Page 1 of 2
I know almost everyone knows this, but I've always been the person to not change strings unless it breaks or I know it's about time to do it; but my idea of 'time to do it' was a very long time. I changed my strings anywhere from 6-12 months after it's setting, since I almost never had a string break on me. I just changed strings of 8 months and holy freakin' hell.

My sweeps are bright and almost if not flawless sounding, my harmonics are lush, and my chords sound absolutely ****ing amazing. I can't even begin to describe how happy I am. But yeah, for those of you that never change your strings like I do, do it. Remove your strings, polish your frets, and CHANGE THEM.

Anyways yeah, just wanted to say that. But yeah, holy ffffffffffffff-
Or you could always use GHS Fast Fret...
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
Yep. I use GHS Fast Fret and still change my strings once a year. I have a couple of guitars with strings that are at least 3 years old. The main thing I use to determine string changes is the string's wearing from rubbing against the frets. I also prefer a slightly warmer tone from my strings, as I play a lot of jazz.

GHS Fast Fret love your strings lonnnng time, GI.
Already do, actually, I'm probably due pretty soon.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
ive noticed that within the last year or two, and ive been changing my strings every 2 to 3 months now. i hate the sound of an old string.

i heard somewhere that eddie van halen HATED new strings, and e has the same set on for almost 20 years. maybe thats why i think van halen sucks hahaha
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
ive noticed that within the last year or two, and ive been changing my strings every 2 to 3 months now. i hate the sound of an old string.

i heard somewhere that eddie van halen HATED new strings, and e has the same set on for almost 20 years. maybe thats why i think van halen sucks hahaha

Wow, thats crazy. With playing so much would'nt at least 1 of the strings broke?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
I don't know what you guys do to only change your strings once a year..but anyway

I actually hate putting on new strings also. That twangy metal tone every time I put new ones drives me up the walls and that's regardless of which strings I use (at the moment EB Super Slinkies)
So much bullshit in this thread
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

You're not my mom!
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
i change my strings almost every month. I should probably move to every two months because I like the feel and sound of old strings.
I took your advice. I just changed my strings. I was going to go to bed, but your words made me realize this was something that needed to be done right now.
Every month.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
The specific reaosn why I don't change strings unless one breaks (which is damn near never) is precisely because I play better with, and prefer the tone of, old, broken-in strings.

Jog on.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
You guys talk about changing strings like you would talk about going to the dentist!

If your playing more than a few hours per week you should be changing every month or two imo.
Strings are cheap especially if you buy more than a few sets at a time.
Quote by MrFlibble
The specific reaosn why I don't change strings unless one breaks (which is damn near never) is precisely because I play better with, and prefer the tone of, old, broken-in strings.

Jog on.

i'm kind of the same.

I like strings once they've lost that annoying metallic harshness, but before they've gone dead sounding - so broken in, but not worn out. I use GHS fast fret to wipe my strings down after i play because this seems to keep the strings in that condition for longer.

I also love flatwounds for that reason - they don't really ever need to be replaced unless they break, because they are already as dull as they are ever going to sound
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Um, retarded thread is retarded.

I either change strings every freaking week, because I'm playing out and care about sound, or I change when they break.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Um, retarded thread is retarded.

Agreed.

Pretty much everyone in these forums knows they have to change their strings from time to time, and the period between changes is going to be different for everyone.

Personally I don't have a set time for strings, I only play a few hours each week and that time is split between my guitars (currently have 15, but am planning to offload 3-4 in the next couple of months) so I change each guitar's strings when they feel like they need it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I also use it as an opportunity to give my fret board a wipe, give the guitar a quick clean/polish and also give it a good once over for any wear or damage - Its quality bonding time if you ask me.
My strings get changed maybe once a year. I hardly play guitar anymore.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Pat_s1t
I change my strings about once every 4-5 months. Elixirs last hella long

Hell yeah Elixirs are awesome lml
Got strings for my birthday yesterday, changing them now on my guitars for the first time since... heck I can't even remember, must be close to a year now. Which I know is very late, from the sound as well. I don't mind strings being a bit faded, but it's coming to a point where I don't much like it anymore.

Speaking of this, I also got http://www.zzounds.com/item--GHSMSFF this thingy. Hadn't heard of it before but it's supposed to keep your strings in that 'new' state for a longer time. Basically a sort of stick that you rub on your strings/frets before and after playing. Anyone have any experience with it?
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
I personally hate the way Fast Fret makes strings feel. I like them to have a little tactile drag; that's essentially like rubbing them in Crisco.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by TheProtoTYPE
Hell yeah Elixirs are awesome lml

Hella pricey too xD But I guess if they last twice as long it already evens out ^^
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
WOW.. I must be old

I'm playing/practicing, just about every day.. I use one guitar (My backup) for serious practice (plugged in, really working on new tunes) Before every show (we play out about every other weekend) I change the strings on the Guitar I'm gigging with, and my back up, which I've been practicing with for 2 weeks... I've got a noodler guitar on a stand in the living room that I pick up while I'm watching tv.. That one gets new string ever 2 weeks or so... My accoustic.. Also in the living room on a stand, gets new strings about once a month or so, unless we're doing accoustic stuff on a gig, then it gets new strings before the gig...

I always keep new strings on my guitars... I couldn't imagine going 6 months or a year between string changes..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Dirk Gently
I personally hate the way Fast Fret makes strings feel. I like them to have a little tactile drag; that's essentially like rubbing them in Crisco.

this is why i only apply fast-fret after playing, and not before - rub it on and then wipe it off with a cloth, so by the time i pick up the guitar again the strings will just feel clean as opposed to slippery.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by sashki
6-12 months? How the hell do they last that long? Mine start to break after about a month.

I don't play my guitars hard. That helps the strings last longer. I also clean my guitars and strings before putting them away for the night. My son goes through strings like there's no tomorrow. Of course, he plays more aggressively than I do and doesn't clean and lube his strings. He gets about a month out of a set of strings, before they break or are too corroded.

Someone else mentioned there was a lot of BS in this thread. No BS about anything I said. I typically go a year between string changes and do have a couple of guitars (a Strat and Tele) with strings that are about 3 or 4 years old - and still as shiny as the day I bought the guitars brand new.
Quote by Blompcube

I also love flatwounds for that reason - they don't really ever need to be replaced unless they break, because they are already as dull as they are ever going to sound
I keep meaning to switch to flatwounds. I love how they feel and sound. Just a pain finding them in the odd gauge mix I'm used to.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I keep meaning to switch to flatwounds. I love how they feel and sound. Just a pain finding them in the odd gauge mix I'm used to.

the reason i haven't fully switched to flats is because i don't like how they sound once the amp gets a little overdriven, because there's just not enough attack for my liking. but for ultra-clean tones, since i tried flatwounds i can't see myself going back to roundwounds any time soon.

Nope, I have 6 guitars that shit would be expensive

I replace them as they break it works fine as I break em fairly regularly.
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Mar 20, 2012,
I pretty much exclusively use 10 gauge Elixers. I feel every time I try something different I'm disappointed. I also rarely change them because I don't care. I just thoroughly cleaned the fretboard on one of my guitars, which has an OFR, so it's a pain. I had a brand new set of strings and didn't feel like cutting them so I put the old ones back on. Yep.
I use 10-46 Elixirs and depending on how much I play, they usually last 4-6 weeks or so. I change them when they start losing their brightness. I honestly don't know how people break strings so much. I haven't broken a string in years.
Page 1 of 2