Poll: For or against Wind Farms?
Poll Options
View poll results: For or against Wind Farms?
For
72 83%
Against
4 5%
Undecided
5 6%
Obligituary 4th option (TS is a knob, No potential, This thread is bad... etc)
6 7%
Voters: 87.
Page 1 of 2
For or Against?

There's a new power plant being built locally, so lots of discussion and protest about it. But it seems the ones against it are also against wind farms, and wave power, and think solar panels ruin a houses aesthetic.

I'm for them personally, can't see any decent reason to oppose.

Edit: "Obligituary 4th option".... SPELLING FAIL!!! Not my night... Obligatory*
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
Last edited by TheKraken at Mar 15, 2012,
Lol stupid birds fly into them.

We've got quite a few around here. I'd rather them then a nuclear plant or something.
They ruin any landscape they're in, that's a reason to oppose... and ruin flying animals, such as bats or birds. On the other hand it's better than other energy harvesting.

You can put them far out in the sea, that's better.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Mar 15, 2012,
The protests against wind farms are mainly because they'll decrease the value of your property if they're near it because people don't really like to look at them. I'm for them. A new way to generate energy is great. People can just be selfish tbh.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there's a wind farm across the St. Lawrence River at my Aunt's cottage in the 1000 Islands. Last summer when I was there I was just hanging out at the rocks by the water and looking across and I thought all the windmills looked pretty cool. I also could see them all lit up from my window at night when I was going to bed. Pretty cool I think
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Last edited by shredibanez24 at Mar 15, 2012,
Any form of sustainable and eco-friendly power gets a yes from me tbh

Anyone who says they ruin landscapes need to realise that the long term effects of pollution will be far worse.

I also think that wind turbines look nice, and the fact that they don't harm our environment adds to that.

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Last edited by EMGs_rule at Mar 15, 2012,
I prefer solar, but wind isn't bad either.

Things like killing/injuring flying animals, and ruining the landscape are still improvements over burning oil, natural gas, and coal.
Poll ?

If there's no poll , I'm for wind power.
YEAH, birds do crash into them sometimes and they are noisy when installed too close to houses. Still, I'd rather have those around than flood another 400 square km.
- - - - - - - - - - -
One of my classes was actually just discussing that today. Apparently they're bird death magnets (3+ eagle deaths every year per tower), but other than that I don't have any problem with them. They make everything look so futuristic too.
Ugly:

Acceptable:

I don't know why you can't put them in the sea. They're really not that effective anyway.

Quote by EMGs_rule
Anyone who says they ruin landscapes need to realise that the long term effects of pollution will be far worse.

Oh hello, man from the future, can you tell me more about what'll happen? What's it going to look like if we don't have wind farms?
i'm from iowa and i see them frequently
I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given.
Quote by Kensai

I don't know why you can't put them in the sea. They're really not that effective anyway

I think it's because of the energy losses in transmission from land to sea.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Yes, let's just harvest energy from the wind, maybe next we can fuel our cars with stardust and the power of love.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Basically they boil down to 'NIMBY', or 'not in my back yard'. No one ever wants to make any tiny adjustment to improve things if it means their precious view is slightly marred or their house price goes down. The arrogant species deserves what it gets for this kind of selfish thinking.
Sometimes you have to shoot the rak shit off of them but I'm for them.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Yes, let's just harvest energy from the wind, maybe next we can fuel our cars with stardust and the power of love.

Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Quote by Kensai
Ugly:

Acceptable:

I don't know why you can't put them in the sea. They're really not that effective anyway.

Oh hello, man from the future, can you tell me more about what'll happen? What's it going to look like if we don't have wind farms?

That top photo's from my city there is a wind farm there, but not anywhere near as close as that picture makes out.

Also, in Scotland we're actually planning to put some out in the sea, Donald Trump has threatened it with money. Lovely chap he is.

I wasn't talking specifically about wind farms, but eco-friendly energy in general. I'm no fortune teller but there's plenty of evidence to support the idea that pollution is bad for the planet. I thought that this was a generally accepted thing

Plus, wind farms look a lot nicer than this

This is also near my city. I can't say it looks better than a wind farm, I don't think many people could.

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
what if we put all that smokey waste from nuclear power plants into a balloon and just released it into the upper atmosphere and pop or something

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
As a side note, what are your opinions on electric cars?

I drove past the huge wind farms in California when I was on Holiday a while back... apparently they do **** all xD
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Zoot Allures
Basically they boil down to 'NIMBY', or 'not in my back yard'. No one ever wants to make any tiny adjustment to improve things if it means their precious view is slightly marred or their house price goes down. The arrogant species deserves what it gets for this kind of selfish thinking.

+1

I don't see the problem with them. They look fine. No more ugly than any of the other shit we throw up in the countryside. Or any other power station.

I'm actually more in favour of them because of the kind of people they piss off.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by rock.freak667
I think it's because of the energy losses in transmission from land to sea.

Might be some, yeah, and probably more expensive. However I think it's more windy at sea. Landbased wind farms stand still a lot of the time unfortunately

Quote by EMGs_rule
That top photo's from my city there is a wind farm there, but not anywhere near as close as that picture makes out.

Also, in Scotland we're actually planning to put some out in the sea, Donald Trump has threatened it with money. Lovely chap he is.

I wasn't talking specifically about wind farms, but eco-friendly energy in general. I'm no fortune teller but there's plenty of evidence to support the idea that pollution is bad for the planet. I thought that this was a generally accepted thing

Plus, wind farms look a lot nicer than this

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2008/04/25/g4mouth460x276.jpg[/IMG

This is also near my city. I can't say it looks better than a wind farm, I don't think many people could.

I like eco-friendly energy, just not when it comes to a cost of the eco-system. They're not that efficient, sadly, either. I don't know what pollution you're refering to, or how it will affect the landscape, or how wind farms will prevent that particular landscape pollution. I just think there are other alternatives, such as developing more efficient wind farms instead of putting up a large number of them, or just other types of energy harvesting things.

Your city seems to be the hot-spot for energy harvesting

Quote by TheKraken
As a side note, what are your opinions on electric cars?

They're good. Sadly not that developed well yet, and there aren't many refueling locations. I'd love to get an electric motorcycle or something and basically not pay much at all for electricity for it.

Quote by Meths
+1

I don't see the problem with them. They look fine. No more ugly than any of the other shit we throw up in the countryside. Or any other power station.

I'm actually more in favour of them because of the kind of people they piss off.

You live in london, it's not like you have to look at them, city-boy.
Quote by Kensai
I like eco-friendly energy, just not when it comes to a cost of the eco-system. They're not that efficient, sadly, either. I don't know what pollution you're refering to, or how it will affect the landscape, or how wind farms will prevent that particular landscape pollution. I just think there are other alternatives, such as developing more efficient wind farms instead of putting up a large number of them, or just other types of energy harvesting things.

Your city seems to be the hot-spot for energy harvesting

Ye I agree completely, I definitely wouldn't say that wind farms are the saviour, but I would say that we need to invest in more sustainable and eco-friendly forms of energy.

The most obvious effects on the landscape I can think of is the rising sea level, I'm certainly not an expert in the field

My country is a hot-spot for energy harvesting we have lots of wind, lots of waves, not so much sun though lol

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
They were gonna put some near me. Didn't go through though because it would have put everyone's property value down, in addition to some other things.

I think they're really obnoxious and take up a lot of room for the limited amount of power they produce.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Kensai
They ruin any landscape they're in, that's a reason to oppose... and ruin flying animals, such as bats or birds. On the other hand it's better than other energy harvesting.

You can put them far out in the sea, that's better.

pffft. You've never seen them apparetly. The roads leading to chicago are filled with them and they look beautiful. I mean its mile after mile of green grass. green grass. JUST MILES of it. but they added the wind turbines for energy and it doesn't detract from it at all. it looks awesome
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by Kensai
Might be some, yeah, and probably more expensive. However I think it's more windy at sea. Landbased wind farms stand still a lot of the time unfortunately.

On land if you can put them in a valley where wind speed would be greater than in the sea due to the reduced area between the hills/mountains, you'd get more energy out of the wind turbine.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by Kensai

You live in london, it's not like you have to look at them, city-boy.

I see some around. Admittedly they are largely in industrial sites where Daily Mail reading-fascists don't complain about them.

Quote by bluekirby7
pffft. You've never seen them apparetly. The roads leading to chicago are filled with them and they look beautiful. I mean its mile after mile of green grass. green grass. JUST MILES of it. but they added the wind turbines for energy and it doesn't detract from it at all. it looks awesome

+1

I remember flying over Portugal and seeing them on lots of hilltops. Looked pretty bitchin' to be honest.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
I don't think they look terrible. There are a few one a hillside along the river here, and they look nice.

I can see how some people would dislike the look though. It isn't for everyone.
I'm not against wind farms per se, although I'd like to see more research on long term health effects and more consideration towards possible ecological impacts during the planning stage. What I disagree with is how the provincial government here (Ontario) has passed legislation (Green Energy Act) that gives local landowners and municipal governments very little input into where the windmills are placed.
Quote by zdh
I'm not against wind farms per se, although I'd like to see more research on long term health effects and more consideration towards possible ecological impacts during the planning stage. What I disagree with is how the provincial government here (Ontario) has passed legislation (Green Energy Act) that gives local landowners and municipal governments very little input into where the windmills are placed.

Health effects? It's a big windmill. Unless it falls on you, it doesn't have any health effects.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by VillainousLatin

To resume what I tried to say: Wind is ok, solar is the way to go though.

Agreed. Like I said earlier.

Solar is way better, and definitely more efficient. Not quite as nice looking as windmills though.
Quote by daytripper75
Agreed. Like I said earlier.

Solar is way better, and definitely more efficient. Not quite as nice looking as windmills though.

not as many people see solar farms, mostly being in the desert and all.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
How could you possibly oppose them? The only real issue is the bat killing.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Mar 15, 2012,
Quote by Meths
Health effects? It's a big windmill. Unless it falls on you, it doesn't have any health effects.

Noise and vibration?
Quote by Meths
I see some around. Admittedly they are largely in industrial sites where Daily Mail reading-fascists don't complain about them.

+1

I remember flying over Portugal and seeing them on lots of hilltops. Looked pretty bitchin' to be honest.

I think it's somewhere in Holland that we went to ages ago, where they had them painted the entire spectrum of colours across this one long road that went across a lake. It was really cool.
Page 1 of 2