Hey guys,

My American Standard Strat I think needs some adjustment but I'm not sure in which areas. It's got stock everything, havnt changed strings or pickups.

The E (6th) string buzzes when played (yes it can be heard through the amp), I'm thinking the string height may be too low. It also creates a dirty sound when playing on clean amp (tried it out with my squier strat and it's fine).

Also, what are the stock strings on an american standard (made in 2011).

Thanks for your help.
why don't you try changing the strings first? old strings do weird things, and if your guitar was made in 2011, then those strings are at least 3-4 months old.

stock strings? probably fenders of some sort, but it's not really a big deal, just change them to whatever you prefer.

fresh strings sounds the best.
and this is how you raise a string.
use a tiny allen wrench
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Thanks for the advice. I havn't really tried many strings, whats one that is similar to the stock ones? Apparently they're Fender Standard Tension Bullet ST3250L's (.009 to .042).

Anyone know of some quality strings similar to that?

Once again I appreciate the help!
Also it seems like it picks up a lot of noise from the other strings more than single coils should? Pickup change?
if the strings are too low then the
noise is fret buzz.
raise the strings.

if you get a lot of electric noise,
that quiets when you touch the strings
could be a shoddy guitar cable,
a lower end amp or a loose ground wire.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Well first off, yeah, change the strings lol. They should be changed monthly if you play a lot. If the buzzing continues, raise the string height like in the picture jj1565 posted.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Yeah its both of those noises jj, amp is an AC30VR with Fender tonemaster leads.
Quote by Volcz
Yeah its both of those noises jj, amp is an AC30VR with Fender tonemaster leads.

ok so start out by deciding on a new set of strings in the same gauge you have there.

usually 9s or 10s. (i suggest 10s, because you have buzz)

then swap one string at a time.

and stretch the strings after. strum them and pull up on them at the center of the board, while pushing down on them with your thumb.

once they hold a tune, might take a session or two of playing.

then you check adjust the action at the bridge and see if any buzz is eliminated.

then check that the guitar is in tune at the 12th fret, when the open string is in tune.

then post back and let me know if the acoustic buzz has lessened.

additionally, while at the guitar shop, pick up a good guitar cable, if your current one is old.

and check that the guitar is grounded properly, by seeing if the guitar quiets when you touch metal on the guitar.

also, see if the buzz lessens when you switch the pickup selector
to the 2 or 4 spot on the switch.

and check the room where you play, to make sure you arent playing near a computer monitor, running fan, or other outside
interference.

you can also, take the guitar with you to the shop, ad see if
if it is more quiet electrically, when plugged into different amps.

i wouldnt expect the acoustic noise to stop until you set it up tho.

anyway, i ramble on here, just do what you can, answer what you can, and post back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Thanks J,

I'm taking it in to the local music shop and will be performing tests there. Yes my amp is very close to a computer and a TV. The noise does lessen when in the two "humbucking" positions on the strat.

The leads should be okay, but I'll try other ones just in case.

Looking at getting 10-46 ernie ball regular slinky. Can't find any ernie's at 10-52.
seems like a good plan. make sure you swap one string at a time.

or you'll have additional setups to do.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If you like the Fender strings that are on there currently, you could just buy more of those. No need to switch brand or gauge if you like what you have.

As for buzz and general set up, switching to thicker strings won't help. If anything thicker strings invite more buzz and you have to raise the string height further to avoid it (not to mention re-balance the bridge, and possibly adjust intonation).

What I'd do if I were you is simply buy another set of Fender's strings and then with those on make a very small adjustment to the saddle height. Making more drastic changes invites more problems. You could also try lowering your pickups to reduce distortion/how clearly any fretbuzz comes through your amp. Of course, ideally you'd have no fretbuzz, but it's very hard (if not impossible) to get any guitar to have absolutely no buzz whatsoever and still have the strings at a reasonable height.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^personally i'm not a fan of fender or EB strings.

imo, i dont see the benefit of buying fender strings here.
he can get the ones he wants, if they are of similar gauge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62