Hey, I saw a beatup Gibson at a flea market. It was really wrecked, cracked wood and everything but still felt great.

The guy said it was really old, and pointed towards the top of the headstock. It was flat; which is really weird. Do all Gibson acoustics have that carve at the top? Also the decal was different than anything I'd have seen.

He was offering it for a really low price; and I am tempted to go grab it and fix it up but I want to know if it's the real deal first, you know?
Quote by Monty522
Hey, I saw a beatup Gibson at a flea market. It was really wrecked, cracked wood and everything but still felt great.

The guy said it was really old, and pointed towards the top of the headstock. It was flat; which is really weird. Do all Gibson acoustics have that carve at the top? Also the decal was different than anything I'd have seen.

He was offering it for a really low price; and I am tempted to go grab it and fix it up but I want to know if it's the real deal first, you know?

If it sounds and plays good, who cares what brand it is! Having Gibson at the top just makes it all the better.
Up to now I had though the "Gibson" name, was always done with an inlay, rather than a decal.

Headstock shape is generally part of a trademark. So, you see the shape, and don't have to be able to read the logo, to know what the guitar is.

With that said, many manufacturers change headstock shapes between models, and model years.
Quote by Captaincranky
Up to now I had though the "Gibson" name, was always done with an inlay, rather than a decal.

Headstock shape is generally part of a trademark. So, you see the shape, and don't have to be able to read the logo, to know what the guitar is.

With that said, many manufacturers change headstock shapes between models, and model years.

Oh no, the logo was an inlay I am pretty sure. There was some odd decal under the name.
buy it and show us. either we'll all be in awe at your discovery or the butt of endless jokes! either way its a win-win situation!
Last edited by stepchildusmc at Mar 17, 2012,
Quote by stepchildusmc
but it and show us. either we'll all be in awe at your discovery or the butt of endless jokes! either way its a win-win situation!

This. I would totally buy it.
Quote by stepchildusmc
buy it and show us. either we'll all be in awe at your discovery or the butt of endless jokes! either way its a win-win situation!

Ooo look, It's a Bibsum.....um...Gypsum...Jimson....maybe.

Sorry, just warming up....
i hope its a real one. that would be awesome( but just in case... i'm workin' on some good one-liners).
I went through some of the pictures of some of the older Gibsons that are on the Gruhn website and it looks like for the most part they have always had some sort of the open book style headstock. Some are just less pronounced than others.