So if your speaker cab is rated for a max of 120 watts, could you use a 150 watt amp and just not crank it super high? I don't plan to do this but I've just always wondered.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
You could if you needed to, but I wouldn't do it for a rig or permanent setup. I like extra wattage on the cab bc I turn my amp all the way up and use the guitar volume control bc it sounds better and gives you more flexibility.
Last edited by treysonpwaters at Mar 16, 2012,
I wouldn't do it long term. Having extra speaker wattage will keep your speakers from distorting. This is helpful if you want to play high gain stuff.
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

if you keep it very low, it'd probably be ok. like if you were playing it in a bedroom situation or something like that.

i wouldn't want it for anything like gigs or anything like that. most tube amps are probably putting out more than their rated wattage when cranked, so it's hard to know exactly how much it's putting out at any particular point on the dial. also different speaker manufacturers rate their speakers' wattage differently (some conservative, some more optimistic) so you have to bear that in mind, too. Celestions rated at 120 might even be ok with a 150 watter cranked (though i wouldn't chance it)... eminence or something like that (which have the rep of rating more optimistically) i wouldn't even really want to put the rated wattage through it cranked.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yes you can. as long as you aren't absolutely cranking the amp, you should be okay. I wouldn't do it permanently, but as a fix it would certainly work