Page 1 of 2
I'm really not sure whether I'd like to start getting into buying cds. I know that there's excitement in buying a physical copy of the cd, but I'm not sure that there's much of a point to spending money on something that I could listen to on my iPhone using Spotify Premium. I've read that cds have better sound quality, but when I asked people on here, most of them said that they couldn't really tell a difference. Just wondering what you guys thought.
Nope.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
I do think they sound better and I love having the physical copies.

I personally love buying albums I enjoy.
I wouldn't shit on anyone that didn't buy physical albums, though.
I like having more than a digital copy that could get destroyed if something happens to my hard drive, thanks.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
For me, there's a certain satisfaction that comes with going out and actually buying something tangible. I don't get that feeling when I stream or download.

I guess I also like being able to listen to CDs in my car, too.
better off buying vinyls if you can tbh. i buy both though, i like having something physical in my psosession forever and i enjoy the actula act of goinginto a big record store and seeing all the music and going through it and just getting whatever looks interesting :3
With a good music player and good headphones you can tell the difference.
Also the last two cds I bought had some bitchin album art and came with posters with more artwork (one was signed by the band as I had pre-ordered it).
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Not when there's vinyl around.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by necrosis1193
I like having more than a digital copy that could get destroyed if something happens to my hard drive, thanks.

This. I also like using CD players and they're nice for the car.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I like the feeling of knowing I supported the band I bought the album from. Even if people argue that bands don't make much money from album sales, it still makes the band look good the more sales they get. The lyric books, better sound quality, and little pictures are fun bonuses. And if something were to happen to my laptop, I have a good majority of my music on cd's.
I buy all my albums, except for when I am occasionally given an iTunes gift card (which I've only ever had 2) and with that I will buy a really old album that may be out of print, but 97% of my collection is physical albums. It's nice being able to get in the car and just put in a CD, not having to worry about hooking up an iPod and if its charged and all that jazz. I would encourage buying physical albums, but it's not life or death if you digitally download.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Quote by necrosis1193

You can back up your music on multiple hard drives. Also, CD's can get scratched and broken easier than hard drives.
Yep.
There really is a clear difference between something you've ripped to itunes and the original master being played off a hi-fi system.
I listen to the majority of my music on players or on my laptop, but I'll buy the CDs that I'm a big fan of. It's just...a better feeling.
My HD crashed a few months ago and I lost all my music, but since then I've bought quite a few CDs. Sure it's not as easy to switch between different tracks from different albums, but the sound quality is definitely higher, but I like having a physical copy and some albums have fantastic artwork. I didn't buy CDs until 3 years ago, but now I have about 60 of my favourite albums and love each of them.
I think there's a big difference in sound quality between mp3 and CD's (wav). I recently bought Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn and put it on with some headphones and was instantly immersed.

I think the format and the equipment used to hear it make all the difference.

Usually I'm listening to my ipod with ear buds, but when I heard the Piper CD with big headphones it was a HUGE difference.
Guitars:
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Gretsch G5120
1973 Japanese Les Paul

Amp:
Vox AC30C2

Effects:
MJM Brit Bender MKII tonebender clone
Boss Blues-Driver
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Echorec
You can rip the CD at a higher bitrate so it sounds better. Normally online services will only give you an MP3 version at 128-180kbps and there's a noticeable difference if you're wearing decent headphones. iTunes downloads give you 256kbps and it's very difficult to tell the difference between that and 320. However, iTunes sucks shit so I don't really have any other alternative besides pirating to get a higher bitrate if I do online downloads, but that's kind of a crapshoot with bad rips that have distortion all over the files.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I buy CDs. Like having the physical copy and CDs are what I listen to in my truck.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
There's no point in doing anything that doesn't contribute to your survival, so there's that. I can also tell the difference between a 192 kbps MP3 and a FLAC file, or the CD. However, I'd be lying if I could tell you I heard a massive difference in smaller jumps in quality.

I buy a CD because I like having a physical copy of an album I know I'll listen to time and time again, for years and years. I tend to download music in the best quality I can find, because I find this is a much better preview or sampling than listening to it on youtube, paying for a crappy MP3 that is useless as soon as I buy the album, or Spotify.

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I honestly think that if you're streaming an MP3 through ear buds or your iPod speakers, you're listening to music 'wrong' and missing out.
So if I'm going to listen to a cd using headphones, would I just use any old cd player, or would a computer with headphones plugged in work fine?
I like going it to small mom and pop record stores and buying stuff that looks cool. Yesterday I bought 8 bargain bin cds, never heard of any of the bands, cost me $11.50. Ended up with an awesome death metal album, some cool ambient stuff and a promo from a cool local rock band. As much as cds are a pain and get scratched I love having a physical copy. Record stores are such a cool environment too.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
I buy CDs because I actually get a physical CD with artwork and a little booklet with lyrics and whatnot along with the music, for the same price as a digital purchase.

It's ridiculous that companies like apple charge so much for just a digital sale of a song/album, I can find 95% of the music I buy cheaper on amazon, physical CD and all. The only downside is that I have to wait for it to arrive, and I can't get it instantly, but until then I can simply listen to it at spotify, so it's no big deal.

If I was to buy stuff from iTunes, they would have to cut the prices significantly first, they should subtract the manufacturing costs and shipping to stores.
i like cds having the dsk just makesyou feeel like you bought something
the only digital downloads i have now are those for the cds i couldnt find and i downloaded of off torrents but as soon as i find the cd and have the money im buying that cd
I need to find a local recordstore with cheaper CD's. I got most of mine new from bestbuy, and the ones I couldn't from amazon. There is a store nearby that sells CD's even though they mainly deal with vintage video games, but they don't have anything I'd want to listen to
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Only lesbians and homosexuals buy MP3s

A lesbian is homosexual.

ho·mo·sex·u·al
adj.
Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.
n. Usage Problem
A homosexual person; a gay man or a lesbian.

Just for your future reference

[
I really, really like it when CDs come with thick booklets. :3

When I used to buy cassettes, I always used to look at the case from the top to see if it had a thick booklet.
I pirate and buy vinyl, what format you like best is a matter of personal choice is you ask me, all sounds the same depending on what you play it on.
If the cd comes with a bonus I buy the cd, otherwise I download it
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Not really, the quality is probably going to be marginally better and you won't have to deal with ****ed up tags that you do pirating but other than that there ain't much to it.
Quote by Ultra Purple
So if I'm going to listen to a cd using headphones, would I just use any old cd player, or would a computer with headphones plugged in work fine?

You're not very bright are you
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
I just started buying CD's and vinlys. Just feels better then downloading.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I buy CDs. I feel like I'm wasting money when I purchase a digital copy. Also, I rest easy knowing that I have a backup of my songs.
Quote by josh999x
I pirate and buy vinyl, what format you like best is a matter of personal choice is you ask me, all sounds the same depending on what you play it on.
Your future:

ggg1 ggg3

to me it feels better and i just tend to enjoy the album more, i feel more submerged in the song when its better quality
Singular: Vinyl
Plural: Vinyl (no *s*)

Just a friendly reminder to everyone. :-)
I love owning CDs
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Page 1 of 2