It's a recommend a guitar thread. But with a twist. Basically my school needs new guitars and I'm trying to find an electric guitar under £250 that suits most people. So far I'm looking at a Yamaha Pacifica 112VM http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=09090915035728
with a maple neck. I chose maple because most people I know prefer maple. If you prefer rosewood reply please If you could tell me what you look for in a guitar (bearing in mind my budget is around £250 per guitar) that would be great.
]
I prefer rosewood even though I play a 72' Telecaster deluxe with maple fretboard.
and I need a bridge humbucker.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
I prefer rosewood or ebony.

And bridge humbucker is good on a school guitar.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Yeah all maple is a good idea. I would honestly get two different necks, so the students can choose which they like more.

C shaped neck, and a flat D would be cool. So maybe look into Ibanez Gio RGs?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Whats "vintage style vibratos" in the advertisement for it? I have been playing for years and never seen a guitar with "vintage style vibrato."
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Something like a strat with a humbucker in bridge seems like a pretty good all around guitar.. Its a pretty versatile guitar, and the neck typically isn't very fat nor very thin.

The Yamaha if available with a humbucker in bridge seems like a good choice..
Current gear:
Fender Road Worn 60's Strat
Hohner SE35
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
We used to use Pacificas at my old Sixth Form. They work alright.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I'll try to modify them and set them up before they're 'released'. I'm also looking at a classic vibe telecaster and an epiphone SG G400 as. The Yamaha does have a bridge humbucker,I remember someone asking about that.
Would that be enough versatility? It's not a case of one type of guitar, I'm trying to suit most people hence three different guitars. No les Paul's, because of the fragile headstock.
]
Last edited by falcon1439 at Mar 17, 2012,
If you rule out LP's for headstock problems an SG wouldn't be much different would it?

The Classic Vibes are a great choice.. But i'd go for the yamaha with humbucker in bridge since versatility is a high priority..

To cover everything, the best would probably be to get 1x fender style guitar,strat/tele 1x gibson style LP/SG and 1x ibanez style guitar.. Then you'd have it all covered..
Current gear:
Fender Road Worn 60's Strat
Hohner SE35
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Definitely versatile enough.

Strat, tele, and an almost Les Paul. The holy trinity.

Yeah,I wish I had the same budget as my school... This is just spare change to them. I'm not choosing guitars with locking tremelos,a cheap whammy is a bitch.
]
Amps are also needed. Hit me with decent,versatile solid state amps under 20 watts.
]
For a versatile and good-priced guitar I'd forever recommend the Yamaha Pacifica 112. Bridge humbucker and 2 singles. This was my first guitar and served me well for 3 years, at which point it was still good enough to sell on. Pretty standard and can cover most sounds, replicates a Fender Strat. When I bought it, it cost around 120-150 quid, very reasonably priced.

As for amps, at my old school the standard amps lying around ranged from 15W to 20W I think, that's definitely all that's needed for practise. Probably just go for some Yamaha amps for something trustworthy.
Now I'm walking the empty solemn streets
Casting down the shadows of my defeat
You look at me as if I'm throwing my life away
Well I'll tell you now, I'm not a fucking hyperbole.

Honey
Last edited by Fenhemn at Mar 17, 2012,
Look at Vintage guitars since your in the UK. Very good guitars for the money. From what I understand they are much nicer than comprable Epiphones an Squiers.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Pacifica is a good choice for the guitar, even better if you can find someone who locks down the tremolo.
And for the amp I'd say get something like a Line 6 Flextone. Has quite a lot of wattage, but if you have school performances you will need some wattage to be heard over the drummer.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
The Pacifica is a good choice for the guitar, even better if you can find someone who locks down the tremolo.
And for the amp I'd say get something like a Line 6 Flextone. Has quite a lot of wattage, but if you have school performances you will need some wattage to be heard over the drummer.

We never have school performances
The low wattage is because people trying to practice flutes with a 150 watt distorted amp right behind them doesn't go down well
]
Back when I was in middle school I believe they had an Epiphone SG, dont remember if it was G310 or G400 though. It worked quite nicely.

I love rosewood and maple equally. Ebony still the best, though :p
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by 812many
Whats "vintage style vibratos" in the advertisement for it? I have been playing for years and never seen a guitar with "vintage style vibrato."

Quote by ChucklesMginty
It basically means a non-locking strat style bridge.

Yep... the 6 screw variety with standard bent metal saddles is called the "Vintage" model on the Fender Strats... that design has been around for years... takes a little setup know how to make one stay in tune, but lots less moving parts than a F.R.
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I prefer ebony or rosewood myself. I would get a variety of guitars if you're getting alot for your school. Some Squire Strats and Tellys, Epiphone SG and Les Pauls and the Ibanez RG gio series would all be great guitars. Don't let the headstock angle on the LP's put you off, they aren't fragile like people think, some folks just like to break stuff....
My Gear:

Jackson RR3 Pro
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender CD140 Acoustic/Electric
Line 5 HD500 effects unit
Marshall MA100

"Grunge was invented for people who can't play solos"