hi guys i just lowered my guitar nut by filing down the nut slot off. but i file it down too much and my high e string gives a ringing sound when playing an open note but the fretted notes are fine. so i adjusted the height of the tune o matic and it worked.

but there's still some ringing sounds left so should i adjust my truss rod?

I asked a guitar tech on the nut fix but they gonna charge me 65 bucks for the installation of the new nut, set ups, labor and installation of new strings (which i have to pay) and it'll take a week.
Uh... no, you need a new nut. Don't sand it down so far next time.

The truss rod is not meant to compensate for a nut that has been filed down too far.
put a drop of super glue in the slot that you filed down too far, let it dry, then put the string back in.
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
Quote by PUNKSTER93

I asked a guitar tech on the nut fix but they gonna charge me 65 bucks for the installation of the new nut, set ups, labor and installation of new strings (which i have to pay) and it'll take a week.

Depending on where you are located that price sounds pretty reasonable.
if you are gonna super glue it, first tape around the nut so you don't ruin the guitar's headstock or fretboard by accident
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
take the super glue, mix a little baking soda in it, and mix.

get a needle and use the tip to dab into the nut cut.

after it dries, lightly file in an upward direction,
upward towards the fretboard side.

it needs to slope up towards the fretboard.

to test if the nut cut is too low, you'll want to
fret between the 2nd-3rd fret,
when held, see if the string touches the first fret.

tap at the 1st fret to check for noise.
it should be a hair up from the fret.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
take the super glue, mix a little baking soda in it, and mix.

get a needle and use the tip to dab into the nut cut.

after it dries, lightly file in an upward direction,
upward towards the fretboard side.

it needs to slope up towards the fretboard.

to test if the nut cut is too low, you'll want to
fret between the 2nd-3rd fret,
when held, see if the string touches the first fret.

tap at the 1st fret to check for noise.
it should be a hair up from the fret.

Great Info JJ... I do learn a lot from this forum...

one of the best things I've learned in my realatively long Guitar playing career is to

Don't Touch It unless You Know What You're Doing!!!!! LOL

and don't give any of that "How do you learn" stuff... buy a $20.00 guitar from a Pawn Shop and learn away...

feeling a little crumudgony today... need more coffee..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505

one of the best things I've learned in my realatively long Guitar playing career is to

Don't Touch It unless You Know What You're Doing!!!!! LOL

and don't give any of that "How do you learn" stuff... buy a $20.00 guitar from a Pawn Shop and learn away...

feeling a little crumudgony today... need more coffee..

Completely agree. Some days when I see the 'should I adjust' questions, I just want to answer YES to all of them, figuring that sometimes learning is more effective when it costs you money...

Alcohol is unavailable, coffee will have to do...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Nice fix tip JJ....and usually if you have to ask a question like this the answer is no because you clearly don't know the how's or why's of the procedure.