Ive got a mesa dual rect roadster. I noticed one of my clean channels is kicking some distortion unless I turn it real low. I boought it used so I dont know how good the tubes are. Could this be bad tubes?
Absolutely. Most likely a preamp tube, but you might as well get a full set of replacement tubes and then keep the good ones as spares.
Sounds like a GOOD tube to me

Yeah, tubes can do all sorts of strange things when they start to go. Volume drops, increased gain, humming/buzzing, and the old complete short/blown fuse.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Doesnt the second clean channel of the Roadster have a naturally gritty vibe?

Quote by Roc8995
Absolutely. Most likely a preamp tube, but you might as well get a full set of replacement tubes and then keep the good ones as spares.

That amp has like 14 at the prices here, about 20 dollars a pop for pres and 40-50 each for power, I can buy an entire new amp with the cash
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Mar 16, 2012,
I think he meant full preamp set... but yeah the roadster and road king have lots of glass.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
No, I did mean a full set. If a complete retube is too expensive, the best option is a set of power tubes and a couple preamps. You can replace the preamps individually so you don't really need a full set of those.
TS - I'm assuming you know what it should sound like... Right? It sounds like it is definitely a tube issue, and since you'll need a whole set eventually why not buy them now? Look on the bright side; it doesn't have to be biased so you'll save time and money on going to a tech.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Legend has it that the first attempts at producing distortion out of an amp without simply cranking it to full volume was done by old bluesmen using faulty or poorly seated tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
or peirced speakers..

/off topic.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
The pierced speakers thing is normally attributed to the Kinks which happened quite some time later.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification