I don't know if this would go in the recording section, but I couldn't find a better place and I guess it kind of interferes with recording too, so sorry if this is in the wrong place and if you could tell me where it would belong that would be great.

Ok, so I am in a band with just me on guitar and vocals and my friend on drums. We practice at his house (where the drum set is) in a small room built off his house. It is quite small and when we set up our PA system for vocals, we get terrible feedback if the mic is at a loud enough volume to hear it over guitar and drums. It makes it hard to practice because I can't hear my own voice over the mix. I am wondering if there is anything i can do to get rid of or reduce the microphone feedback. Thanks!
A few things:

- make sure the mic isn't pointing at the PA speakers. In fact, have the PA speakers, as much as possible, pointing away from the mic.

- Use a uni-directional (ie. hypercardiod) mic. For instance, the Sennheiser 845/945 series would be a better choice for eliminating feedback than the 835/935 series.

- play with the EQ on the PA amp and cut down some of the higher frequencies. Try to find the frequency that is feeding back, and notch it down.

- have the drummer hit less hard so that you don't have to crank your amp so loud, so that you don't have to crank the PA so loud.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.