As you can see from my signature, my gear is pretty decent. I spend a lot of time fine-tuning to make sure my guitars sound good, but they don't. I play in an apartment with tile floors and thin, sheet rock walls and it obviously sounds bad. It's a cold, boomy, bouncy sound, but the thing that's driving me crazy is that my guitars seem to be out of tune after tuning and intonation (even with a professional set up). Can a room with a bad echo do enough tonal damage to make the guitars seem out of tune?

It also may be worth noting that I can never turn my amp up past 1...
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
Last edited by HeavyMetalSonic at Mar 17, 2012,
it can. I played outside instead of my cramped room and everything sounded amazing, it was crazy

EDIT: oh tuning issues cant possibly be the amp it's probably the nut of your guitar
Last edited by italiarlz135 at Mar 17, 2012,
Quote by DrewMeyer
Get a headphone amp.

I can do that on my MG10 and it does sound a bit clearer, but still not as perfect as I'd like.
BOSS NS-2
Quote by HeavyMetalSonic
I can do that on my MG10 and it does sound a bit clearer, but still not as perfect as I'd like.

Well there's your problem! Jk, but you would need a better amp to get the tones you want, proven fact. Vox Valvetronix (the older versions, not the new + ones) go for relatively cheap used, and they sound amazing, even, I would assume, through headphones.
if you say your tuning goes off really fast, that could be because of some sort or humidity or heat problems in your apartment.
is it very humid? if so, get a dehumidifier.
does the temperature fluctuate a lot? that can cause your guitar to go out of tune fast.

as for your acoustics, and short of moving to a new apartment, try carpets on the tile floors and some hanging (pictures/painting or some hanging fabrics) on the walls. It wont fix it all, but it may help.
another trick (and yet again this may only help) is to lift your amp off the ground. Build yourself a plywood stand a few inches off your floor, and put you amp on it.
Can you have shit tone because you're playing through a practise amp in a less-than-ideal space? Of course. Can this make you go out of tune? No. Your guitar(s) is not set up properly, or has been restrung incorrectly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by HeavyMetalSonic
I play in an apartment with tile floors and thin, sheet rock walls and it obviously sounds bad. It's a cold, boomy, bouncy sound, but the thing that's driving me crazy is that my guitars seem to be out of tune after tuning and intonation (even with a professional set up). Can a room with a bad echo do enough tonal damage to make the guitars seem out of tune?

You could consider getting some things to 'soak up' the sound.... A big plush rug could be a good start
Quote by HeavyMetalSonic

If I were you I would invest in a USB device such as a pod or a fast track. Or you can do what I do and get a rocksmith cable and use reaper with Shred 1.06 VST
This way you can get some really nice tones and crank it up to 11 without the neighbors even knowing your there.
a tuning issue? there is no way acoustics are causing that. sounds like your set-up sucked.

as for crappy tone, yes. acoustics can make a wonderful rig sound terrible.
Prolly the guitar and not the amp...problem I'm having with my RG7321 is that the saddles have some room to move sideways, and if they are not perfectly centered, the intonation will get slightly off. So could be a combination of little things.
A few of you have misunderstood. My guitars are not actually out of tune, they just kind of seem that way. It's like there's some crappy coating on my distortion. I'm plugged into the amp with no FX pedals, so I don't know what it could be besides the sound waves bouncing around and whatnot.
BOSS NS-2
Quote by HeavyMetalSonic
My guitars are not actually out of tune, they just kind of seem that way.

Its like the whole 'its not loud, it just sounds loud' philosophy...
If it sounds, then it is - how are you tuning your guitars and what exactly is in your signal chain.
Quote by zero
Its like the whole 'its not loud, it just sounds loud' philosophy...
If it sounds, then it is - how are you tuning your guitars and what exactly is in your signal chain.

Front amp - BOSS NS-2 - Hardwire Polyphonic tuner - Guitar

This is how I string 'em up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGLMy6DbpBc

I pluck the strings open for tuning and for intonation, I pluck open and then 12th fret instead of 12th harmonic and 12th fret.
BOSS NS-2