Hi. I'm looking to get my first guitar. I was going to get a guitar package with all the stuff that comes with it, but i hear they aren't the best of quality. I think I'm deciding to buy used off of Guitarcenter.com. You can get a Yamaha Pacifica or a Epiphone Special 2 for like 79.99$. i'm not sure which to get. The yamaha body is made of agathis, and I don't think that agathis is the best wood going by what i've heard, although i don't really know. Has a maple neck... the epiphone special 2 is kind of confusing. On the official epiphone website, it says the body and neck are mahogany, on amazon it said baswood. I think i also read that the pacifica was made of alder somewhere to, does anyone know for sure what kind of wood these guitars are made of?
Which do you think i should get? I read somewhere that a strat is better for a begginer because it is easier to play sitting down (that was just one persons opinion), but someone else said it was bad because you have to deal with the tremolo. The kind of interesting thing to me about the pacifica is the HSS pickups. I do like the look of the epiphone a little better though. So what do you guys think, and any idea about the wood? And have you had good experience with buying used online on guitarcenter.com?
thank you
Pacifica.
Wood really doesnt matter much in that price range tbh, its all pretty low grade no matter the species.
rondomusic.com
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
I'd take the Pacifica between the two. Guitar Center is pretty legit. Just be aware that a used guitar will probably have some scrathces and dings in in.
Go for the Pacifica. Happy playing!
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by francesco18
If you're going to get a Pacifica I'd suggest to get the 112 instead of the 012, you'd have an alder body and the coil tap feature for the humbucker.

Hm.. I would, but the 012 is the only model that comes in the vintage sunburst with the black pickguard. Also, are there any reasons why you would recommend the pacifica over the epi?
Quote by Alex B Broadway
This. Check out the SX Strat's. They're pretty decent. Also, before you buy, make sure you've actually played it first.

I've considered this many times, but i here they aren't very good out of the box. I need somthing that is.
Quote by Thundershock47
I've considered this many times, but i here they aren't very good out of the box. I need somthing that is.

That would be nothing. Any guitar you get will most likely need a setup, but I have owned several guitars from rondomusic.com and usually everything is setup up pretty good on them out so all you to do is tune up and you are good to go. My last rondo guitar was actually a $89 SX Hawk SE, for the price its unbeatable.

Getting a starter pack is a huge waste of money, I would also suggest going to your local pawnshop and looking around, avoid anything with a Mainstreet, First Act, Epiphone, and Silvertone logo. Epiphone's are not that bad if you spend $350+ but in your price range any epiphone you get is most likely going to be total garbage. Squiers, and Kona are often in pawnshops and usually can be had for under $100 and are pretty solid guitars, its also likely you will come across some Yamaha's that are worth looking at as well.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by Darkdevil725
That would be nothing. Any guitar you get will most likely need a setup, but I have owned several guitars from rondomusic.com and usually everything is setup up pretty good on them out so all you to do is tune up and you are good to go. My last rondo guitar was actually a $89 SX Hawk SE, for the price its unbeatable.

Getting a starter pack is a huge waste of money, I would also suggest going to your local pawnshop and looking around, avoid anything with a Mainstreet, First Act, Epiphone, and Silvertone logo. Epiphone's are not that bad if you spend $350+ but in your price range any epiphone you get is most likely going to be total garbage. Squiers, and Kona are often in pawnshops and usually can be had for under $100 and are pretty solid guitars, its also likely you will come across some Yamaha's that are worth looking at as well.

Would you reccomend getting a new SX strat for like 85$ or getting a used yamaha pacifica for 80$?
Thats a tough one, both are good guitars. I would choose the SX personally. But I think your looking at the 3/4th scale which are shorter usually meant for traveling or smaller kids who are learning. Between the shortscale and the yamaha I would go with the yamaha as its a full size guitar. Before making a final choice I still recommend you check out some pawn shops. If you could raise your budget then you could look at the better SX and Douglas guitars.
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by Darkdevil725
Thats a tough one, both are good guitars. I would choose the SX personally. But I think your looking at the 3/4th scale which are shorter usually meant for traveling or smaller kids who are learning. Between the shortscale and the yamaha I would go with the yamaha as its a full size guitar. Before making a final choice I still recommend you check out some pawn shops. If you could raise your budget then you could look at the better SX and Douglas guitars.

Ok, I looked and i get get a full size for 100$ with a bag. I did check though and the shipping is 20$.

So thats 120$ for sx..
or about 80-90 for used pacfica...
Also one thing i like about the pacifica is that it has one humbucker, but the SX don't have that.
get a paper route and save up for a couple weeks
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Pacifica, by far.. They are excellent guitars (for the price, that is)
Current gear:
Fender Road Worn 60's Strat
Hohner SE35
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
You are on the right path. I got a cheapo starter pack and it was god awful. Almost made me not want to continue learning.
Quote by Thundershock47
Have any of you ever had an epi special 2?

Never owned one, but I have played them many times. That second part is why I have never owned one and never will.
Don't get the Special 2. Crap guitar. Trust me, I own one.
Bad fretwork, horrible tuners -> horrible tuning stability, crap electronics, etc...
Get a Squier Telecaster, they're the best cheap guitars IMO.
Fender MIA Stratocaster (with SD Twang Banger)
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Johnson Acoustic
Palmer FAB5
Quote by Darkdevil725
Never owned one, but I have played them many times. That second part is why I have never owned one and never will.

So the epi is a short scale? I didn't realize that.
Quote by Darkdevil725

The scale on the cheaper SX guitars isn't bad. It's 24" which is the same as Fender Mustangs and Jaguars. Not that short.

Edit: I'll try to help to sort out this scale length thing for you.

24" and shorter- Short scale
24.75"- Medium scale
25.5- Full scale
26" and longer- Extended scale
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Last edited by IRISH_PUNK13 at Mar 17, 2012,
Do you think the pacifica could be considered an "intermediate" guitar also? I don't want to have to get a new guitar in a year after i get better, I want it to last a few years.
Quote by Thundershock47
Do you think the pacifica could be considered an "intermediate" guitar also? I don't want to have to get a new guitar in a year after i get better, I want it to last a few years.

As long as the fretwork is good then yeah, it could possibly last you a while.