Hey all
I have come across an old hofern 500/1 beatle bass for sale. Havnt seen the bass in person but the pics show what looks like a german made bass from either the late 60s, or possible one of the re-issues that was distributed for the japan market in the mid 80s. These are really hard to come by in NZ and darn expensive. This one is very cheap , and you will see why...
Any how some maniac x@*%-witt has sloppy brush painted the entire thing in what looks like tacky black enamel!
My question is will it be possible to remove this pain and still preserve the original finish.
I believe these were finished in nitrocellulose.
I was thinking naptha and or a heat gun.
Cheers Anthony
(Invalid img)
Attachments:
painthofner2.jpg
You won't be able to remove that black and preserve the original finish. I'm not sure which finish was originally on it but if I had to guess it's the old sunburst that everyone and their dog was doing at the time. Burst finishes aren't difficult to do, my first time painting a guitar was actually blueburst (on mahogany, no less. It fortunately did not turn green) and it came out really well. All it takes is a little patience and you'll get a spectacular finish.