I bought a PRS SE Paul Allender Model about a year and a half ago. And ever since I bought it, I've had nothing but tuning/action problems. I've brought it back to the music store two or three times now (I live about 5 hours away from where it's located, so it's a pain to go there). The first time around, they said it was because of the wood expanding and contracting because of temperature. That's understandable, because, at the time, I kept it on a stand in my basement, where my music room is. The second time, they didn't really know what the problem was, as it's been upstairs ever since, with the temperature was pretty much constant. And I even checked it today. I tuned up, played one note on each string, and checked after each note was played, and each string went out of tune as soon as the one note was played. It may be due to the action being so high. I realize action isn't hard to fix, but it shouldn't have to be fixed after 3 months or so, should it?

Anyway, I'm not too interested in the guitar, regardless if it gets fixed. It's a little too metal for me, I'm not digging the EMG's in there, and the super wide/thin neck. Don't get me wrong, I love all the good heavy, HEAVY bands, like Meshuggah, and Lamb of God, and Protest the Hero, all of those guys. But I'm more of a rock guy. I need a more versatile guitar, as I play blues sometimes, I play metal sometimes, but I usually play rock. I'd rather not have a Floyd, as I'll be tuning around a lot. I play some Queens of the Stone Age, in C Standard, then I play a lot in E flat, and I play in standard when I'm to lazy to help those I jam with to tune their instruments down, and I often play in drop D. Hell, sometimes, when I'm getting really crazy, and I have a slide lying around, I tune up to Open A, and slide around. I mainly play QotSA, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Zeppelin, Rush, The Who, Metallica, etc. I'm open to pretty much anything under $1000. From experience, I like strats, SGs, Les Pauls, pretty much anything of the like. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
I don't know a terrible lot about PRS guitars, so I can't help you on that front. If you want a very versatile guitar under $1,000 that will be exactly what you want, I'd say your best options are Carvin or Suhr. Both have affordable custom shops that will give you guitars that will cover most genres you'll get into.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Block your trem.
Lower action.
Profit.

I thought of that. I may do that before I get rid of it, just to make sure whether or not I can save it, and make it good. If not, oh well, I'll get a new guitar.
Quote by JustRooster
I don't know a terrible lot about PRS guitars, so I can't help you on that front. If you want a very versatile guitar under $1,000 that will be exactly what you want, I'd say your best options are Carvin or Suhr. Both have affordable custom shops that will give you guitars that will cover most genres you'll get into.

Really? I've heard of Carvin, but not Suhr before. I've checked the Long & McQuade website (I'm Canadian, and there are no local Guitar Center's, or anything like that), and they don't carry either brand. If I can, I would much rather get a guitar from there. Thanks for the advice though.
Quote by 2099
I thought of that. I may do that before I get rid of it, just to make sure whether or not I can save it, and make it good. If not, oh well, I'll get a new guitar.

Really? I've heard of Carvin, but not Suhr before. I've checked the Long & McQuade website (I'm Canadian, and there are no local Guitar Center's, or anything like that), and they don't carry either brand. If I can, I would much rather get a guitar from there. Thanks for the advice though.

carvin sells direct, almost all are built to order. L&M wont carry suhr. besides, both are quite expensive in canada.

try blocking your trem first. you may find that it was an issue with the trem (it sound like it could be)

otherwise, check out a Richmond (godin sub-brand) dorchester. the lace pickups are amazing, and the neck is slim without being wafer thin. really nicely made guitars and crazy good value
My advice would be to take it to a tech and get it properly set up.

Not even PRS' are set up and ready to play straight out of the box, nearly every sub-$1500 guitar needs a good going over when they're new. A good floyd will take a proper beating before they go out of tune, it's what they're designed to do. Don't block it, I don't think that'll help, playability-wise.

Seriously, take it for a setup, then see how you get on. You may even want to keep it!
Jackson, Ibanez, Lag
Carvin, Marshall
Ibanez, Boss, Korg
This^
Get a a good setup.

But it sounds like you don't really like the guitar in so many ways. I would probably sell it and buy something I actually wanted. Should be easy to sell that guitar rather quickly. I personally like strats an get almost any sound I want from a sss strat outside of really heavy, which I don't play anyways. Prolly a sg or les paul would do you good or even just a different model prs would probably work better for you (se 24? Ie: no Floyd. No emg's).