I want to start recording and editing my own songs on my lap top, this is all very New to me so a lot of it goes over my head but can anyone suggest some good programmes/software for this?
Download the free version of Reaper for a DAW (digital audio workstation), if u have the cash i suggest a Shure sm57 and any of the cheaper but reputable audio interfaces out there if you are only going to be recording guitar and vocals. If you plan on doing drums I would suggest using a drum VST such as superior drummer or Addictive drums unless you have the cash to spare for a larger mixer and many microphones.
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
No I will only be recording guitar and base, I was thinking of maybe a drum simulator type programme to make my own drum beats, do they exist?
And I use a peavey Vk112 combo witha few mods and a GT 10 and the guitar depends on what tone I want
Quote by jamie vk
No I will only be recording guitar and base, I was thinking of maybe a drum simulator type programme to make my own drum beats, do they exist?

They do actually, but none of them are free.

This one is the best of the ones I've tried:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/powered-by-kontakt/studio-drummer/

It's even cheaper than some of EZDrummer's stuff at $85. It may be missing a few Toms (EDIT: It has four toms, it's just missing a higher tom in comparison with Superior Drummer).

For recording guitar or bass, get a Pod. Don't bother using a mic since there's already an endless number of amp sims that can generate a more than convincing cabinet sound (such as Guitar Rig from the same company I linked) and a quality mic may wind up costing you even more.

For a DAW, Reaper is free and the trial itself has a good reputation for being almost everything you need. Almost. I use FL Studio which cost about $300 for all the mastering, basic vst, and effects I need. It only runs on windows, so if you have a mac then just go with Reaper.

It really depends on how much money you're willing to spend.
Last edited by WizMystery at Mar 17, 2012,
So the pod allows me to connect to my laptop, bypassing the sound card which should give me better sound quality, is that correct?
Then the DAW allows me to record? Does the DAW softwear have eqing? Or any pre amps or effects?
Also if I wanted to recod using a tone I have made on my gt10 how would I do this?
Reaper has a great many free vst plugins including EQ and many others. you can also google around for free ones elsewhere. And yes the DAW will allow you to record. It is just the fancy way to say recording program. As for getting your GT10's tone i can't help you there. You may have to just fool around with amp/cab sims and replicate it best you can?

Also it is spelled bass....
AMP:
Rocktron chameleon 2000
Roland GP16
Audio Technica wireless
Peavey valveking
Clydesdale custom case
GUITAR:
Indie super T black (modded with active and passive pickups)
Daisy Rock Rock Candy Special
Quote by jamie vk
So the pod allows me to connect to my laptop, bypassing the sound card which should give me better sound quality, is that correct?
Then the DAW allows me to record? Does the DAW softwear have eqing? Or any pre amps or effects?
Also if I wanted to recod using a tone I have made on my gt10 how would I do this?

The Pod doesn't bypass the sound card, it bypasses the unwanted reverb in your room and eliminates the time required to properly mic the amp (which takes more effort than you think). But the quality is basically 100% perfect.

The DAW is where you both record and arrange. I should also note that FL Studio has gotten some rip for its recording interface and Edison isn't the most user friendly thing in the world, but it gets the job done. All DAWs come with a playlist subdivided based on tempo that let you arrange the song however you compose it. Most DAWs come with EQ, but what package they're included in differs.

Looking up the G10 you would most likely be able to get a very similar tone with another set-up in an amp simulator. From what I can find there's no exact simulator of a G10 amplifier, but a Pod typically comes with a set of various virtual amps, albeit a relatively cheap knockoff of them. As for more general sims, the one that comes with FL Studio is sort of a joke, but Guitar Rig is fantasic. It's only downside is the $200 fee which, if you consider getting everything virtual from NI like many people, is part of a subtotal that is actually half of their Komplete package that comes with a s***load of stuff, which is sort of a bummer if you never planned on getting it. It really depends on how serious you are.

You're looking to spend minimum $80 no matter what. Either route you take, you're probably not going to buy this all at once so do what you can to get by in the meantime and search around on KVR to cut whatever corners you can.
Looking on line, it looks like I can get a decent interface for around £100 which is ok, I was expecting them to be more than that. Any suggestions?
Also the GT10 isn't an amp, its a boss multi effects bored. I love some of the tones I've made so would have been good if I could somehow use then but I guess it will be fun recreating them,
What Is MIDI? I know my GT10 has it but have no idea what it is
Quote by jamie vk
Looking on line, it looks like I can get a decent interface for around £100 which is ok, I was expecting them to be more than that. Any suggestions?
Also the GT10 isn't an amp, its a boss multi effects bored. I love some of the tones I've made so would have been good if I could somehow use then but I guess it will be fun recreating them,
What Is MIDI? I know my GT10 has it but have no idea what it is

Oh, if it's an effect board then you could probably find a way to route it via USB. If not, amp simulators typically come with their own line of effects. What kind of a cable does the out socket of the G10 take?

MIDI stands for Musical Instrument Digital Interface and is basically directions for the computer to play a song piece by piece (unlike an mp3 which is the sound as a whole and cannot be deconstructed). It's typically used to control virtual synthesizers and sampled instrument libraries, but as you've mentioned some guitars and effects pedals come with it. I don't own a midi guitar or a midi compatible pedal, so I don't know how accurate your set-up will be in converting your playing to midi information, but when you record it's possible to record both the audio and midi information so that you can play back the same take with another instrument or swap the instrument live altogether.

EDIT: It occurred to me that your pedal's midi compatibility might be useless if you don't have a midi guitar. I have no clue how a midi guitar works so I'm not much help there.
Last edited by WizMystery at Mar 17, 2012,
I second the comment about REAPER. Best free DAW imo
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████