I just got myself a sm57. I'm running a guitar with two humbucks > line6 spiderIII 15w > Monster xlr > 1/4 > 1/8 adapter > into my sound card in the back of my computer Which is I think AMD HDMI Output.

Don't critizise my bad playing I'm pissed that I can't make it sound like I want. I'll do a flawless victory one once I get rid of this goddamn hiss. So I have uploaded two tracks. The quieter one was me not touching anything. The second upload was me increasing the gain dB +10. My amp isn't up incredibly loud right now since it's late, that might be the problem. But it came out so quiet I couldn't even hear it. So then I increased the gain so I can, and this terrible hiss came out of nowhere. Anyway I can remove the hiss? And make it loud?

Not interested in getting a preamp or buying anything expensive. For I have student loans, live on my own, and am terribly poor.

http://soundcloud.com/metalandpot/back1
http://soundcloud.com/metalandpot/back2

Help is appreciated UG =].
Last edited by MetalandPot at Mar 15, 2012,
My best guess is that you going straight into the 1/8 inch jack but i cant be positive. just giving my best guess since no one else has.
You're probably not going to get many nice answers here with that gear you listed.

For your budget you would have been better off getting a POD instead of a dubious amp, a mic, and the cables. The POD will allow you to record direct through USB.

I've not known people to get good results through sound card analog inputs unless it's a discrete soundcard designed for pro-audio. Usually you're better off with an interface. Maybe do some busking to save up for an interface?
Get an audio interface instead of just plugging into your laptop with an 1/8 inch.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

I've had this stuff since I started like 4 years ago. minus the mic and cable.
I guess I deserve that though. Thanks I guess.
I'd like to get a pod. But before I get that I need a half stack so I can play shows.
Looking at the 5150 and 5150+.
If it's my gear then how come theres no hiss coming out of my amp.
What's a good audio interface?
What's the range of prices usually?
I have a pc desktop.
The thing about sound-cards is that the outputs are built to sound somewhere between good and great, depending on what you have. The inputs are built for web-chatting and that sort of thing. For recording, the inputs are not up to snuff.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
So do I need to buy a mixer or an audio interface or something?
I really don't know too much about this.
I just want to be able to mix a decent guitar track and program some drums so I can find a local band.
Is their a specific audio interface that compliments the SM57 for distortion? I got the mic because it was apparently the poor mans mic, so I'm looking for additional poor man stuff if that makes sense...i'm tired lol.
If you have a POD you don't really need a half stack.

My half stack (Marshall JVM) hasn't left the house in months because I've been playing at places with a good PA and with house drums. If I don't have to pull the trailer for the drums and there's a PA, then the half-stack isn't worth it.

I just plug my MFX into the PA. At venues without stage monitors I've been running the vocals through the MFX pedal, too, and using a VOX DA5 (5 watt solid state) pointed at us to monitor vocals and guitar. We can hear ourselves over hard-hitting drums and bass.

It's better taking the 30mpg 2-seat car than an 11mpg truck with a trailer when we don't need the drums. Before we had the 2 seater, I used to bring a 4-seater with the head and a 1x10 cab in the trunk, but it just isn't that much of a difference to warrant 20mpg or the extra setup time.

You could use a POD the same way I use my GNX4 MFX (or ideally get an HD 500), and you won't need a seperate interface. The HD 500 can serve as your interface and you can even simulate different mic positioning virtually. Don't bother with an HD 300, but an HD 400 might work for you, given your budget constraints. Although an HD 500 still should be a lot cheaper than most 5150 half-stacks.

BTW, a $100 industry standard mic is not a "poor man's" mic. A $15 Behringer, or a cheaper Shure mic, yes, but not the 57.

Don't feel bad about the Spider...my first amp (6 years ago) was an MG30DFX. The speaker has been unplugged from the internal amp for over a year and occasionally I'll use it as a 1x10 like I mentioned above. It's more than loud enough with the head on 2.
The only thing about using a POD or similar live (and I used to do that) is that it IS a computer of sorts. That's great most of the time.

I played one gig, though (the last one I ever did with the V-Amp) that had dodgy power. Every now and again, it would flicker. It would never go out, but would flicker. The amps didn't seem to notice. One of the lights on one side of the stage noticeably flicked from time to time. Otherwise it was no big deal.

Except...

My damned V-Amp kept getting knocked out, and when it did, it had to re-boot, which meant my guitar disappearing completely for about 15 seconds while it did so. GRRRR!!!!

Never again.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
My damned V-Amp kept getting knocked out, and when it did, it had to re-boot, which meant my guitar disappearing completely for about 15 seconds while it did so. GRRRR!!!!

Never again.

CT

So funny that you mention that, 'cause just last Sunday night I was at an open jam and when we switched out drumers, the host knocked my power line out of the wall twice--on the way in and on the way out. It happened between songs so it wasn't a big deal.

You could always bring a small UPS with you. They're like $40 or maybe even a little less. It won't take much to keep the MFX powered. Might be good to use these for tube amps too so that you don't blow anything from the power coming on and off too quick. Had that happen with a PC once and it blew the floppy drive and the sound card even though it was on a good surge protector.