Page 1 of 2
I basically stole the title from the article, but oh well.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/mar/12/st-petersburg-bans-homosexual-propaganda?newsfeed=true

The law, signed by St Petersburg's governor last week, came amid increasing calls by leading Russian politicians and Orthodox Church officials to bring anti-gay laws to the federal level. Dmitry Pershin, head of the Church's youth council, renewed those calls on Mondayafter praising the St Petersburg law for "helping to protect children from information manipulation by minorities that promote sodomy".

The law's content is vague – it criminalises "public action aimed at propagandising sodomy, lesbianism, bisexualism, and transgenderism among minors". Those charged with breaking the law will be fined from 5,000 (£108) to 500,000 roubles.

That's $167 to $16782 CAD. The latter is quite a hefty fine for being gay.

So what are your thoughts on this? Do you think it will stay? Be repealed?

Also a little tidbit..

Levada Centre poll released in July 2010 found that 38% of Russians thought homosexuality was a "bad habit" and 36% thought it was "a sickness or result of a psychological trauma". Yet the same poll found that 41% supported laws banning discrimination based on sexual orientation, while 31% were against it and the rest were undecided.

Seems as if the public didn't want it that badly.
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by blake1221
Only in America.

Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

I didn't know how to respond to it.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Russia's an orthodox country.

Tis to be expected.

Crazy religion.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24

Tis to be expected.

Crazy religion.

The sad thing is that it's hard for me to be against their religious groups since their temples look like ice cream.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
That's too bad, because Queen is a good band.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The sad thing is that it's hard for me to be against their religious groups since their temples look like ice cream.

Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Its okay. Cuz this country isnt America, so they arent critiqued by every living on the planet, thus we can write it off as a "lost cause" and let it be.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
"helping to protect children from information manipulation by minorities that promote sodomy".

What's wrong with children knowing what sodomy is.....
It would stop them getting suprise-raped would it not?
Last edited by T7E at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by T7E
What's wrong with children knowing what sodomy is.....
It would stop them getting suprise-raped would it not?

How? I doubt a kiddy fiddler will care either way.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
This law should be worrying the Pit. Just think of all the times someone has come here for advice, only to be told some variant of "stick it in your/her/his/its pooper".
Quote by skylerjames13

Seems as if the public didn't want it that badly.

Probably wouldn't trust any kind of Russian polling system
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Carnivean
Its okay. Cuz this country isnt America, so they arent critiqued by every living on the planet, thus we can write it off as a "lost cause" and let it be.

Read my previous post. My lack of outrage has nothing to do with it not being in America.
Quote by L2112Lif
When I hear St Petersburg all I can ever think of is this...

Quote by kertets
Only losers post their opinions on the internet.
Quote by Novacane...

looks like hes raping him tbh
Wait, so what exactly is meant by "public action aimed at propagandising..."? Whether someone is trying to promote homosexual values is not necessarily clear in a set of actions alone. In this sense, suggesting that someone is "propagandising" is suggesting that an observer is able to know the intentions behind a set of actions.

It seems like two gay men holding hands could be prosecuted under this law if a group of people viewed their actions as an intent to promote homosexuality.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
I would like to say something but there might be russian spys on this website

>_>
<_<

>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Wait, so what exactly is meant by "public action aimed at propagandising..."? Whether someone is trying to promote homosexual values is not necessarily clear in a set of actions alone. In this sense, suggesting that someone is "propagandising" is suggesting that an observer is able to know the intentions behind a set of actions.

It seems like two gay men holding hands could be prosecuted under this law if a group of people viewed their actions as an intent to promote homosexuality.

Yes, they could be arrested.

Hell, I'm pretty sure in the article a man was arrested just for dressing like a girl.
Quote by DonGlover

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Quote by jani92jani
I would like to say something but there might be russian spys on this website

>_>
<_<

>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<
>_>
<_<

A little bit paranoid there aren't you?
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by Novacane...

Oh yes, the Russians.

They take one look at you, scratch their chins, then open fire.
ggg1 ggg3

lol 160$ to 16000$

so you can get a speeding ticket, or a ****ing like failure to properly store firearms fine.

That's pretty much what it equates to for me.
Quote by Carnivean

There's a difference between America and Russia though, America promotes itself as the 'land of the free' and sets a great store by it's people's freedom to live their lives pretty much as they see fit. Russia makes no such promise to it's population.

So when America passes anti-homosexual laws, it's being hypocritical, but Russia isn't.
Of course, that doesn't mean that we should view Russia's prejudices and discrimination with any less disgust than we view America's though.
"a sickness or result of a psychological trauma"

Like being anally prodded? As in they liked it so much they wanted to do it again?
Comrade Santorov supports this.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Last edited by moscaespañol at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by Fisheth24

Tis to be expected.

Crazy religion.

It has nothing to do with religion really. More like cultural thing, "man has to be manly".
Last edited by Gexzilla at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by moscaespañol
Comrade Santorov supports this.

Ptsh...

Comrade Paulotov 2012
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Quote by Novacane...

as soon as I saw the thread title my first thought was this.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
You cannot fine someone for being gay in hope they'll change their ways. That's like sending a pedophile to prison for being attracted to children. He's still gunna like children when he comes out. Using a fine in hope of the reformation of someone's sexuality is just ridiculous.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
You cannot fine someone for being gay in hope they'll change their ways. That's like sending a pedophile to prison for being attracted to children. He's still gunna like children when he comes out. Using a fine in hope of the reformation of someone's sexuality is just ridiculous.
I'd be willing to wager that this law has very little do with "correcting people"... It seems to be more about forcing homosexuality out of the streets, and consequently being able to pretend it doesn't exist.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
iirc sodomy is illegal here, doesn't seem to stop anyone though

I doubt this law will be enforced strictly, its just a way for the government to prevent open discussions/acceptance of sexuality or whatever
cat
That's a relief, for a second there I thought Russia was getting a little TO free.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

You are fersrs my favorite poster ever. Of all time.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Page 1 of 2