Between Digitech Death Metal and Digitech Hot Head distortion pedal which is better?? I am on a less budget so have to choose between them... i generally play thrash metal stuff like Megadeth, metallica,Trivium but i also like Avenged Sevenfold and love that kind of lead oriented metal rather than just heavy distortion riffs.Also i like playing Guns n Roses. Plz help me choose.
Last edited by Abhiroop at Mar 17, 2012,
Knowing your current amp would be nice to know because you might be better off going with a basic od or if you have something like an mg you might just need a new amp all together. The digitech death metal is a pretty bleh pedal so I would not recomend it to anyone. So what's your budget and are you willing to go used?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I am using a laney lx 20. I have heard the Death metal is mostly for heavy distortion riffs which is what i want but will it affect my tone wen playing lead stuff?? Thats why thinking abt the hot head.Wud prefer an orignal one rather than used.
I liked the Hardwire distortion. I only used it once though, and only for like 15 minutes, raping a JCM800 in every way I could think of.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Both are awful. Save up and upgrade your amp first.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Abhiroop
I am using a laney lx 20. I have heard the Death metal is mostly for heavy distortion riffs which is what i want but will it affect my tone wen playing lead stuff?? Thats why thinking abt the hot head.Wud prefer an orignal one rather than used.

The Death Metal is for, wait for it... Death metal! The music you play is not death metal, so don't buy it. The hot head is perhaps more suited, but I don't really think you should buy it. With an amp as crap as yours, I think you should buy a Digitech RP55, and use amp modeling, which can make crappy little practice amps sound half decent.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Eppicurt

Also, this is the best solution...
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Im against digitech in every way possible. I would personally check out almost any other pedal in the price range. Im especially suspicious against things that say "metal" or "death metal" or anything else that gives a genre for the generic tone they are trying to feed you.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Quote by Any7423
Also, this is the best solution...

+1 on this, a pedal in front of this amp will increase distortion but still leave a thin tone
Sorry i'm late, but my walk has got terribly silly today
Quote by 812many
Im against digitech in every way possible. I would personally check out almost any other pedal in the price range. Im especially suspicious against things that say "metal" or "death metal" or anything else that gives a genre for the generic tone they are trying to feed you.

same here
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
Quote by Eppicurt

This. Buy a real Laney. You're trying to polish a turd.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
To get the thread back on track... If you really want to buy a pedal and not upgrade your amp, I would try some OD pedals or higher quality distortion other than digitech. But also, looking back at my other post, that was just my opinion, of course everyones ears are different and its all preference. So if you really like either one of those digitechs, go for it, but I wouldnt feel ok plugging my guitar/amp into one of those.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
How has the thread gone off-track?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
How has the thread gone off-track?

Everyone started telling him to get a new amp instead of suggesting a dist. pedal.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
TS if you look into a new amp that has gain to it then it will probably solve the majority of the problems you're currently having.

But if you haven't checked them out yet look into the Rat pedal. Compared to the pedals you're looking at it has a bit more raunch to it, a bit more on the fuzzy side, but they are a very distinctive tone. I do suggest going to try one first though, I'm not sure if you'll get what you want from it or not, I love my Rat though.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by gerraguitar
TS if you look into a new amp that has gain to it then it will probably solve the majority of the problems you're currently having.

But if you haven't checked them out yet look into the Rat pedal. Compared to the pedals you're looking at it has a bit more raunch to it, a bit more on the fuzzy side, but they are a very distinctive tone. I do suggest going to try one first though, I'm not sure if you'll get what you want from it or not, I love my Rat though.

Rat's are indeed good pedals.. I have heard though that the post '07 pedals are made in china and the IC chip they use has an inferior sound compared to the pre '07's.. never had the never ones to run a comparison..

My Rat is was made in 1987... Been meaning to mod it , because rats have alot of kool sh*t you can do with them but would hate to f*ck up a "vintage" pedal.. Think I might by a new one and .. change the chip and mod the hell out of it

in anycase.. They are good pedals

I believe it will be hard to make that amp sound too much better though.. really hard to make a practice amp sound decent, regardless what type of pedal you use.. just IMO though.. Havent used a 'lil practice amp in like 20+ years
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
I got my Rat modded by JHS, I guess not too many people are fans of JHS but I think it's a solid mod, I could've got the Keeley one but I like to span my pedal mods out. The Rat pedals that you buy now really don't sound the way they used to but they can still be useful, and in any case if you want it to sound better then just send it out to get modded.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
BBE AM-64 is cheaper than those pedals...and better.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
neither of those digitech pedals will really get you there. You need a serious amp pushing air
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com