So how would I go about acquiring a saturated, thick, creamy clean tone, similar to John Mayer's? I have a SSS Fender Strat with Dragonfire Texas Blues PU, and a Bugera V22. What pickups would be best (I played a classic series 50's strat and loved the pickups in that, if anyone knows of similar pickups) such as underwound vintage voiced pickups, and if there is a way to make my amp sound really thick and creamy.
he uses his own signature fender pickups known as the big dippers. Probobly on the neck + middle for his clean tone. try boosting your mid a bit
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I know a pretty common way to do that is play your amp crystal clean and thicken it up with a tubescreamer or something similar. Not sure how john specifically does it.
I've tried adding a TS9 to a super clean amp on the middle and neck postion, but it isn't really clean, it kind of distorts and still isn't really what I am looking for. I've looked at the big dipper pickups before, and they are quite expensive (but if it's what it takes, it's worth it). What settings on the Tube screamer would be best for just thickening up your tone and not adding distortion or anything? Would an MXR micro amp work for what I need? Do I need a new amp? The Marshall Class 5 combo worked real well for his sound, but I need something with a bit more power to get over my (loud) drummer un-mic'd during our practice, and I was using John's sig strat so that might have been most of what I was hearing.
Last edited by DrewMeyer at Mar 17, 2012,
This may be a dumb question, but have you tried cranking your amp? Part of that sound is just a super loud vintage-ish amp. I think you could get pretty close with your amp...just loud. haha.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
This may be a dumb question, but have you tried cranking your amp? Part of that sound is just a super loud vintage-ish amp. I think you could get pretty close with your amp...just loud. haha.

Sometimes, but for the most part my amp is way too loud to crank for any practical use, so I am trying to find a way to attain the sound at more reasonable volumes. By the way, it still didn't entirely give me the sound I'm looking for. I also wasn't using my own guitar, but it was close enough.
Well in my opinion the most important part of that kind of tone, other than the amp itself, is having it loud. So unfortunately I think that means you'll have to settle for a less than ideal tone while at home. Then when jamming you can crank it up and get all that sweetness. However, the mxr micro amp you mentioned may get you close. I would definitely try one out. Can't hurt.
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
Well in my opinion the most important part of that kind of tone, other than the amp itself, is having it loud. So unfortunately I think that means you'll have to settle for a less than ideal tone while at home. Then when jamming you can crank it up and get all that sweetness. However, the mxr micro amp you mentioned may get you close. I would definitely try one out. Can't hurt.

Awesome. Any more advice on pickups? Or the Marshall Class 5? Or any other amp in the similar price range ($300-$500)?
have you tried the tubescreamer thing with the gain on zero (also play lightly)? another option might be a compressor pedal. or else just turn it up till you're just at the edge of breakup, as IG44 said.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
have you tried the tubescreamer thing with the gain on zero (also play lightly)? another option might be a compressor pedal. or else just turn it up till you're just at the edge of breakup, as IG44 said.

Ooh, a compressor sounds nice. Which one would work best for JM tone? I'll try the tubescreamer with zero gain and see what that is like.
the TS9 is a distortion pedal, surely a boost pedal would be more suitable? If you want to nail Mayer's tone that accurately, you're going to need to spend thousands. Try a power attenuator for the volume problem.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
the TS9 is a distortion pedal, surely a boost pedal would be more suitable? If you want to nail Mayer's tone that accurately, you're going to need to spend thousands. Try a power attenuator for the volume problem.

Yeah, I think a boost will help a lot. Any more suggestions, on pickups maybe?
a ts with the drive at 0 and a boost aren't going to be a million miles apart. since you already have the ts, try it with the gain at 0 first.

no idea what compressor you'd use for mayer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe some vintage noiseless pups? Mayer likes them weak.
Gear:

Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Just tried the gain at zero, and it sounds WONDERFUL! Adds the saturation and some tube punch, and gets rid of some of the brightness. I'll still look into a compressor (if anyone knows of a good one) and pickups, though.
Quote by ProphetToJables
Maybe some vintage noiseless pups? Mayer likes them weak.

That's why I was wondering what kind of pickups were in the 50s classic strat, those were weak and awesome sounding. Anyways, I find the vintage noiseless to not retain that single coil sound enough.
Quote by DrewMeyer
Just tried the gain at zero, and it sounds WONDERFUL! Adds the saturation and some tube punch, and gets rid of some of the brightness. I'll still look into a compressor (if anyone knows of a good one) and pickups, though.

there you go

any low output pickups (more or less) should work if that's what you like. obviously do a little more research to see what type of ones mayer likes.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The problem with using an unmodded tubescreamer as a boost is that it will cut your bass - not what you are looking for. Myself, I'd either mod one or perhaps get a decent EQ like the MXR 10 band.
But really, if it works gigging what does it matter if it doesnt quite do it at home? Are we looking at needing mood lighting to masturbate again?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dave_Mc
there you go

any low output pickups (more or less) should work if that's what you like. obviously do a little more research to see what type of ones mayer likes.

Well mayer has his own signature big dipper pickups that can only be acquired (occasionally) on ebay. I am not going for his exact sound anyways, just that same saturated clean, so any vintage voiced underwound pickups will do. Does anyone have experience with Fender 57/62 pickups?
Quote by Cathbard
The problem with using an unmodded tubescreamer as a boost is that it will cut your bass - not what you are looking for. Myself, I'd either mod one or perhaps get a decent EQ like the MXR 10 band.
But really, if it works gigging what does it matter if it doesnt quite do it at home? Are we looking at needing mood lighting to masturbate again?

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Get a 62 style pickup for John mayer's clean sound. Especially less mids, round bass and clear highs.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
Get a 62 style pickup for John mayer's clean sound. Especially less mids, round bass and clear highs.

Any specific make come to mind? Also, how does he get the tone during the solo of "Out of my Mind" from "Where the Light is"? It is a very thick tone with tons of sustain.
he uses a klon with a tube screamer after it. the tube screamer is with gain at zero or slightly turned up.

edit: thats for the gravity song.

and its due to his dumble, 2 rock, fender, AND leslie speaker.
Last edited by Ashe_Mc at Mar 17, 2012,
Quote by DrewMeyer
Any specific make come to mind? Also, how does he get the tone during the solo of "Out of my Mind" from "Where the Light is"? It is a very thick tone with tons of sustain.

lo-fi sample of my new overdrive pedal through my amp.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6231707/20120316%20155414.m4a

thats a strat. i think he used a clean amp barely breaking up, with an overdrive pedal pushing it just a tiny bit, with the distortion being used.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Ashe_Mc
he uses a klon with a tube screamer after it. the tube screamer is with gain at zero or slightly turned up.

edit: thats for the gravity song.

and its due to his dumble, 2 rock, fender, AND leslie speaker.

I have the gain at zero, but I am going to try it at 1 or 2 and see how that sounds. Yeah, I guess a couple thousand dollar amps will definitely be heard to acquire. Thanks for all the help guys, I'm going to get some Fender 57/62 pickups sometime and put those in and get an MXR micro amp and I think I will be set.
I designed it to do the "out of my mind" tone with the strat
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
I designed it to do the "out of my mind" tone with the strat

Sounds good! Any help on compressors? Is the EHX one any good?
i have a V22. i would say keep the mid boost setting OFF and use triode mode. teh gain is far more bluesly. i acutally am trying to tame the gain in pentode by putting a 5751 or a 12ay7 in the v1 slot. it sounds to brash stock. its been pissing me off.

use the NORMAL input, the bright imput attentuates the lows, and wtf would you ever want to do that in a 1x12 combo. a small amp needs the lows.

try using the neck pickup or a mix. an EQ pedal would not hurt. very easy to tweak your sound. i run one in the FX loop.

the biggest factor here to get john mayer tone for cheap is using teh right dirty pedal in the right way. you need a really creamy OD or distortion pedal and you gotta know how to set it up. really i cant point to one, as there are millions.

but relly john is using custom gear and a custom two rock which probably runs 3-5 grand. it sounds a lot like a dumble, and that style of amp is very rare and unique sounding.

...so your neve going to match that tone unless you got about 10 grand. you gotta improvise.

another good musician to emulate is santana, who also has that creamy, ultra saturated, yet clean and defined tone. he also uses teh best gear like PDS guitar and mesa boogies / original dumble amps like SRV.
Quote by ikey_
i have a V22. i would say keep the mid boost setting OFF and use triode mode. teh gain is far more bluesly. i acutally am trying to tame the gain in pentode by putting a 5751 or a 12ay7 in the v1 slot. it sounds to brash stock. its been pissing me off.

use the NORMAL input, the bright imput attentuates the lows, and wtf would you ever want to do that in a 1x12 combo. a small amp needs the lows.

try using the neck pickup or a mix. an EQ pedal would not hurt. very easy to tweak your sound. i run one in the FX loop.

the biggest factor here to get john mayer tone for cheap is using teh right dirty pedal in the right way. you need a really creamy OD or distortion pedal and you gotta know how to set it up. really i cant point to one, as there are millions.

but relly john is using custom gear and a custom two rock which probably runs 3-5 grand. it sounds a lot like a dumble, and that style of amp is very rare and unique sounding.

...so your neve going to match that tone unless you got about 10 grand. you gotta improvise.

another good musician to emulate is santana, who also has that creamy, ultra saturated, yet clean and defined tone. he also uses teh best gear like PDS guitar and mesa boogies / original dumble amps like SRV.

By gain do you mean the second channel gain, or cranked amp gain? Could you point to a few creamy OD's?