Gibson Standard or Satin Ebony Special SG vs PRS SE custom 24

I was really set on getting a Satin Ebony SG but then I saw a demo of the
PRS SE custom 24 and I'm really struggling to decide which one to get..I live in the middle East and I'm getting it shipped so I can'sit down and play it.

If I get the custom 24 I think i might pay an extra $200 and get Tremonti pups or maybe a nice pair of duncans or something.I'll get them installed here

If I get the satin Ebony special SG it'll be new
if it's a standard it'll be used.

I'm not a pro,I'm self taught but I want a good guitar for my money.

the Special Satin Ebony SG is $800
a Standard on ebay can be anywhere between $600-$800
and the PRS with tremonti or duncans I like installed is
roughly $800

What's your take?
I'd get the PRS with tremonti pickups. I'm generally a big Gibson fanboy but I don't really like the SG special. It's got a "fake" finish and the pickups are really poor in it. My friend has one and I've tried it a few times and I never really liked it. SG standards are awesome though (same pickups though which is a bit of a problem.

With the PRS tremonti pickups would be awesome but I wouldn't use the tremolo because that's usually where companies save the most money when selling guitars for under $1000 and it'll probably go out of tune if used too much. On that note, I can see by your username and pickup choice that you're a big alter bridge fan. Why don't you get the PRS SE Tremonti and then upgrade the pickups to proper tremonti pickups? I actually like the tremOnti much more than the custom 24.
Gibson anything >>> PRS SE
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I actually very seriously considered a Tremonti but I feel it lacks originality compared to the Custom..the stock pickups arent good apparently and the tuning keys and hardware aren't much better.Atleast that's what most people said.Will I need to replace that stuff on the custom?
I would rather have a used SG Standard over any of your other choices.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by TheDuckMajor
Usually the case, but IMO the SG special sucks.

Because of the satin finish which an absolute preference-thing and the pickups which aren't any worse (if not even better) than the SE's?
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Because of the satin finish which an absolute preference-thing and the pickups which aren't any worse (if not even better) than the SE's?

I have an Epi G-400 satin, and it feals much better to me than the gloss ones.

And I agree the SE p/us are meh at best.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Get a Gibson. People are going to hate but if nothing else at least you'll know that you're buying something made by workers who had good pay and working conditions.
SG Standard is the better of those guitars. Better wood, harware,electronics,construction.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by AlterBridger
Aside from preference..TECHNICALLY which one is better?

I'd say if you want a well constructed guitar made of good tone woods: Gibson.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by AlterBridger
Aside from preference..TECHNICALLY which one is better?
The Gibson, by a country mile. In fact, by a cross-country marathon.

The PRS SE is made in Korea, using sub-par woods and completely standard hardware and electronics. It looks flashy and for people that don't know any better it's a decent guitar - it'll get the job done - but it's got absolutely nothing on a MIA Gibson, which has better wood, electronics and hardware. Not to mention even the basic production Gibsons get more hands-on attention than any production MIK guitar does.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The PRS SE Custom 24 is an awesome guitar at even twice the price. I use one myself and in terms of quality it seriously isn't a poke in the eye away from my Jackson SL3 Soloist which cost just over twice as much. In terms of set up from the factory, the PRS was miles better than the Jackson, which arrived needing some fairly significant adjustments. I'd go further and say that there seems to be a lot of myths about the PRS SE custom 24 based on the comments I've read here. Firstly, the trem unit is actually really good. It holds tuning very well indeed and has a beautifully smooth action. It's better in my opinion than the trem on any Fender I've ever tried. Secondly, the stock pickups are actually pretty good and I speak as a person who changed the pickups on the Jackson to Bare Knuckles because the stock Seymour Duncans simply weren't good enough for me. The JB was decent but very disappointing (worked better in a Pacifica) and the Hotrails were bloody awful. I think a set of Bare Knuckles in the PRS would improve things in terms of articulation but based on my experience of Seymour Duncan, you'd be wasting your money.

Get the Custom 24 and put a set of Bare Knuckles in it and I doubt you'll ever switch to another guitar.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by Doadman
The PRS SE Custom 24 is an awesome guitar at even twice the price. I use one myself and in terms of quality it seriously isn't a poke in the eye away from my Jackson SL3 Soloist which cost just over twice as much. In terms of set up from the factory, the PRS was miles better than the Jackson, which arrived needing some fairly significant adjustments. I'd go further and say that there seems to be a lot of myths about the PRS SE custom 24 based on the comments I've read here. Firstly, the trem unit is actually really good. It holds tuning very well indeed and has a beautifully smooth action. It's better in my opinion than the trem on any Fender I've ever tried. Secondly, the stock pickups are actually pretty good and I speak as a person who changed the pickups on the Jackson to Bare Knuckles because the stock Seymour Duncans simply weren't good enough for me. The JB was decent but very disappointing (worked better in a Pacifica) and the Hotrails were bloody awful. I think a set of Bare Knuckles in the PRS would improve things in terms of articulation but based on my experience of Seymour Duncan, you'd be wasting your money.

Get the Custom 24 and put a set of Bare Knuckles in it and I doubt you'll ever switch to another guitar.

Or he could get an SG Standard and put in bare knuckles/tremonti pups and get an even better sound.
While it's true that Bare Knuckle pups would improve the SG Standard, I don't think it will give him a better sound and it will certainly give him less guitar for the money. I would never dispute that the SG Standard is a good guitar, as virtually all Gibsons are but equally, it would be a fool who suggests that PRS are anything other than good. Obviously it's down to personal preference but I'd go for the PRS because:

1) I prefer the looks
2) It has a good trem
3) It has 24 frets
4) In my experience it's more versatile
5) It's not neck-heavy

Of course, the real mistake that most people make is getting a good guitar and then putting the wrong pups in it. In my experience, too many players merely go for whatever a particular name is using even if it's not suitable for their rig. You may like Tremonti's tone but getting the same pups won't get you that tone and certainly won't get you there if you put them in the wrong guitar. When choosing pups, you need to consider:

A) Style of guitar
B) Body wood
C) Neck wood
D) Construction
E) Bridge
F) Amp
G) Pedals
H) Tone you're after

I can tell you that if you go for an SG, either go for low powered pickups or high powered ones. Either of those will be a reasonable start but mid-powered pickups rarely work in an SG. To determine anything beyond that for either guitar will depend on answers to all the variables listed above.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
I have a USA PRS and it is one of the best made/sounding guitars I have ever played. And while the SE PRS line is a good value, They are not as well made as a USA PRS or a Gibson. I know I have owend a SE custom 24 and a Gibson LP studio, and the Studio was a much better guitar.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
While it's true that Bare Knuckle pups would improve the SG Standard, I don't think it will give him a better sound and it will certainly give him less guitar for the money. I would never dispute that the SG Standard is a good guitar, as virtually all Gibsons are but equally, it would be a fool who suggests that PRS are anything other than good. Obviously it's down to personal preference but I'd go for the PRS because:

1) I prefer the looks
2) It has a good trem
3) It has 24 frets
4) In my experience it's more versatile
5) It's not neck-heavy

Of course, the real mistake that most people make is getting a good guitar and then putting the wrong pups in it. In my experience, too many players merely go for whatever a particular name is using even if it's not suitable for their rig. You may like Tremonti's tone but getting the same pups won't get you that tone and certainly won't get you there if you put them in the wrong guitar. When choosing pups, you need to consider:

A) Style of guitar
B) Body wood
C) Neck wood
D) Construction
E) Bridge
F) Amp
G) Pedals
H) Tone you're after

I can tell you that if you go for an SG, either go for low powered pickups or high powered ones. Either of those will be a reasonable start but mid-powered pickups rarely work in an SG. To determine anything beyond that for either guitar will depend on answers to all the variables listed above.

You have an anniversary versio SE custom 24..isn't that slightly different from the average Custom 24? They retail for $2000+ on EBay ya know :&
PRS CE22/24 2nd hand.

Problem solved.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by AlterBridger
You have an anniversary versio SE custom 24..isn't that slightly different from the average Custom 24? They retail for $2000+ on EBay ya know :&

I think you're mixing it up with the USA 25th Anniversary Edition. The SE version is much cheaper. Here in England they retailed at a similar level to the normal SE Custom 24.

I repeat that I know the Gibsons are good but here in England the SE Custom 24 retails at £525 while the SG Special (Satin Ebony) is £649 and the SG Standard is £1000. I just don't see the extra in them I'm afraid. I don't see the quality of the SG Special as anything superior to the PRS and you end up with less guitar for £125 extra. You could get a set of DiMarzios in the PRS if you wanted them for the same price as the Special and it would be a more complete guitar. Personally I'd get the PRS and spend £200 on Bare Knuckles and you'd end up with an awesome guitar that I'd MUCH prefer to even an SG Standard and still be saving £275. OK, I know it's personal preference and many may disagree with me but that's what I'd do without a moments hesitation.
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
BTW the standard doesn't have the same pickups as the special as someone said earlier.

I already know that
The pickups of the Standard and Special pretty much only differ in terms of output.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz