Hey guys Im lookin for upgrade to a new amp. It'll be used mostly for practice since Im still a beginner mostly. Right now I got a peavy vypyr 30 and im looking for something with less focus on features and more focus on a nice hard rock tone out of the box. Cant stress enough that its gotta be low volume though as my neighbors already hate us.

Budget: about $400-600 depending on how much I can get away with

Bands: GNR, early Metallica

amp will be used with a regular epiphone les paul std.
i would say one of the roland cubes but it's kinda in the same category as the vyper, whether or not its better is another story, i like them more but you could look into those. i think orange and blackstar make low wattage amps that will work out well
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Jet City JCA20 or JCA22.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by gerraguitar
i would say one of the roland cubes but it's kinda in the same category as the vyper, whether or not its better is another story, i like them more but you could look into those. i think orange and blackstar make low wattage amps that will work out well

I would go with the blackstar HT-1. They have a very wonderful tone and are perfect for low volume practice.
if you want tube - and by the sounds of things you do, keep it below 20 or maybe even 15 watts; Even a Blackstar ht-5 (5 watt tube powered) that i played through in a store was loud for such a small combo. Look at Orange tiny terror, blackstar ht-5, marshall ma-5, laney cub, and i'm sure jet city do some sub 20 watt tube amps
Quote by thelordofdarkch
I would go with the blackstar HT-1. They have a very wonderful tone and are perfect for low volume practice.

For me, Blackstar have nailed down the small/low wattage tube amp tone, much better than orange and marshall. If the ht-1 is the ht-5's little brother, as it were, then is also a great suggestion.
One with a master volume. Just bought a Laney Cub head and cab, super awesome vintage rock tones but it won't do metal without pedals. Can hit apartment volumes easy, I live in one.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Last edited by i3oosted at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by i3oosted
One with a master volume. Just bought a Laney Cub head and cab, super awesome vintage rock tones but it won't do metal without pedals. Can hit apartment volumes easy, I live in one.

+1

Marshall JVM half-stack, but you still might want a volume pedal or an MFX with adjustable level output to tame it a bit more.

Mine jumps from 0 to over 85db with nothing in between, with the master volume under 1, but you can still get the same tone if you dial down the output on the MFX unit between the guitar and the amp.

Or use the direct out and play through a PA or whatever instead of the cab (just don't take the head off standby if no cab is plugged in). The line level isn't affected by the master volume, and it'll sound the same at any speaker volume that way. Or you can tap headphones off whatever you have it plugged into.
Quote by gman128
For me, Blackstar have nailed down the small/low wattage tube amp tone, much better than orange and marshall. If the ht-1 is the ht-5's little brother, as it were, then is also a great suggestion.

Are you trying to tell me that you think a HT-5 sounds better than a Class 5? Seriously?

TS: What you need is a new home.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by jetwash69
+1

Marshall JVM half-stack, but you still might want a volume pedal or an MFX with adjustable level output to tame it a bit more.

Mine jumps from 0 to over 85db with nothing in between, with the master volume under 1, but you can still get the same tone if you dial down the output on the MFX unit between the guitar and the amp.

Or use the direct out and play through a PA or whatever instead of the cab (just don't take the head off standby if no cab is plugged in). The line level isn't affected by the master volume, and it'll sound the same at any speaker volume that way. Or you can tap headphones off whatever you have it plugged into.

Good luck getting a JVM for $500.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by i3oosted

+1

I have a Cub10 combo just as a little travelling/practice amp... you would need to throw something in front of it for metal but it can produce some pretty sweet tones. Sounds great at low volumes and has plenty of push, as it is after all a 10w tube amp.
It is dramatically better than the Blackstar equivalent.
The Cub is a fine choice. I'll add my +1 to that too. Chuck your favourite overdrive in front of it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
JCA22H or JCA20H with an OD. Don't know why everybody is such a whiny bitch about output power. I use multiple 100w amps in my apartment all day long.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
JCA22H or JCA20H with an OD. Don't know why everybody is such a whiny bitch about output power. I use multiple 100w amps in my apartment all day long.

Ppl dont realise that 5w amps also are to loud for apartment when cranked

low wattage does not equal better at low volumes, all amps ive liked the most at low volumes have been 50-100w amps
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard