Poll: Does biology play a role in these differences?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does biology play a role in these differences?
yes
48 91%
no
2 4%
unsure
3 6%
Voters: 53.
Simple question: What do you think is the root cause of the existing differences between the genders in behavior- personality, interests, abilities, etc.

To start off, I'll post part of a Norwegian documentary series that deals with the nature vs nurture debate, in which various experts that lie on both sides of the argument are interviewed. These two parts address specifically the topic of gender:

Password: hjernevask

http://vimeo.com/19707588
"Why do girls tend to go into empathizing professions and boys into systemizing professions? Why does the labor market become more gender segregated the more economic prosperity a country has?"

http://vimeo.com/19921928
"Are there biological reasons men have a greater tendency than women to want sex without obligation?"
Interesting question, but I'm sure biology does play a role in these differences. Whether it has the greater role, I do not know, but it absolutely plays a significant role.
- Built-in bioprogramming evolved from the separation of gender in itself.
- Built-in bioprogramming evolved from survival and cultural practices.
- Perpetual negative feedback from gender roles, systemization, and the like that are already in place. The next generation's state receives feedback from this generation's state.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

This is a pretty interesting (and depressing) article about an individual who was born genetically a healthy male but was surgically reassigned to be female after his circumcision was botched. It could be interpreted as evidence that people aren't born as "blank slates", from which they can arbitrarily be raised as a male or a female. David was told that he was a girl, and yet he never felt like one and suffered severe psychological trauma due to this.
Quote by darkstar2466

- Perpetual negative feedback from gender roles, systemization, and the like that are already in place. The next generation's state receives feedback from this generation's state.

This is what I believe has the greatest role in gendering individuals. Our society has very strict unwritten rules about what both genders can and cannot do, and breaking these rules can have harsh consequences.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Mar 16, 2012,
You know what they say. Women are from Omicron Persei 7, men are from Omicron Persei 9.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
too lazy to watch the links but we studied this in one of my classes last year: the male and female brain is different in certain aspects. for example, in the classroom, boys learn better in a louder and more dynamic environment with set instructions whereas girls learn better through quieter and discussion based methods. i can't remember all the biology behind it but this is just from some studies we were sampling. so yes biology does play a role in it. however it would be silly to say that it has nothing to do with society either because gender roles are artificial, and are taught to us through nurture. so yes biology in conjunction with society's teaching play a role in an individual's behaviour
Quote by xo.elsa
too lazy to watch the links but we studied this in one of my classes last year: the male and female brain is different in certain aspects.

What about the brain of someone who's born one sex, but identifies more with the opposite gender?
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Obviously, i tried to make a damn sandwhich for lunch everyday for three years and then my sister comes around and makes perfect ones her freshman year of highschool.

Sounds to me like women are programmed to make food and there is no reason why a man should waste his time with house chores.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
What about the brain of someone who's born one sex, but identifies more with the opposite gender?

sorry i forgot to clarify between gender and sexes
our study didn't examine the different types of genders but i would assume that whatever sex you were born as, regardless of sexuality or identity, would be responsible for the different learning methods i was describing
Quote by I am wet
Obviously, i tried to make a damn sandwhich for lunch everyday for three years and then my sister comes around and makes perfect ones her freshman year of highschool.

Sounds to me like women are programmed to make food and there is no reason why a man should waste his time with house chores.

awesome joke bro, you should be a comedian!
Quote by GodofCheesecake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

This is a pretty interesting (and depressing) article about an individual who was born genetically a healthy male but was surgically reassigned to be female after his circumcision was botched. It could be interpreted as evidence that people aren't born as "blank slates", from which they can arbitrarily be raised as a male or a female. David was told that he was a girl, and yet he never felt like one and suffered severe psychological trauma due to this.

This is what I believe has the greatest role in gendering individuals. Our society has very strict unwritten rules about what both genders can and cannot do, and breaking these rules can have harsh consequences.

Maybe because, despite the fact that he was told he was a girl, he was treated as if he was a person who had under gone gender reassignment?

If a kid is surgically re-gendered you can't hide that fact. His parents would know it every time they looked at him even if they tried to hide it. That's assuming they could even get over the shock of having their boy accidentally knifed into a girl in a short period of time.
Well obviously it's both. Men and women have different biological differences that cause them to act differently i.e. testosterone vs. estrogen. But a lot of the way we act has to do with sociological norms and gender roles. Idk, it's pretty obvious and has been said a thousand times. I don't think there's any real clear cut answer though.

Read this, then kill yourself.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Of course. To think that sexual dimorphism doesnt extend to the neurological level is pretty silly
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by chev311e
Well obviously it's both. Men and women have different biological differences that cause them to act differently i.e. testosterone vs. estrogen. But a lot of the way we act has to do with sociological norms and gender roles. Idk, it's pretty obvious and has been said a thousand times. I don't think there's any real clear cut answer though.

I can't find the full article online, but in my Sociology of Gender class we read an article that claimed (based on studies) that testosterone doesn't actually cause more aggressive behavior.

EDIT: It's called "The Trouble With Testosterone" by Sapolsky.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Last edited by GodofCheesecake at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by MakinLattes
I hope some male feminists show up and make this thread funnier.

this, but they're probably all still in school at this time.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
I can't think of a single species where the biology of the males and females doesn't affect their behaviour in a substantial way. We've evolved the way we have for a reason, and to deny these biological differences in behaviour and thinking would be preposterous.
Quote by walkinbazooka

I actually included a piece from that yesterday in an essay.

I still think biology is a factor. How big? No idea. Maybe neglible. Maybe not.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by CoreysMonster
I can't think of a single species where the biology of the males and females doesn't affect their behaviour in a substantial way. We've evolved the way we have for a reason, and to deny these biological differences in behaviour and thinking would be preposterous.

Where'd your orange go?

Quote by moscaespañol
Where'd your orange go?

I quit, article comments pissed me off too much.

also I have a shitton of uni work and normal work these days
Quote by CoreysMonster
I quit, article comments pissed me off too much.

also I have a shitton of uni work and normal work these days

it's true, article comments are retarded.

I say it can be both but gender is not entirely nurtured. I know a biological girl who's transgender and she definitely was not nurtured into it. She has some of the women aspects from the amount of estrogen in her brain but she seems to have a much more male style of thinking and acting.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I say it can be both but gender is not entirely nurtured. I know a biological girl who's transgender and she definitely was not nurtured into it. She has some of the women aspects from the amount of estrogen in her brain but she seems to have a much more male style of thinking and acting.

I also know a transgendered person who has a hormonal imbalance and didn't identify with his biological sex for his entire life.

EDIT: wasn't there that thing where male fish who live in water contaminated by the residue of the birth control pill all start behaving like females?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by (vio-lence)

"Are there biological reasons men have a greater tendency than women to want sex without obligation?"

women want it just as much, but men arent called sluts, or have to deal with being pregnate.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
women want it just as much, but men arent called sluts, or have to deal with being pregnate.

Women arent called sluts to the degree thata lot of people say, men are vilified for promiscuity just as much in my experience and men have to deal with being forced into parenthood against their will.Women can always adopt or abort. Also women have nearly 50 non permanent methods of contraception, many of which are more reliable than the condom which is the only method available to guys at the moment. Its their body so they she bear most of the responsibility for what happens to it

EDIT: Testosterone levels are closely linked to libido so men generally do have higher libidos. The testimonials of females undergoing male hormone replacement therapy support this
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Last edited by Eggmond at Mar 16, 2012,
I suppose that sex plays a significant part in determining the general characteristics of gender roles but that today's culture modulates those characteristics to create extreme gender roles with negative impacts to society as a whole. As a result, anorexia is a disorder which is culture-bound to the Western industrialized nations, women are greatly outnumbered in positions of leadership, men commit over 90% of violent crime, boys are dropping out of school at a significantly higher rate than girls, guys seek help less often than gals especially when dealing with depression and mental health issues, etc. Culture plays a definite role as these problems are not universally experienced in every culture but nurture MUST play to the rules of nature.
Quote by BladeSlinger

If this person identifies more as a male, you should probably refer to him as such. Like, I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I just mean to avoid offending him.
My band, Escher

Quote by Lappo

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT
Quote by GodofCheesecake
If this person identifies more as a male, you should probably refer to him as such. Like, I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I just mean to avoid offending him.

You're going to offend people wherever you go. I refer to her by her biological sex, not her gender. I'm extremely close with her but I've volunteered my car for a two hour trip to a LGBT event so she could go. If she's that offended, I'll most likely tell her to deal with it. She's still female to an extent, so I'm not out of place in referring to her based on what parts she has.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by technicolour
The nature vs nurture argument is a fallacy. Both sides are inseparable.

http://www.amazon.com/Dependent-Gene-Fallacy-Nature-Nurture/dp/0805072802

Thread is flawed from the outset, learn to biology, etc,etc.

Quote by darkstar2466
- Built-in bioprogramming evolved from the separation of gender in itself.
- Built-in bioprogramming evolved from survival and cultural practices.

What these guys said.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.