Am i suppose to place my thumb over or behind the neck?I usually play with my thumb over the neck.Am i playing right?
behind the neck is probably better "posture" but every once in a while i put my thumb over if im playing bluesy stuff or bending a lot of notes. Also depends on what kind of guitar/neck you have
Better technique for your wrist is behind, but it won't kill you.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
Good technique says that your thumb should be directly behind the neck because it gives you better posture and leverage. If you wrap around the neck, your fretting fingers get into a less favourable position. As well, wrapping is considered to hinder you from moving as fast.

To be honest, unless you're playing classical, I wouldn't get too worried about it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
My thumb is around the neck a lot of the times cause I'm muting the E string when strumming a lot of chords. But I find my thumb moving around a lot when im playing in general
Quote by captivate
Good technique says that your thumb should be directly behind the neck because it gives you better posture and leverage. If you wrap around the neck, your fretting fingers get into a less favourable position. As well, wrapping is considered to hinder you from moving as fast.

To be honest, unless you're playing classical, I wouldn't get too worried about it.
Every now and then, I use the "Hendrix Grip", (thumb on top of the neck), for forming barre chords, (E major form only). With that said, Jimi had fingers about 8 inches long, I don't.

I find that it causes sideways string deflection, unwanted mutes, and places you out of position for much of anything else to come.

All in all, a technique that IMO, wasn't worth the learning. It looks cool as s*** though.

The rest of the time, I keep reminding myself to have the thumb directly in the middle of the neck, wrist low.

DISCLAIMER: As always, most anybody's, as well as the TS's results may vary.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 18, 2012,
My guitar teacher a long time ago always told me to keep my thumb behind the neck. It really does help with speed and leverage and a whole bunch of stuff. Now, I usually do a lot of muting and fretting with my thumb so I manage to justify my thumb being over the neck most of the time haha.
so is it ok to play some parts with thumb over neck and some bhind

Yes. In fact, some chords will require you to wrap your thumb around the neck.
Quote by tom183
Yes. In fact, some chords will require you to wrap your thumb around the neck.
I'm trying to visualize which ones, but without much success.

By way of explanation, I suppose I should cop to the fact I only know 6 chords to begin with....
Quote by Captaincranky
I'm trying to visualize which ones, but without much success.

By way of explanation, I suppose I should cop to the fact I only know 6 chords to begin with....

I should probably rephrase as 'some chords will be much easier to play in this fashion'.
D/F# is the most common chord that comes to mind.
I usually play with the thumb behind the neck

BUT

... some folk (especially fingerstyle), ragtime and blues songs use the thumb over the top technique for muting, fretting the 6th string, and achieving chord shapes that are otherwise nigh impossible to do.

In the end, it depends on what you want to play. Thumb-over-the-top is another tool in your kit.
Quote by tom183
I should probably rephrase as 'some chords will be much easier to play in this fashion'.
D/F# is the most common chord that comes to mind.
Check! I just "relearned" that accidentally last night...... Came to me in a vision, it did....
Quote by Steve BP
I usually play with the thumb behind the neck

BUT

... some folk (especially fingerstyle), ragtime and blues songs use the thumb over the top technique for muting, fretting the 6th string, and achieving chord shapes that are otherwise nigh impossible to do.

In the end, it depends on what you want to play. Thumb-over-the-top is another tool in your kit.

True, I made a thread about this some time ago as well - and many folk fingerstyle songs are impossible to play without using your thumb for bass notes over the neck. Unless you have 6 fingers on your left hand of course.
^^ I'm not in a tabbing mood, but I can think of a lot of chords and things that require thumb over the neck.

Learn both, why restrict to one position.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
3 doors down's "when your young" is much easier to play with your thumb over the neck.( and really hard to play when your picking your nose ... not to mention painful... with your thumb.
Quote by stepchildusmc
3 doors down's "when your young" is much easier to play with your thumb over the neck.( and really hard to play when your picking your nose ... not to mention painful... with your thumb.
Yeah, just make sure you cut the strings off really close to the tuning pegs, so you don't poke your eye out