I've been playing guitar for many years, but only chords and cover songs. I probably have a million bad habits I need to unlearn now. Currentl I'm trying to learn some scales so I can play some melodies, and I notice that I mute the next string up with my fingers a lot. For example, if playing a note on the A string I'll be muting the D with the same finger at the same time.
It sounds reasonably clean anyway, so do you think this is actually something to be avoided, or is it good?

I notice another thing too. I sometimes have the opposite thing happening when ascending, that a string rings a little after I lift my finger off it. Any advice on how to stop that happening?
Quote by innovine
I've been playing guitar for many years, but only chords and cover songs. I probably have a million bad habits I need to unlearn now. Currentl I'm trying to learn some scales so I can play some melodies, and I notice that I mute the next string up with my fingers a lot. For example, if playing a note on the A string I'll be muting the D with the same finger at the same time.
It sounds reasonably clean anyway, so do you think this is actually something to be avoided, or is it good?

I notice another thing too. I sometimes have the opposite thing happening when ascending, that a string rings a little after I lift my finger off it. Any advice on how to stop that happening?

First paragraph: definitely a good thing.

Second, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIEnzboW0Hc It'll tell you why the first is good and what you need to do about the second.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.