Page 1 of 2
I'm thinking about getting myself a new guitar for my birthday and I have narrowed it down to two new les pauls. I am not in a position to try either of these guitars at the moment so I would like to know what you think.

I have narrowed it down to an epiphone les paul tribute such as this
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Tribute-Plus-Vintage-Sunburst/HTE

and a gibson les paul studio such as this
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Alpine-White-Gold-Hardware-Guitar/9T2

would you say the gibson is a dramatic improvement over the epi, and if so, why?
Is it worth the extra money?

Thanks a lot
Depends if it's going to be a home guitar or show guitar. If it's a home guitar, you may not notice a gigantic difference, but if it's a show guitar, you'll probably find that the quality is muuuuuch nicer on the Gibson. Not a substantial price difference, and imo, totally worth it.
Gibson. Better quality woods and electronics, hardware and fretwork... better quality control over all.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I'd rather have a nice epi then a cheap gibson, imo
just give me a fender and let me rip
Okay thanks guys. I just wanted to check that I wouldn't be paying the extra just for the Gibson name, but from what you two have said it's definitely worth it.
Thank you both
Quote by sk8board3r

Can you explain why that is?
I'll go with a Gibson, unless it hapens to be an extremely well made Epi ( which I have seen, and own). I owned a Gibson LP studio and it was a great guitar
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ive owned an epi LP custom and it was a great guitar, you'll save yourself a few bucks, and if you feel like it, you can put that extra money into upgrading the pups and/or hardware, straplocks, new nut, whatever and you'll end up with a guitar that maybe has a cheaper wood (really wouldn't make a huge difference anyway) but probably come out the better guitar
just give me a fender and let me rip
How about if i were to get a used gibson studio? so that would bring the price down to about £600? Does that make it a clear winner or would the epi still have favourable points?
Quote by sk8board3r

Most cheap Gibsons are much better than any high-end Epi. If your going for show, yes the Epi will look nicer in aperance than a cheap Gibson. But asfar as QC, I'd put a Gibson over a Epi probably 9/10 times.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would go with the Gibson... It's good that the one in the picture has the little protector like coverings over the humbuckers, it makes some feedback in a certain kind of light I heard.
Gibson is known for being legendary, and epic, with major history, and even if you bought their crapiest of crap, the Gibson would still be better than half the guitars on the wall. It's a Gibson, there's no such thing as a bad Gibson. You know?
I hear both good and bad things about Epiphone's. Besides them being the knock-off brand for the expensive ones, which just welcomes laughter, you're gambling money. You could be wasting a lot for a "bad batch."
Besides facts, which you should take into consideration, there's also the fact that the store may take your decision into a complete different direction. When you get yours hands on a variety of guitars in the store, you might chose something else.
I looked around and went with the Epi (back-ordered - so not completely committed yet) I'm not an expert, but the electronics on the Epi are top of the line, made in the USA (SwitchCraft, and Gibson). I've listened to sound bites, and it sounds as good as it looks. Granted, if cost is no object, a Gibson with similar electronics wins hands down. But the Tribute Epi seems like a real winner for the price. (and you still get lifetime warranty from Gibson).
Last edited by Rowdy Sluggins at Mar 16, 2012,
Firstly, that's not a 'high end' Epiphone. The high end Epis are the Elite and Elitist series, which you'd need to import from Japan. Those are the only Epiphones comparable to Gibsons.

In the case of every other Epi, including this one, always get the Gibson. The Epiphone might look flashier out the box but the Gibson is built better and uses better components.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^^^ I'd only take an Elite/Elitist over a studio.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Quote by sk8board3r

i tend to look at it like this:

gibson and epiphone are owned by the same company. they are part of the same product line, except the brand name changes when you get to the american made products. therefore, technically a nice epi is just an even cheaper cheap gibson. (of course there are a few exceptions, but not that many!)

for this reason, i think the same people who say "just get a high end epiphone, don't be fooled by the brand name" are being fooled by the brand name themselves, because what they are doing is assuming that the most expensive epiphone is a top of the line, high quality guitar just because it's the most expensive guitar offered with that brand name attached to it, whereas the cheapest gibson must be entry level junk, because it is the cheapest guitar offered with that brand name attached to it.

you don't hear people talking about high end indonesian ibanez VS low end japanese ibanez, because there's only one brand name involved they just don't see it like that, but really it's the same kind of thing.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Blompcube
i tend to look at it like this:

gibson and epiphone are owned by the same company. they are part of the same product line, except the brand name changes when you get to the american made products. therefore, technically a nice epi is just an even cheaper cheap gibson. (of course there are a few exceptions, but not that many!)

for this reason, i think the same people who say "just get a high end epiphone, don't be fooled by the brand name" are being fooled by the brand name themselves, because what they are doing is assuming that the most expensive epiphone is a top of the line, high quality guitar just because it's the most expensive guitar offered with that brand name attached to it, whereas the cheapest gibson must be entry level junk, because it is the cheapest guitar offered with that brand name attached to it.

you don't hear people talking about high end indonesian ibanez VS low end japanese ibanez, because there's only one brand name involved they just don't see it like that, but really it's the same kind of thing.

This is one of the best ways of answering this topic I have heard.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What Blompcube said.

Lots of people are also fooled by the fact that "high end" Epiphones look better than the cheaper Gibson models (high gloss finish, binding, trapezoid inlays, etc.) and some don't like the satin finish of the Faded models - which IMO is actually pretty awesome.

However, I'd rather have a good sounding than a good looking guitar.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
What Blompcube said.

Lots of people are also fooled by the fact that "high end" Epiphones look better than the cheaper Gibson models (high gloss finish, binding, trapezoid inlays, etc.) and some don't like the satin finish of the Faded models - which IMO is actually pretty awesome.

However, I'd rather have a good sounding than a good looking guitar.

Faded ones sound worst then studio and are less comfortable. Studio's pickups are better for different stuff + satin finish on neck is a lot more comfortable. I recommend Studio 50's Trbute with either P90 or Humbuckers, and they are cheaper then normal studio, i think they are almost same price with Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom
Thanks a million to everyone here, all of you have given amazingly useful information.
I was leaning towards the gibson studio because I think it has the understated look to it, and hell, it's a Gibson!
Hopefully i'll be able to get out of the house over the next few weeks (just hard knee surgery so laid up in bed) and I'll thoroughly try out the gibsons.
Thanks again!
Quote by jimicrackcorn
Some people here have clearly never actually played a decent Epip before.

I've played many epiphones and none of them so far have compared to my gibson sg special, but maybe I've been missing out though.
What experiences have you had with them?
Quote by slashfan226
Thanks a million to everyone here, all of you have given amazingly useful information.
I was leaning towards the gibson studio because I think it has the understated look to it, and hell, it's a Gibson!
Hopefully i'll be able to get out of the house over the next few weeks (just hard knee surgery so laid up in bed) and I'll thoroughly try out the gibsons.
Thanks again!

Don't forget to look at Studio 50's tribute models too!
Quote by cemges
Don't forget to look at Studio 50's tribute models too!

I won't! I'll work my way through my local stores entire gibson studio range (they'll love me)
Quote by cemges
Faded ones sound worst then studio and are less comfortable. Studio's pickups are better for different stuff + satin finish on neck is a lot more comfortable. I recommend Studio 50's Trbute with either P90 or Humbuckers, and they are cheaper then normal studio, i think they are almost same price with Epiphone Zakk Wylde Custom

the only differences between the faded studio and the regular studio is that the regular studio model has the 490R/498T pickup combination and a high gloss finish whereas the faded has burstbucker pros and no clear-coat on the finish. other than that they are made from the same body and neck blanks, there is no difference in quality other than what naturally occurs on an individual instrument basis. whether one sounds better or is more comfortable than another is a purely subjective thing.

So there's really nothing that makes the faded guitars objectively worse than the regular studios. You may not like them, but that's irrelevant to everyone except you.

Quote by jimicrackcorn

since everyone's definition of "decent" varies that's a pretty useless statement.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Last edited by Blompcube at Mar 17, 2012,
If you are willing to spend the extra then go for the Gibson as it is a far better quality guitar. I got an Epi Custom last month for £580 and as nice as it looks and plays, I would have much preferred a gibson, unfortunately you don't get a LP with EMGs for cheap with Gibson
I have both. I like them both but my Gibson LP wins hands down over my Epi when it comes to tone. I use the Epi for playing out and they are a great guitar for that. I have had to replace the pickups in the Epi with some Dimarzio Evolutions and made it a pretty hot guitar that I don't mind beating up a little. The Gibson pretty much stays home and makes an occasional appearance at church. I do plan on a couple more Epi's and will replace the electronics in those with a variation of Seymore, Dimarzio and EMG pickups for guitars I don't mind beating up while playing out.
My Gear:

Jackson RR3 Pro
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender CD140 Acoustic/Electric
Line 5 HD500 effects unit
Marshall MA100

"Grunge was invented for people who can't play solos"
Quote by jimicrackcorn
I have four Epiphones right now, and I've previously owned another six? Seven? I lose count. I've also got a couple of Gibsons with me and have previously owned another few Gibsons. Not to mention all the guitars I've borrowed, rented, tried, etc.

Every Gibson knocks every epiphone out of the park, with the exception of a few weirder features that Epiphones sometimes get (typically weird pickup configurations). Even then, the Epiphones are far behind in terms of plain quality.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ive seen good , normal and horrid of both.

80% of the time, the gibson will be better, but really it comes down to what is laid out in front of you. you need to see the specific guitars cause i honestly think epiphone has pretty bad quality control forany company

and i think for a premium brand gibson has probably the worst quality control for such an expensive brand.

i so in to GC and pick up epiphones and feel wobbly stuff. a dead givaway are the knobs and pots. if i see a guitar and the knobs are on crooked, i put it down. i dont even strum a chord.

ive seen gibsons in GCs where the TOM bridge was on literally horizontally when looking down at it from a playing position (so the TOM part was horizontally pointed towards the pickups, not straight up and down). it wasnt a defect it was straight up a ruined guitar.
how is this even an argument

Do you want your guitar to feel and sound as good as possible? go with the gibson

do you like shiney things? go with the epiphone
Capitalization is the difference between "I helped my Uncle Jack off the horse" and "i helped my uncle jack off the horse"
Quote by stepchildusmc
either way your gonna need a big bucket... how you set it under the horse is up to you.
from the studios ive played lately, the quality is pretty top notch. i know they had their issues before but i feel like they've stepped it up a bit
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
from the studios ive played lately, the quality is pretty top notch. i know they had their issues before but i feel like they've stepped it up a bit
Definitely. Three or four years ago, buying a Studio was a bit of a gamble. This last year and a half though, I've not seen a single dodgy one crop up.
Quote by sk8board3r

yea, I still changed out pots, electronics, pu's, toggle switch on my epi lp custom. it has taken me a while but i really like it now compared to my gibson lp standard.

edit: what i mean was that when i first did the upgrades, i didnt feel is was anywhere close to my gibson, but after some set up changes (action, truss adj) it is comparible to my much more expensive gibson
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Mar 17, 2012,
Quote by jimicrackcorn

I've owned and played some high end Epiphone's. They're good, but just not nearly as good as a Gibson.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by sk8board3r
Ive owned an epi LP custom and it was a great guitar, you'll save yourself a few bucks, and if you feel like it, you can put that extra money into upgrading the pups and/or hardware, straplocks, new nut, whatever and you'll end up with a guitar that maybe has a cheaper wood (really wouldn't make a huge difference anyway) but probably come out the better guitar

SHUT the fukk up..... an epiphone doesnt even come close to a gibson, even with your stupid ass modifications... the wood makes a HUGE difference..your just kissing ass to epiphone because you cant afford a gibson. And this is coming from a guy That owns 3 epiphone guitars.

As for the guy buying the guitar: get the gibson...it'll last you longer, sound better, and people will take you more seriously as well......
Quote by thesexiestofall
and people will take you more seriously as well......

Blowing your own horn i see.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by thesexiestofall
SHUT the fukk up..... an epiphone doesnt even come close to a gibson, even with your stupid ass modifications... the wood makes a HUGE difference..your just kissing ass to epiphone because you cant afford a gibson. And this is coming from a guy That owns 3 epiphone guitars.

As for the guy buying the guitar: get the gibson...it'll last you longer, sound better, and people will take you more seriously as well......

I'm guessing you're one of these people who bought a gibson because it said "gibson" on it, right?

Nobody cares. get over it.

Quote by Blompcube
I'm guessing you're one of these people who bought a gibson because it said "gibson" on it, right?

Nobody cares. get over it.

Agreed. I own a Gibson LP studio myself, and yeah it's nice but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Eps.

I've had both crap from them(my first guitar that broke in about 3 months) and actual well made guitars from them. Having seen both extremes, I can personally say that Epiphone makes great guitars on the higher end. Especially if money is an object, at the price point you can't beat it. With the money you save, you can actually afford a decent amp which is going to do a lot more for your sound than playing a Gibson through a shit amp.

I'd buy a high end Ep over a low end Gibson any day, but that's just me.

To those of you saying stupid shit like "people that play Epiphones just can't afford Gibsons" no. The real problem is that you're too egotistical to actually play something for how it sounds, vs the name on the headstock. High end Epiphones are comparable to, especially the low end Gibsons, in tone. At least in my experience.
Last edited by jimicrackcorn at Mar 18, 2012,
Do people buy Epiphones because they want Epiphones or do they buy them because they want a Gibson-ish guitar and can't afford an actual Gibson?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Page 1 of 2