i ordered a new laptop from HP. should be in today. its a monster i7 quadcore one. only reason i'm getting it is to use it as a processor for guitar effects. thru it i can filter out guitar parts on videos and insert my own playing into it. using software from places like guitarfx.com and a few other ones. i'll be able to run my guitar thru the laptop and into my TV to play youtube videos with myself on acoustic. anyone here use this kinda stuff? i could use some helpful insights.
Quote by stepchildusmc
...filter out guitar parts on videos and insert my own playing into it.

That sounds very cool. I'm interested to hear how it goes.
it's the only recourse i have here. most people that play music in my area are very old time country music fans. very few share my tastes.
theoretically dave, it shouldn't be any different than using rocksmith, only with a lot more choices in music selection. i'm computer stupid so this should be quite the adventure !
just waiting on UPS to deliver . hopefully otheres here have used similar setups and can help me in this endeavor.
what black magic is this?
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
evil evil magic mikey ! you probably don't get that in canadia( air's much thinner that high up). ever play Rocksmith on your xbox before it spontaneously combusted? neat tool. this is just the hyper version of it.
l had to sell a soul to get the software, i don't have one so i volunteered yours, sorry ox.
Last edited by stepchildusmc at Mar 16, 2012,
Let me know how it goes, the one beef i had with rocksmith was that it was a video game first and foremost. I'd love to see something similar designed as an effective practice tool
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
if it doesn't go, i just spent what i coulda used on the taylor hot rod or a good adamas on a really fast UG browser tool.
Good for you, I'm glad your taking advantage of modern techology, unlike me, the luddite that still refuses to surrender his slide rule.
I'm the only player to be sponsered by 7 guitar companies not to use their products.
Quote by stepchildusmc
i ordered a new laptop from HP. should be in today. its a monster i7 quadcore one. only reason i'm getting it is to use it as a processor for guitar effects. thru it i can filter out guitar parts on videos and insert my own playing into it. using software from places like guitarfx.com and a few other ones. i'll be able to run my guitar thru the laptop and into my TV to play youtube videos with myself on acoustic. anyone here use this kinda stuff? i could use some helpful insights.

The only question I have is "why the laptop"? You could have gotten more oomph, for less money, with a desktop.

Well that, and the ability to put a slammin' ass video card in the desktop for gaming.

(I have a lappy, but it, (nor I), get out that much. (That said it's a pretty low tech, Celeron 900 based, $300.00 closeout)).
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 16, 2012,
thanks dave. Cranky, the laptop's got more than my desktop and i have a decent media center desktop connected to my tv already. its a custom built HP lappy, quad core processor, radeon 7470 gddr5 graphics. should be able to run all i need. plus i'll get to bring it with me when i go over to timmy's for a sleepover !
Quote by stepchildusmc
Cranky, the laptop's got more than my desktop and i have a decent media center desktop connected to my tv already. its a custom built HP lappy, quad core processor, radeon 7470 gddr5 graphics. should be able to run all i need.
That's way spunkier than my best desktop. (Core i3), best of luck with it. If I can taper off impulse buying crappy mid price guitars for a few months, I'd like to build a desktop with one of the new Intel "Ivy Bridge" 22 nm CPUs when they come out. The Intel HD 4000 integrated IGP should be more than plenty for me.

Anyhow, I'm hoping you lucked into a multiple activation EULA with your high bucks software. Adobe does this with their product, allowing 2 installs per copy. (1 desk 1 lap). (Of course they've gone on to push monthly subscriptions, bad....,bad, road for users). (I don't mean to be a downer but I've been watching how software publishers have been escalating the abuse of their customers for years).

Anyway have fun with your new toys.

Quote by BlackbirdPie
Good for you, I'm glad your taking advantage of modern techology, unlike me, the luddite that still refuses to surrender his slide rule.
Perhaps, someone will write a touch screen slide rule app for a tablet computer, which will enable you to embrace today, while maintaining your love of the past.

(Yeah, I know, that's like buying a Kindle to read a book. The only thing that matters is you must try your best to forget just how wrong that is conceptually)...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by Captaincranky
You could have gotten more oomph, for less money, with a desktop.

Quote by Hildegard52
You could have gotten more oomph, for less money, with a desktop.
Look Step, a "Cranky-Bot"...

I'm truly sorry, really. I swear to you in all honesty, I had absolutely nothing to do with this.....
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 17, 2012,
great ! now you have a fan club !now i need to order another so i can get double the "oomph" my much modded m9517c desk still doesnt have the speed i need. and its tough to bring over to cranky's when we have our" dueling banjos" sessions. still sorting thru what this new one can do. i feel like an idiot when i start looking at this thing. 1tb hd, 12gb ram, i7 quad core. just started setting up guitar fx, it'll take me a week to get this up and running. one of the local pc geeks is gonna come over tomorrow to give me a hand.
Please post your, "Guitar FX" software, (and whatever else you're trying to install), homepage, so I can have a look at it.

A Google search turned up several different links using that general name. None of the results I got seemed hardware intensive. That said, I didn't check them all out either.