Sometimes I like to leave my Crybaby depressed to a point that provides a certain guttural sound and just play without rocking the pedal. Although the wah does it well, you have to rock it to switch on then search for the tone - so I think I would like a pedal that dials in that desired (pre-set) tone and then can just switched on with a stomp. From what I know about envelope filters, they wah according to input volume – but do some allow a pre-set steady tone? In other words, I’m looking for the growl without the wah - or even better, an auto wah that does both. Thanks.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Maybe an EQ pedal. I'm not positive, but it might do the trick

Or you could stick something under your wah to hold it in the perfect position (for example, Anthony Raneri from Bayside uses a stack of coins under the heel of his volume pedal to get his ideal "rolled-back volume" tone). Then, you could have it run through a true bypass loop pedal, so you could click it on and off just like a typical stompbox.
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
Last edited by LukeBTH at Mar 16, 2012,
Some Morley pedals have the switch next to the pedal, so you can switch it on and off without changing the angle.
An EQ might work if you do a drastic mid-boost across a fairly narrow range.
Morley PWA
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Keeley Nova Wah. It allows 2 different settings that can each be selected (or deselected) with a stomp. I've used one for a few years now and quite like it.
Various Strats
PRS SC245 (2007)
Fessenden SD-10 pedal steel
Koch Studiotone XL
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25+
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
I have a Lovepedal Superlead...I hate it by itself, I use my RAT to boost it, but that's EXACTLY what it sounds like. If you're looking for that cocked wah sound, Lovepedal Superlead with gain at 2 o' clock. I know that doesn't sound like what the pedal's meant for, but it really does work.
I do exactly this with my PWA. I dial in the perfect setting with my foot for pulling pinch harmonics and then switch it on and off with the switch which sits beside the pedal rather than underneath it. As a bonus the PWA also works quite well with high gain tones as well.
Other Morleys have this arrangement too. What you are looking is one that isn't "switchless".
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Oldmonkeys
There are heaps of pedals that do this, if you search for Cocked Wah you should find a heap but the MXR Q zone springs to mind

Since I'm not really looking for a new wah and I'm pretty sure what I'm looking for is in the Dunlop tone circuit (boosted by a large beaver), the Q zone may be the one to get. Thanks. Although it would be cool to find an auto that cocks because I've wanted to try auto wah.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Some sort of parametric EQ in a pedal might be what you want.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I wonder what it would sound like to chain two wahs together?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
The byoc envelop filter kit I just ordered has a switch for fixed wah like you are looking for.
You can get close with an EQ.
Just alternate the slider settings from max to minimum.
For example:
slider 1 = Max
slider 2 = Minimum
slider 3 = Max
etc.
Or reverse that. Or maybe halfway,.
Experiment.
you could just use the pedal you have and run it through a bypass switch. Leave the wah engaged, and set where you like it, and switch it in or out of your signal path with the bypass switch.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Best thing to do is rehouse the wah. Set the pot where you want it and you can easily stomp the switch to turn it on and off
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by CVLive
The byoc envelop filter kit I just ordered has a switch for fixed wah like you are looking for.

This sounds like a good plan. The byoc pedal I have was built by a pro - the guy thay has a link on the byoc site, but I do have soldering skills so I may try a kit.

The jekekowah (looks like a cool pedal) ad states "a tone that only a wah circuit can provide" and I tend to believe that - so I don't think the EQ suggestions will do it for me but good suggestions anyway.

Re-housing the wah in a smaller enclosure is something that I thought about. Perhaps pick up a used CB, the one with the tone-shaping conrol and have a 2-knob fixed wah. I'm pretty sure I can dial it in better with fingers turning knobs than with my floppy boot on a rocker pedal.
You could make one easily enough if you modify a wah schematic to have a resistor (or no resistor?) in place of the variable, and then have a switch or something.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
You could make one easily enough if you modify a wah schematic to have a resistor (or no resistor?) in place of the variable, and then have a switch or something.

I was thinking of this. Just replace the pot or re-mount it so that it's a separate knob you can turn by hand. The actual circuit board in a wah isn't that big.