I'm writing this, for a friend, who recently was given an older Peavey 400 amp. I went to his house and heard it, very nice, LOUD amp - 600 watts worth. It's one of those amps that could be used for vocals, guitar and some bass. The sound is nice for clean but he wants some distortion (Megadeth - Exodus comparable) Until he can get the amp he really wants - a few months down the road

Not looking to spend too much money but maybe something along the lines of a decent Boss or Digitech. $100.00 or so bucks?

Any recommendations?

I haven't bought a pedal in some time (I'm using Line 6 amps now) and I know when I was buying, I had a heck of a time getting the sound I wanted.

Thanks in advance!!
Check out the Hardwire TL-2.

It might be worth looking into an MFX with preamp models, since the amp you're talking about is most likely a PA or keyboard amp. Maybe the Boss ME-25 - I'm not sure if that unit has preamp models or not.

EDIT: I'm thinking about it a little more now, and he should probably invest in a Line 6 POD HD300 or something like that. The new amp he gets will most likely render the TL-2 useless, whereas a POD is flexible enough to be used in any rig, and sound good. You can also use it by itself with headphones. So it'd be more of a useful investment than a stopgap that's going to become useless in the future like a distortion pedal.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 16, 2012,
Quote by Offworld92
Check out the Hardwire TL-2.

It might be worth looking into an MFX with preamp models, since the amp you're talking about is most likely a PA or keyboard amp. Maybe the Boss ME-25 - I'm not sure if that unit has preamp models or not.

EDIT: I'm thinking about it a little more now, and he should probably invest in a Line 6 POD HD300 or something like that. The new amp he gets will most likely render the TL-2 useless, whereas a POD is flexible enough to be used in any rig, and sound good. You can also use it by itself with headphones. So it'd be more of a useful investment than a stopgap that's going to become useless in the future like a distortion pedal.

Looks like that may be a bit too much (299.00) for what he wants to spend right now. He was thinking of getting the same amp I am using: Line 6 Spider IV 75. He just wanted something to get him close, in distortion until then. Just a quick fix type of deal.

PS...No, his model has no preamp. It has 3 inputs, If I'm correct, all 3 in front, all the settings, to be adjusted, are the same (Treble, mid, bass, volume). But man, this thing weighs like 70 lbs.

Thanks for the info though!!
Last edited by D'stortion at Mar 16, 2012,
I wouldn't recommend a Spider. If you gave us his budget, what country he lives in and what he wants to play, we could point you in the direction of something better.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I wouldn't recommend a Spider. If you gave us his budget, what country he lives in and what he wants to play, we could point you in the direction of something better.

We live in the US,

His budget is low for just getting a pedal to hold him over. He wanted just a quick fix, to tide him over while we jam. He's using an ESP LTD EX model, with the standard ESP pickups.

We play mostly Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Scorpions and such.

BTW: Why not the Spider? I have the IV 75 Watt and to be honest, I like the sound, for the money. I've had it for 2 years now, with no problems It gives me the distortion I like with all the extras. I'm Playing a Fender Strat and an ESP LTD KH602.

Just curious.
There's just better amps for the money out there than a Spider. And plus they get a pretty bad rep on here. But I used one for a couple years til I upgraded with a Boss DS-1 and worked fine for me. Just all about personal preference.
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff