Hello,

Does anyone know if I can C tune with their 10-52 gauge? Or do I need their EXL117s? Those are 12-60 something. The reason why I am asking, is if you look at a tension comparison, the 12-60's have far less tension. I'm wondering how that is possible. Is that the tension at C tuning? Or does the increased string thickness make a difference.

I would try and post the chart but it no work.

Link to the EXL140's (10-52)

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&ProductID=17

EXL117's (11-56)

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=26

EXL148 (12-60)

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=31

Thanks.
Agreed ^^^. You can C tune with 10s but they're gonna be awfully floppy. For my personal taste it would be like playing rubber bands and I'd go with the 12s. I vote 12s.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
The thickness of the string also depends on your guitar's scale length. Nothing wrong with what the guys above suggested but the .60 on the low C string for example may be too much for a guitar with a 25.5 scale length.
Quote by Kortez3000
The thickness of the string also depends on your guitar's scale length. Nothing wrong with what the guys above suggested but the .60 on the low C string for example may be too much for a guitar with a 25.5 scale length.

Huh????
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Huh????
As a guitar's scale length increases, the amount of tension required to bring a string up to pitch increases.

So, the .060 E-6 might work on a 24.75 Les Paul scale length, but require too much tension to bring it up to pitch on the longer scale guitar.

For a different semantic take, the .060 might just be unnecessary, and the .052 E-6 would have sufficient tension. (25.5 inch scale, of course).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 15, 2012,
Wait, drop C or C Standard? I play in drop C with .10-.52's all the time with no problem but I feel like standard c would be too loose.
Quote by Captaincranky
As a guitar's scale length increases, the amount of tension required to bring a string up to pitch increases.

So, the .060 E-6 might work on a 24.75 Les Paul scale length, but require too much tension to bring it up to pitch on the longer scale guitar.

For a different semantic take, the .060 might just be unnecessary, and the .052 E-6 would have sufficient tension. (25.5 inch scale, of course).

How would i figure that out?
Quote by mpatton
Wait, drop C or C Standard? I play in drop C with .10-.52's all the time with no problem but I feel like standard c would be too loose.

This:

Drop C# (Low to High)- C# G# C# F# A# D#
You should be able to tell right away if a string doesn't have enough tension. They're sloppy, might be buzzy, and have poor definition to the sound, especially on the bass strings. As a description for to low a string tension, "uncontrolled excursion", comes to mind, but I don't know if that works for you.
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
This:

Drop C# (Low to High)- C# G# C# F# A# D#
This is only Drop D, down a semi tone, from E to E standard. (Eb to Eb drop to Db). (You probably wouldn't call those strings "sharps", but that's a lively source of discussion best left for , "Musician's Talk" Forum.

The best thing I can tell you here is, You may need to simply buy individual strings for the E-6. I don't think you have to change the whole set across the board, just because of the 3 semi tone lowered E-6.

A question you posted earlier,
"how would I figure that out"
If you were referring to scale length, you would just measure the distance between the top nut and the bridge.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 15, 2012,
Well here's the thing. The wall which forms the cavity that holds my springs broke. So, it needs to be repaired and i am blocking the tremolo and setting up the guitar. I want to be able to switch tunings easily. I want to be able to cover a wide range of tunings.
I realize in my ignorance of tunings, I went about this thread the wrong way.

Here are the tunings I am looking to play. I like tight strings. Loose is no good as I find they snag.

DGCFAD
EADGBA
CGCFAD
Db Ab Db Gb Bb Eb
C#G# C# F# A# D#
D A D F#A D
Possibly Drop B.

Sorry for wasting your time earlier. It wasn't intentional.

So, any ideas as to what strings I should use based on above?
Well I'd use .10-.52's for everything but the drop B. They get too muddy at that point. Try them out, if you like em you like em, if you don't get the next gauge up.
I use 10's for drop C on a 24.75 scale LP
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate