Where are some good places to look for band members? I'm 16 and it seems everywhere i look you must be 18+ to audition etc.. and whilst i'm currently in two bands they both end up getting high or something dumb instead of practicing. Just today I was meant to practice with a friend of mine who cancelled because 'he couldn't have people around today', to which I find out he's just getting high instead which is rather irritating. All of my friends who play instruments are like this and when looking online at ads in my area it seems nobody wants someone who 16 or a guitarist etc.. any advice?
Hey there.
get better freinds honestly i dont mid people getting high but if thats all the do they ed up being boring people

now for looking for muscicians
if theres any shows around i find that alof of people there can play an instrument try to find those that dont get high and viola
new band
Try not mentioning your actual age until you're specifically asked for it (in an online ad). I've missed a couple spots in bands cause of my age in the past. People unfortunatley don't always equate youth with hardwork and talent in music.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Why don't you get high with them?
The main reason they make it over 18's is because the band might want to preform at over 18 venues such as bar's and places children aren't allowed, famous example of this was Black Tide got kicked out of some Jagamister(?) festival because they were underage lol
Not I give a shiz about that pop metal band but anyway.
Like, getting high is cool.
Just flow with it man. Not that I'm encouraging you to take harmful drugs like tobacco and cocaine and meth and whatnot but weed's fine.
METAL!
Quote by Ultraussie
The main reason they make it over 18's is because the band might want to preform at over 18 venues such as bar's and places children aren't allowed

Exactly right. I wouldn't have a person under 18 in any of my bands, I'd have to turn down 90% of the gigs I was offered. Additionally I expect my bandmates to have their own transport (driver's license and at least access to a car).

It probably seems like the end of the world because everything seems like that when you're a teenager, but 18 isn't far away. Just work on your chops and jam with people your own age until then.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I see that TS is from England - Look up JoinMyBand, I've used it several times from Leicestershire, and it's been very useful for me, to find other players interested in the same stuff as me.

http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/
If the link's against the rules or something, just give me a heads up and I'll get rid of it
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by Ultraussie
The main reason they make it over 18's is because the band might want to preform at over 18 venues such as bar's and places children aren't allowed, famous example of this was Black Tide got kicked out of some Jagamister(?) festival because they were underage lol
Just flow with it man. Not that I'm encouraging you to take harmful drugs like tobacco and cocaine and meth and whatnot but weed's fine.

Getting high is not cool. If I've ever been in a band with addicts, I either leave or kick them out, an absolutely disgusting addiction, but it really does depend on the genre you're playing. I'm Prog Metal/Power Metal/Symphonic Metal, so you need to be in the right state of mind at all times, in stuff like Punk and Death or Alternative, I'd imagine the whole 'No one drink/smoke/do drugs before the show' thing isn't enforced as much, I've no idea what style I play, but joinmyband is a bloody good shout, I'd give that a bash, you will need to meet new people.
Quote by Ultraussie

It's not the fact that they get high, I mean I do too occasionally but when I wanna practice I want to get something done instead of getting out of my face after 20 minutes and doing nothing which is what usually happens with these guys.
I'm not looking for a drug debate i'm looking for some creative ways to look for band members when you are under 18. For all I care it could be anything it's not the fact it's weed it's the fact they're lazy.
Hey there.
^^^ Once you engrain yourself in the live scene a bit more, recreational drug use is quite widespread, and something you'll learn to tolerate. However if it is an issue which adversely affects the band, those people will be kicked out quite quickly. It is more common for a person to be kicked out due to getting super drunk every time they play live though, rather than any other drug. A lot of musos will have a jay every now and then before a gig or between sets, and they play just fine.

I'm not promoting drug use by any means, I prefer to keep completely straight during gigs, I haven't even drunk during one for over 2 years now. However the drug use should be judged by its effect on the music (if any) rather than its mere presence.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ Once you engrain yourself in the live scene a bit more, recreational drug use is quite widespread, and something you'll learn to tolerate. However if it is an issue which adversely affects the band, those people will be kicked out quite quickly. It is more common for a person to be kicked out due to getting super drunk every time they play live though, rather than any other drug. A lot of musos will have a jay every now and then before a gig or between sets, and they play just fine.

I'm not promoting drug use by any means, I prefer to keep completely straight during gigs, I haven't even drunk during one for over 2 years now. However the drug use should be judged by its effect on the music (if any) rather than its mere presence.

I'm not against the whole drug thing it's more that instead of practicing as arranged they'll pick up some weed and not turn up etc.. I guess I just need better bandmates.
Hey there.
Yeah my post was meant to go above yours but meh.

Yes in your case the drugs are coming before the music, so those members would be kicked.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB

The thing is, in all these genres, it's common practice to play to a click due to time signature changes, and use of backing tracks, so you can't afford a single error, recreational drug use is widespread, I can't deny it, however, I've seen drugs ruin many good musicians, and it's ruined more good people, so I'm not one to take a risk if I'm putting my own time into composing and stuff. That said, if I was just there as a hired gun, I'd be alright with them turning up half dead if they still had money to pay my wages, so I reckon it depends on whether you want to make a band, or join a band.
Last edited by CelestialGuitar at Mar 18, 2012,
In my area, being under 18 isn't such a big deal with playing in the clubs as many clubs are all ages. Specific shows might not be but thats neither here nor there. Most of the bands I've met online look for people that are looking for21 and over because of the maturity level and the drinking age. I would try to compile a demo reel of sorts specifically for those people to listen to so that they can see that your age doesn't matter. The few times my age was a problem were blotted out when others heard my demo reel.
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ Once you engrain yourself in the live scene a bit more, recreational drug use is quite widespread, and something you'll learn to tolerate

You don't have to.... I didn't tolerate it.. didn't want it.. and didn't put up with it if you were in my band either during a gig, or during rehearsal... of course during that time, when I played guitar, I was going to work... we were getting paid, and I wanted to offer a quality product to our customer... couldn't do that if they were all stoned out of their minds...

If I'm not making a living at it... whats the point of practice, or jamming if no ones in the same key and it sounds like shit?

JMO
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by sonny bb
Try not mentioning your actual age until you're specifically asked for it (in an online ad). I've missed a couple spots in bands cause of my age in the past. People unfortunatley don't always equate youth with hardwork and talent in music.

If you did this, your just going to get turned down later rather than sooner. Again, age isn't a personal issue against the individual, it's the fact that the band can't get most gigs if there are people under 18 or even 21 in some places in the states.
^^^ So you can say with conviction that you never played a gig where a banmate has been anything less than sober?

Is it possible that they were playing just fine, and you were just unaware of their mental state at the time?
Soundcloud
Quote by Papabear505
You don't have to.... I didn't tolerate it.. didn't want it.. and didn't put up with it if you were in my band either during a gig, or during rehearsal... of course during that time, when I played guitar, I was going to work... we were getting paid, and I wanted to offer a quality product to our customer... couldn't do that if they were all stoned out of their minds...

If I'm not making a living at it... whats the point of practice, or jamming if no ones in the same key and it sounds like shit?

JMO

it seems like you're assuming that using a drug means they are going to use to excess before a show, which in my experience doesn't happen too often when working with serious musicians. it's usually less than what they normally would do on their own time.

also you can make the focus more like my band, if you played well and the audience was satisfied then you can smoke up afterward... basically using it as a reward for a job well done, rather than getting to messed up for a show.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
it seems like you're assuming that using a drug means they are going to use to excess before a show, which in my experience doesn't happen too often when working with serious musicians. it's usually less than what they normally would do on their own time.

also you can make the focus more like my band, if you played well and the audience was satisfied then you can smoke up afterward... basically using it as a reward for a job well done, rather than getting to messed up for a show.

If you need to promise yourself a drug to focus, you have a kind of addiction, and in my opinion, addiction can be a huge weakness. I'm not happy with sharing my wages with a coworker if they're gonna use the money to get high, especially if I wrote the song, down to the part they're playing, though you have your opinion and I have mine, and we're neither wrong or right. I'd go on the more safe side and not get involved with it, I once met a guy who took so much cannabis he forgot how to play guitar, and while he was an utter moron, I'd never so much as risk it with a band member.
Quote by CelestialGuitar
If you need to promise yourself a drug to focus, you have a kind of addiction, and in my opinion, addiction can be a huge weakness. I'm not happy with sharing my wages with a coworker if they're gonna use the money to get high, especially if I wrote the song, down to the part they're playing, though you have your opinion and I have mine, and we're neither wrong or right. I'd go on the more safe side and not get involved with it, I once met a guy who took so much cannabis he forgot how to play guitar, and while he was an utter moron, I'd never so much as risk it with a band member.

not really bro, its a reward. its not a promise, its 'I can have some if I do well', and I'm honest with myself about it man (also it really isn't every time I play a gig just when I might have something I want to do...). in fact there have been many times I've said no because I felt I didn't do good enough.

as for the person you speak of, he clearly doesn't care about playing as much as he cares about weed. I would not allow him in a band with me if he cant stay sober enough to play. I would give him a chance but as soon as he messed up I would kick him out as well. personally I feel you should wait till after a show/ any performance to take anything.

but I can definately see your side, I just want to clear up that I never use as a crutch and I don't really ever do it that often.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.