 100 Head and a Harley Benton G212 2x12" Box...
I still can send it back..:P

Why? Because it makes you look cool in front of noobs or because you need 100w and lots of speakers?
I shall say it again:

Used Marshall DSL100 or JCM900 and 1960a cab should be EASILY within reach of your budget and will sound better than either of your choices.

And it will be a HELL of a lot more durable than a Valveking.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I shall say it again:

Used Marshall DSL100 or JCM900 and 1960a cab should be EASILY within reach of your budget and will sound better than either of your choices.

And it will be a HELL of a lot more durable than a Valveking.

VK's are actually fairly durable however i agree with your advice as used Marshalls shoud be pretty cheap in England.
Quote by Papabear505
Uh.. Hold on a sec there sparky.... A 1x12 isn't going to move as much air as a 4x12 cabinet, so if that's what your looking for, a 1x12 combo will be a disappointment... Now I've got a Fender Twin Reverb combo that isn't much lighter than my Peavey Windsor and cab combined.

Perhaps not yourself, but I don't get why people try to "Change" the minds of folks that want something because they "Know Better"

OP... The Valve King, in my opinion is the better choice of the two...

Hey man I know what you're saying, just throwing in my 2 cents is all

Like I say the valve king is quite good but I'm also saying do look into the 6505. Of course I'm more of a tone guy than a "blow the roof off" guy...I've progressed along I hope
And I like the DSL suggestions...mine was dang nearly $1000 for the head but if you can find one for a decent prize jump on that thing and don't look back!
Quote by RaspberryPouncy
Greetings ultimate-guitarists and uhm...chicks..

What the **** is this supposed to mean? You realize "guitarists" isn't a male only term, right?
Until the OP states what kind of venues he'll be playing in, we can't really tell him whether he needs a stack or not. (Though, arguably, nobody really needs a stack, considering most concerts are mic'd anyway.)

I have a hunch he's a bedroom player though. If so, here's my suggestion: Go try a 112 tube combo like the 6505+ 112. Turn the post gain on the lead channel up to "3" (as in, 3/10, not 3-o'clock). Then tell me it's not loud enough.

Stacks can add some "ballsiness" to your sound because they're moving more air. But overall volume between a tube halfstack and the same amp with a 112 is not much different. You get into 50-60 watt territories with a tube amp and it's going to get LOUD, regardless of how many speakers it has.

FWIW, my 6505 combo is considerably louder and ballsier than my old Marshall MG 100W halfstack. Food for thought...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
if you can afford a good stack, though, i'd still rather have a stack

i appreciate why these bandwagons start, but sometimes they just go too far and get silly, y'know?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you can afford a good stack, though, i'd still rather have a stack

i appreciate why these bandwagons start, but sometimes they just go too far and get silly, y'know?

+1.

The mids bandwagon is the worst.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
yeah i mean if you'd listen to some people you'd be in honk city
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Offworld92
+1.

The mids bandwagon is the worst.
Indeed.

It really makes me wonder if a good bit of UG members even know what good tone is. It's really hard for me to imagine the horrid, compressed, excessively honky tone of someone performing live with a 1x12 Peavey 6505+ or Blackstar HT with the mids at 10, like what the average UG member thinks is gospel for tone.

Mid scooping is for retarded fucking assholes and sounds like shit, but jacking the mids to 10 is just as bad.

Also, I have a 1x12 Krank cabinet with a better speaker than what's loaded in my Jet City 4x12, and is constructed better. It sounds nowhere NEAR as open and full as my 4x12 cabinet, and it doesn't project as well either. Idiots who say "4x12's are pointless marketing gimicks" I just want to slap upside their heads.

Oh, also, my 1x12 actually kinda sounds a bit louder than my 4x12, but I think it's just because it's a lot more mid-heavy and is fooling my ears.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Indeed.

Also, I have a 1x12 Krank cabinet with a better speaker than what's loaded in my Jet City 4x12, and is constructed better. It sounds nowhere NEAR as open and full as my 4x12 cabinet, and it doesn't project as well either. Idiots who say "4x12's are pointless marketing gimicks" I just want to slap upside their heads.

Oh god, this too. I have owned 1x12 amps, 2x12 amps, and my half stack, and the half stack is by far the best setup for me - the sound projection is just wonderful. 1x12 amps are horrible because they only project straight forward, and no one who isn't right in front of them can hear them in a band mix. Especially if you don't have a stand or anything, it's just not a very good option (unless you're playing soft rock/jazz/blues stuff, of course). 2x12s are a little better than 1x12s, but the deal breaker is having the two extra speakers up off the floor. That's closer to where your ears are, they're not on the ground.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Page 1 of 2