Whatsup guys,

I play in a Pop Punk and I'm looking to purchase an Orange head here pretty soon.
My cousin used to have a Rockerverb 50 and I loved the sound of it,
it was an amazing head. I've heard many great things about the OR50 but I'm wondering if their is an entirely different sound between the two?
I've heard demos of the OR50 and to me it just sound phenomenal.
As of right now I'm playing through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster and a Orange 4x12. I'm just really wanting to get an awesome British tone, and I know Orange would be the way to go, especially with my genre of music. If anyone has any advice towards this head, let me know!
It's amazing. Simple as.
Orange amps have always been very expensive but it's all worth it. Even their Chinese made amps are top notch and sound amazing.

Orange amps are constructed so well and sound so good and they are pretty much the most consistent amp make around. I'll even go as far as to say, out of all of the very expensive high end amps (orange, Mesa, Marshall, ENGL) with orange you'll get the most for your money. Best construction, best components and great sound (sound is all opinion). Plus, orange amps are amazingly loud for there wattage compared to most amps with equal wattage. Rob Chappers gigs with a 15 watt dark terror and it manages with ease, it'll just break up quicker.
Get a Matamp (UK/Europe)or an Electric amp if your in the USA. Matamp is the company that created the Orange amps, and Electric amps are the USA Matamp (started by the same guy).
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by TheDuckMajor
It's amazing. Simple as.
Orange amps have always been very expensive but it's all worth it. Even their Chinese made amps are top notch and sound amazing.

Orange amps are constructed so well and sound so good and they are pretty much the most consistent amp make around. I'll even go as far as to say, out of all of the very expensive high end amps (orange, Mesa, Marshall, ENGL) with orange you'll get the most for your money. Best construction, best components and great sound (sound is all opinion). Plus, orange amps are amazingly loud for there wattage compared to most amps with equal wattage. Rob Chappers gigs with a 15 watt dark terror and it manages with ease, it'll just break up quicker.

My Thunderverb was cool but no way I'd say that they're the best constructed nor do they use the best components.

Personally, I don't like Oranges for anything other than sludge/doom/stoner stuff. Otherwise they're too loose and thick and most of them tend to lose clarity with the gain up high.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I feel like the OR50 would go well with my music but I'm still not too sure.
I'm playing through an American Tele Deluxe with a Little 59' pickup in the bridge.
I'd love to be able to go play it but, don't think I'd have much luck here in Arizona finding one.
Quote by mmolteratx
My Thunderverb was cool but no way I'd say that they're the best constructed nor do they use the best components.

Personally, I don't like Oranges for anything other than sludge/doom/stoner stuff. Otherwise they're too loose and thick and most of them tend to lose clarity with the gain up high.

Dude, thunderverbs are made for sludge/doom/stoner stuff.

The OR, Rockerverb and Astroverb would all suit TS's need really well IMHO.

Was your thunderverb the TH30 for and actual thunderverb?
^The TH30 isn't a Thunderverb.

Never been a big Orange fan. Prefer Marshall and Hiwatt as far as British amps go.

The OR50 sounds quite a bit different from a Rockerverb. Rockerverb is far more modern sounding and more suited for your typical high gain styles. They both have that fuzzy, dark, Orange sound though.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 16, 2012,
I'm still trying to figure out if the OR50 has the same gain as a Rockerverb.
I know the OR50 is very versatile but, I'm still not sure about how much gain it can provide.
I've seen a lot of videos on the OR50 but none showing how far the gain can go.
it doesn't have the same amount of preamp distortion as the rockerverb100
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by TheDuckMajor
Dude, thunderverbs are made for sludge/doom/stoner stuff.

The OR, Rockerverb and Astroverb would all suit TS's need really well IMHO.

Was your thunderverb the TH30 for and actual thunderverb?

Dude, no shit. But that's what the others excel at as well since they're so dark and thick. IME, that tone doesn't work for anything but the aforementioned genres. It just sounds wrong for other heavier styles. Astroverb is a Soldano 16w head. My Thunderverb was the 50. The TH30 isn't a Thunderverb.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by al112987
^The TH30 isn't a Thunderverb.

Never been a big Orange fan. Prefer Marshall and Hiwatt as far as British amps go.

The OR50 sounds quite a bit different from a Rockerverb. Rockerverb is far more modern sounding and more suited for your typical high gain styles. They both have that fuzzy, dark, Orange sound though.

Mmm, well it's all just a matter of opinion.
I adore vintage Marshall's (silver jubilee, jcm800 etc.) but the modern ones just do t cut it for me.

The vintage modern is ok but it sounds a bit too thin and doesnt have balls and its not very reminiscent of the JCM800 (which the normal channel is meant to be the same) and the modern channel isn't modern enough for a modern channel.

The JVM series is slightly better, it has more balls, but I just think that its nothing compared the the JCM800. Its like and improved version of "jack of all, master of none". Maybe "queen of all master of none"
The vintage JCMs destroy them though. They aren't very versatile and a single channel is a bit of a pain but IMO it's by far the best at what it's for, it's got so much balls and everything else that comes with it.

On the other hand, orange amps are just very consistent and have gotten better iced the years rather than worse. Yes orange amps are darker sounding but TBH so many guitars today are naturally bright sounding that it really shouldn't be a problem and people always opt for bright pickups. Plus, even though orange amps have shitloads of gain on tap they still sound ****ing awesome for hard/classic rock, they're pretty good for hair metal and good for metal and they still have great cleans. The best thing about it being dark sounding is that cleans don't sound overly bright /harsh like they do on most amps.

Orange amps also have very balanced frequencies which sounds really good.

Saying that, I'd take a Vintage JCM800 over an orange any day, in fact, I'd take one over nearly all amps.
Quote by mmolteratx
Dude, no shit. But that's what the others excel at as well since they're so dark and thick. IME, that tone doesn't work for anything but the aforementioned genres. It just sounds wrong for other heavier styles. Astroverb is a Soldano 16w head. My Thunderverb was the 50. The TH30 isn't a Thunderverb.

Sorry, I got mixed up, I meant the AD50 not the astroverb.
But on another note, I own a rockerverb 50 and a Thunder 30 and I can get amazing rock to ds from it and TBH they aren't that dark (I'm not denying that they are darker than most amps though). But if you cant get any tones that are could for anything other than doom metal then you really have no idea how to use an amp. there are countless videos on YouTube and I've done it first hand and you can always get great rock and metal tones. Do you really think that they called there amp a rockerverb so that people would play doom metal on it? No, it's an amp for hard rock.
the or, ad, th, tv, and rv are all very different amps.

you can play doom metal on the rockerverb100.
Yes, I don't think it's very versatile so I have no idea how to use an amp. That must be it. Never played an Orange clean channel worth having around. They're alright but don't have much headroom and are dark as shit. This is even compared to my Diezel which is super dark already. Add to that their huge low mid emphasis and it appears to be even darker than it actually is. Spent hours playing all of the ones they had at GC and while they were alright for other styles, they certainly wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice. The typical pop rock guitar tone has a lot of high mid emphasis. The Oranges I've played simply don't have that. Doesn't mean you can't play said genres with them. I'd just rather have dozens of other amps over them because, IME, they fit the style better. Much credit in that they're one of the few companies around pumping out genuinely new designs though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Yes, I don't think it's very versatile so I have no idea how to use an amp. That must be it. Never played an Orange clean channel worth having around. They're alright but don't have much headroom and are dark as shit. This is even compared to my Diezel which is super dark already. Add to that their huge low mid emphasis and it appears to be even darker than it actually is. Spent hours playing all of the ones they had at GC and while they were alright for other styles, they certainly wouldn't be anywhere near my first choice. The typical pop rock guitar tone has a lot of high mid emphasis. The Oranges I've played simply don't have that. Doesn't mean you can't play said genres with them. I'd just rather have dozens of other amps over them because, IME, they fit the style better. Much credit in that they're one of the few companies around pumping out genuinely new designs though.

they were before they moved to china.
^ I wouldn't agree that you get more/dollar with orange either. 2-3 band global eq? not really more for your money
Quote by rokket2005
^ I wouldn't agree that you get more/dollar with orange either. 2-3 band global eq? not really more for your money

TBH, I think the shape control that they have is more useful than the 2 and 3 bands.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

is the shape control any different than the tone control on the terror line?

All of my amps have 3 bands for each channel, plus global presence and depth. Orange tone isnt really for me anyway, though.
the tone on the tt line is the same as the cut control on a vox.

the shape control on some of the other amps is a baxandall on a dual gang pot.