Hi.

I'm going to buy a recording mic, and will almost only record acoustic guitar.

The only requirements are that it does have to work on a Macbook with Ableton (or at least I will need to be able to connect it to the Macbook and then record using some program), and it can't be too expensive.

I will probably buy it from Thomann. So does anyone know a good mic for acoustic guitar recording from there? http://www.thomann.de/gb/microphones1.html
Last edited by Canucks_ at Mar 24, 2012,
shure SM57 is a great all around instrument mic. Good for miking guitar cabs, acoustics... pretty much anything. I've only personally used it for a cab mic, but it will work for just about anything. Especially if there's gonna be drums, or other noise. The 57 has good noise rejection off axis, so it should only pick up the guitar, and nothing else.

There may be better mics for an acoustic though, so maybe someone with more experience with that can weigh in. I really don't play acoustic.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
57's are great. If you put one pointed at the 12th fret and another one pointed at the body kinda behind the bridge, that should get you a pretty good sound when combined.
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Quote by jpatan
shure SM57 is a great all around instrument mic. Good for miking guitar cabs, acoustics... pretty much anything. I've only personally used it for a cab mic, but it will work for just about anything. Especially if there's gonna be drums, or other noise. The 57 has good noise rejection off axis, so it should only pick up the guitar, and nothing else.

There may be better mics for an acoustic though, so maybe someone with more experience with that can weigh in. I really don't play acoustic.

Not really, the SM57 is a horrible acoustic mic.

TS, are you using an interface? Condenser mics are going to be best for acoustic - Do not get a dynamic mic.

What's your budget? Kinda hard to make a suggestion when I could easily tell you to get something that cost 1000 Euro or more, but your budget is only at 100 Euro.

P.S. Moved to correct forum.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Not really, the SM57 is a horrible acoustic mic.

TS, are you using an interface? Condenser mics are going to be best for acoustic - Do not get a dynamic mic.

What's your budget? Kinda hard to make a suggestion when I could easily tell you to get something that cost 1000 Euro or more, but your budget is only at 100 Euro.

P.S. Moved to correct forum.

My budget is about 50-70 Euro.
Quote by Canucks_
Looks pretty nice. Does it work with Ableton live?

How about this one:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_b5_kleinmembranmikro.htm

If it works with your operating system, it should work with whatever software you're using.

You still haven't told us if you have an interface already or not. That Behringer mic you've linked is useless without one, as you need phantom power to run it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If it works with your operating system, it should work with whatever software you're using.

You still haven't told us if you have an interface already or not. That Behringer mic you've linked is useless without one, as you need phantom power to run it.

No, I have no interface. Then I guess the USB mic will work good for me.

What's the positives with a interface?
I bought the t.bone SC440 USB, which I plug directly trought USB. But it does sound quite aweful actually. You can hear "sounds" in the background, hard to explain, but I think you know what I mean.

Is it suppose to be like that?
Quote by Canucks_
I bought the t.bone SC440 USB, which I plug directly trought USB. But it does sound quite aweful actually. You can hear "sounds" in the background, hard to explain, but I think you know what I mean.

Not really?

Is it picking up sound in the room and others? If so, welcome to the world of condenser mics
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Canucks_

Awful? You need to make a recording and upload it, we'll see what's wrong.

Condenser mics are very sensitive and pick up even the smallest sounds, that's the whole point.

Ignore all the crap about using a USB mic, they're got a slightly higher amount of noise compared to using a dedicated interface but frankly the quality is still more than good enough. I've recorded tons of stuff with a cheap USB mic like yours and the bands have always been impressed with the quality.