So, I've been using tube amps for about a year and a half now, but I'm still not all that familiar with the technical aspects yet. My main question is if its bad for the amp or the tubes for the amp to be on standby for a prolonged period of time. I put my amp in standby yesterday thinking that I was going to play and got caught up in some school stuff and accidentally left it on standby for the rest of the day and into this morning. Sadly, this isn't the first time that this has happened. So again, is that harmful to any part of the amp? I appreciate any input!
You'll never be the man your mother was.

I get a little depressed when I see vintage guitars in glass cases in restaurants. They’re like little tombs, you know?
It'll not harm your amp as long as you don't do it regularly xD. Don't know on tube wear though, that keeps them warm.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
That will wear on your tubes a bit, but its not really going to do any other damage. I wouldn't worry about it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
When an amp is in standby, the only power it's getting is the (roughly) 6 volts to the tube heaters and to the various LEDs, pilot lights, relays, and fans that the amp may or may not have.

There is a phenomenon known as "cathode poisoning" that is alleged to happen if an amp is in standby too long. There's some debate about how much of an effect there actually is, but the very worst case scenario is a small reduction in tube life. Obviously it's better to just have the amp off, but outside of long-term heat damage if it's left on in a poorly ventilated area (very unlikely), all you're doing is possibly shortening the life of your tubes and power light bulb.
Don't make it a habit, but it probably didn't damage anything. To get the best tone it's best to warm up the amp for like 30 minutes before you play.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
Don't make it a habit, but it probably didn't damage anything. To get the best tone it's best to warm up the amp for like 30 minutes before you play.

Now THAT'S Funny!!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
30 minutes? Really? I let my tubes warm just from 1 to 5 minutes xD!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich

30 minutes!?!?! WOW!

I usually flip the power on, tune up, standby off, and start playing. maybe a minute in standby.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Some amps do seem to 'settle in' after 20-30 minutes of playing, but standby? I doubt that.
I've had several tube amps with no standby, including my current one.

Its not a big enough issue to warrant any 'rules.' Just remember that the amp will be warming up for the first minute roughly (usually less) so its best to wait before playing. Sometimes with my current amp I turn it on and strum as it warms up, it makes a cool volume swell sound that makes me yell 'Tubes engage! Approaching warp speed!' That's usually the highlight of my day.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
hell, sometimes I only have 30 minutes of free time to play I'd never get to jam if I had to do 30 minutes of standby time.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by titan amps
Standby switches aren't really necessary. Leave both switches on the on position and use the power supply to turn everything on and off. Leaving an amp on in standby does more damage to the tubes than turning it full on and off.

Most companies only install them because they're expected, not necessary or even useful.

If you want to make your rig quiet during a break, use the volume knob on the guitar.

Yep
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by tubetime86
I've had several tube amps with no standby, including my current one.

Its not a big enough issue to warrant any 'rules.' Just remember that the amp will be warming up for the first minute roughly (usually less) so its best to wait before playing. Sometimes with my current amp I turn it on and strum as it warms up, it makes a cool volume swell sound that makes me yell 'Tubes engage! Approaching warp speed!' That's usually the highlight of my day.

Exactly the same happens when I play through my Laney LC15R the fade in sounds fun xD!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Proper use of the Standby Switch: Leave in off position for 1 minute when powering up the amp. Turn on for play. Place in off position for extended break periods.

Myles wrote: The B+ voltage (high voltage) is not applied to the tubes when the amp is in standby.
Cathode biased amps run at 100% when not in standby, even when the volume is off and even if nothing is in the input jack.

Grid biased amps will run at about 50% depending on where bias is set.
Bottom line ... to extend tube life use your standby switch.

DRZ wrote: When you engage Standby to the off position you De-Energize the Output Transformer, that is you remove High Voltage from it's Primary.
By doing so you can now SAFELY remove the load (i.e. Speaker ) from the amp.

You remove the High Voltage from all the tubes Plates, which though it would be very hard to measure would put slightly less ware on the tubes, maybe making them last SLIGHTLY longer.
You can now remove your guitar jack as the Standby switch, acts like a MUTE switch to eliminate any pop.

You can now leave your amp Powered UP, for say a break without fear of any noise being emitted, and the amp will now instantly work once the Standby switch is in the ON position.
Is Standby a nice feature YES, is it needed in a low powered tube rectified guitar amp NO.

DR.Z

Read more: http://ztalk.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=maz18&action=display&thread=30034#ixzz1pJY0fTWF
Still standby switches are kinda unnecessary.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
cathode poisoning. it's a real thing.

standby switches are lazy.

if you must have them they should incorporate soft start and heater voltage division while on standby.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by fastlanestoner

I flick the standby switch one, pick my guitar, plug in, tune up and possibly warm my fingers up for about two minutes running scales then it's on and go time. 30 minutes is just ridiculous.
Listen to Colin and Min, they speak truth.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification