Hello everyone. I've decided to start publishing my own music and well this is the song I'd like to start with.

http://soundcloud.com/7thvagrant

I wrote and recorded everything myself from my own home. Before I move up to a professional studio I want to record as much as I can myself and see how it goes. Once I get enough ideas, opinions, criticism, and of course, once I've improved my playing and writing I'll start to invest in a proper studio to record everything with better quality. This is my starting point.

I can hardly say a song is ever finished, for me they always feel like a work in progress. That goes for the writing, recording, playing skills, mixing and everything. And obviously, I know there's still so much for me to learn. This is what I got with what I know so far.

Hope you enjoy it and share it with others, please do leave your thoughts! Thanks.
Last edited by 7thvagrant at Jul 13, 2012,
Quote by 7thvagrant
Hello everyone. I've decided to start publishing my own music and well this is the song I'd like to start with.

I wrote and recorded everything myself from my own home. Before I move up to a professional studio I want to record as much as I can myself and see how it goes. Once I get enough ideas, opinions, criticism, and of course, once I've improved my playing and writing I'll start to invest in a proper studio to record everything with better quality. This is my starting point.

I can hardly say a song is ever finished, for me they always feel like a work in progress. That goes for the writing, recording, playing skills, mixing and everything. And obviously, I know there's still so much for me to learn. This is what I got with what I know so far.

Regarding the song itself, I think it's strongly influenced by bands like Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Muse and Diablo Swing Orchestra among others.

Hope you enjoy it and share it with others, please do leave your thoughts! Thanks.

music is pretty on point, very very different from what i normally listen too which i like, but the only thing i think could use some work is the vox, they need beef, and some kind of fx to make them blend in better b/c they sound raw and flat imo, very nice track tho overall very cleanly recorded!
-----------------------------------------------
--The GEAR--
Horizon Devices - Precision Drive
AMT D2 Preamp
Boss TU-2
Boss- CS 2
BBE- Green SCREAMER
ESP,LTD MH- 250 NT ,
fitted with SEYMORE DUNCAN NAZGUL AND SENTIENT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Echoing mikevmpr3 here:Vocals do need more beef like,

ah man that part at 1.14 was a beautiful change of tempo

Its a very interesting piece of music, very enjoyable.

Nice outro aswell sir, Very opeth-y lol.

Overall it was a very good track, just lacks abit of beef.
Thanks for the feedback guys !

I agree with you on the vocals, it's something very new to me so I'm still figuring out how I can make the best vocals possible with what I'm working with (Line 6 TonePort and Shure Sm58). I'm kinda puzzled about how to actually add some beef there, or what kind of fx could help with that. I've got a friend who might be helping me out with that soon if he can get some time, and when I've recorded better vocals for the song I'll upload the new version right away! If you guys have any tips regarding vocals recording or processing I'm all ears.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Keep working on your good stuff as well, I'll be keeping an ear on it.
You are so talented you don't even know haha. That was amazing! There was no problem with the flow of the song, in fact it flowed perfectly! Once you can record this with legit equipment, it will sound amazing.
If you're playing music to get attention then you're forgetting the purpose of music
I agree with what everyone's been saying about the vocals. They get much better as the song goes on, but I think especially at the beginning they're kind of dull and lifeless. In terms of songwriting, this is really good. I see you list Diablo Swing Orchestra as one of your influences, and the heavy parts of your song are really reminiscent of DSO. I like it, I thinks its great.
Hey man. I really like what you recorded. I kind of have the same influences, so I can definatly hear them in your song. The keys and orchestral parts behind the guitars made it a good listen. Also, I love the diversity of it. I think once you've figured out how to record and EQ your voice to your songs, you can really make them come to live. Even though the vocals sound a bit narrow, I can tell you can sing pretty good.

Keep it up. I'm looking forward to hearing an updated version
Really enjoyed listening to this track, love the tempo change, heard couple of tracks recently that people have shared that do something similar and definitely going to try in my own music.
100% share your view about songs never being finished/always works in progress.
I love that this track has all the different parts that fit together so effortlessly, particulary like at around 3 minutes when you return to acoustic/piano, works perfectly. Heard some stuff that I definitely want to try next time I record, thanks for sharing
Sounds good dude, I'm diggin the piano, and is that some brass in there? Nice. The drumming is deadly, especially during the tempo increase. I agree with everyone on the vocals, but I suppose they could be fixed up when you get into a studio. The strings or pad or whatever That comes in around the middle is a good atmospheric change. And the acoustic at the end was cool.

Solid stuff dude, not what I usually listen to but it was pretty good. Cheers for the
LollipopSkeletonsLollipopSkeletons
LollipopSkeletonsLollipopSkeletons
Really like the whole tone here, almost Opeth-like at some parts. I envy your voice, mainly because mine is terrible. Really like the piano parts, and the ending part. Did you play the piano yourself, or is it on a midi piano roll?

Really good though, it has that flow that my recordings lack. Teach me? :P
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.
Sounds pretty nice! I like it! The song structure as a whole works well and sounds really good as well and you did a great job of keeping the music listener honest by not being repetitive and taking the song to some "unexpected" places. Which I am a huge fan of. To be honest, the only thing I question is, while you have a good voice, I am wondering if a deeper kind of grinding voice would suit this song better? Your voice does work with this song, especially in the slower softer parts but Im just kind of curious as to how it would sound with the kind of voice I described earlier. Especially in the parts of the song where the music gets heavier and louder.

Overall though,
cut. it. out.
Last edited by Dave Coulier at Mar 23, 2012,
The song is great.It just sounds really.....dry?

I don't know a better way to put it.It has no weight,punch.

I am listening to it through my stereo but it sounds like it is comming from tiny little lap top speakers.

I really do like the song though.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
@OldHairyOne Thanks a lot man! I did play the piano myself. As for the flow, well... I was actually kinda unsure about how people would react to the changes and the fact that the only part that gets repeated is the first "verse", but it seems to be kind of a good aspect of what I did! Thanks for checking this song out.

@Dave Coulier I wonder that about the singing as well! xD I don't really consider myself a singer, but right now I'm just working solo, so I'm doing everything myself! It's the first time I dedicate myself to mixing my singing with my musical style, so I'm still kinda figuring out how to make the best come out of those two things. Sometimes I do feel as well like the heavier parts sort of "require" something more ... "aggressive" (?) for lack of a better word. So I think we agree on that. Thank you very much for the input ! : D

@Kornflipsk8er Indeed, I know what you mean man! Most people have told me about the composition being nice and all. But the recording and/or mixing are sounding a bit "empty". Like the whole mix lacks beef. I've been looking around forums and asking friends of mine who have been working with recording and mixing longer than I (longer than I means nothing since I'm a complete noob at doing this, I mean really, didn't even know what double tracking meant XD) to see what I can learn and how to improve my own stuff. I pretty much did nothing but simply track the instruments and level the volumes. Soon I'll be uploading a (hopefully) better version of it. Thanks for the feedback!
Hey guys ! Just published another song and wanted to share it with ya ! This time I tried a quite different approach with the writing. This one seems a bit more structured as a song. Anyways, please have a listen and share your thoughts !

Thanks!
@Dead Heroes

Loving the atmosphere sounds gritty with the guitars. The drums are very punchy and stand out great. To me it seemed like you where holding back with the vocals. It lacked the substance and the certain umph / power I look in with vocals. The whole mix for the song is superb so kudos for that . The only thing I would say is to possibly pan the guitars It felt a little empty with the strumming. But the Drums do fill the void. The guitar lead caught my ear and I enjoyed listening to the song. I wouldn't say there was a dull moment. Keep rocking!

@Delayed Departure

Mellow Acoustic with piano at the start. Again the vocals seem very low and not loud enough. Turn up it up. Composition is good nothing bad to say about it. I would just work on the mix of the vocals. You got a great guitar tone so I think you set. with guitars and drums. @1:51 Great progression here Loving that guitar man that was sick. Very catchy lead. Work on the vocals and you'll be set you have some great writing skills.

Thnx again for checking out my stuff I appreciate it
Click My Library to see what I've written

My Library
7th,
Listening to "Departure". Vocals sound kind of tinny, but the singing sounds pretty good. Double-tracking the vocals could help, but I think some EQ tweaks could help unless you have a lousy microphone. Instrumentally, everything is quite good! I like the drums. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29392623#post29392623
Wow, Dead Heroes started off shakey but ended up impressing me. Very nice job!

Then I realized the thread is for the other song

Delayed Departure starts off great, lots of potential with the right equipment I bet you can have a really good song. The song writing has lots of potential, very catchy in parts. Playing is great too, keep up the good work!

And thanks for the feedback on my thread :P
Thanks for checking out The Bludgeoning!

Listened to both your tracks and on songwriting, not much to say. It sounds like you've got a great grasp on the genre, and that's understating things.

Guitars were great, drums didn't jump out at me but that's not a bad thing necessarily. Vocals I thought were pretty good, just not great. Improving with some lessons or just more study could go a long way. You definatly have the potential.

Biggest flaw was production, it wasn't bad for a home recording but I'm sure you could do better with what you have. Delayed Departure had bad volume levels an the keys and the other stuff, it over-powered everything else. I think volume management's the biggest problem in all of it, just make sure you record everything as loud as possible without clipping. If you're already doing that just work on the mix and remember to play it back to test it on something your audience will use (ipod, car stereo etc).

Great job with the writing and playing, keep it up!
I thought it was a good song, but a couple things negatives downgraded the song for me. The quality of the vocals could be improved on, the volume was quite low and sounded a little muffled. The tone of your voice was good but there were spots when you were pitchy. The good news is that this can be improved, whereas tone issues are much more difficult. I thought the first transition out of the intro was abrupt and awkward, I was expecting this boom and all it was, was just a weak palm muted guitar, might just be a personal preferance thing, but other than that I thought the songwriting and guitar playing was very good. The mixing can be improved upon, the drums seemed to be a bit too loud, and the guitar tone wasn't great, did you double track your rythmn guitar? It was hard for me to tell. Overall this song is good just a couple things with the mix downgrades it a bit.

I also checked out dead heroes. I thought this was the better song. Some of the same problems though. Some pitchyness on the vocals, guitar mix could be improved upon. Besides that this song was very good, good job.
Last edited by Duce180 at Apr 4, 2012,