should i buy a gibson les paul classic has its neck repaired?

a local store in my town offer a lp with repaired neck for a considerable price
im wondering if a repaired neck gibson lp would me as good as original?
due to the guitar is pre owned and repaired by the store though they offer its cheaper than a new one, but i see there is not much difference in price about only £200 with a new one and the look of it, they probably have done a good repair though.

for those who has experience in this field please help, is it worth for a trade?
it might works at this moment, but for years long, does it appear a crack on its neck?

i love the cherry sunburst and and i have been looking for a lp classic for long, but still confused in this case.

many thanks.
it all depends if the repair was done by a well known quality luthier i would think about it IF the price was worth it. if the repair was done by some guitar store dude i would run and dont look back. personally i would just save a bit more and get a nice new one.
I will say this: up until about three years ago, Les Paul Classics were £999 brand new. Now, obviously all Gibsons (in fact all guitars, but especially ones made in America) have gone up in price since then quite drastically, but the point is that £1300 for any second-hand Classic is ridiculous, let alone one that has had severe neck damage.

Sometimes repairing a broken neck can actually leave it stronger than it was when it was new, especially if the break was at the headstock. Breaking it can give you the chance to install metal or graphite rods to strengthen it, or simply glue, fill and refinish it in such a way that it's a little tougher than before. However, if the repair work was carried out poorly then obviously this makes things worse and even if the guitar was repaired properly, it still severely devalues the guitar.

In other words, the price on that level of Gibson has gone up a lot, but it's second hand and been badly damaged. So £1300 is a ridiculous price tag. At £999, the price it was new, it would still only just about be worth it (considering the inflated prices of other models now, and that this is a discontinued model and the Classics were pretty good). Personally, I'd be very wary of paying £700 for it, let alone almost twice that.

The key is to go and play it for yourself, see how you like it. Gibsons can vary a lot anyway so you should never buy blind but particular with a repair job like this you need to evaluate it in person. Plus if you're buying in person you can haggle a bit.

edit: looking at the rear-view picture now, it does look like the usual common headstock break. That would be fine - perhaps even good, if the repair work was done well - but the fact they've covered it by simply spraying over with solid black is worrying. Not only is that lazy and looks sloppy but if the guitar had been repaired nicely there'd be no reason not to refinish it in cherry red, like the original finish. I would be very, very cautious if I were you.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Mar 19, 2012,
I have a Les Paul with a repaired neck and it's fine. If the repair looks good take it.
If you have any reservations at all.. don't do it.. It's a heck of an investment for something that you know has already been broken.

Just My Opinion

Quote by fuzzpedal
I have a Les Paul with a repaired neck and it's fine. If the repair looks good take it.

edit: Of course now I know of 2 people in 40 years of playing that have a Les Paul with a repaired neck with no problems..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Mar 19, 2012,
I got my Les Paul for £890 because it had a repaired neck. It's a very clean and tidy repair job. Doesn't affect the tuning at all. If I didn't say, you probably wouldn't notice it was there.

It was broken in an accident in the shop. So it's a brand new Les Paul, just with a repaired neck. It doesn't bother me at all that it was broken. It works excellently now.

Also, a lot of people seem to reckon it is actually stronger after the break. Now, I'm not sure how true this is, but a lot of people say it.

However, just because the break in mine doesn't affect the tuning, that doesn't mean the one in question will hold it's tuning well. Depends on the break, how well it was repaired etc. Also, it could affect the sustain.

Also, might be just me, but there's no way in hell I'd pay over £1000 for a Les Paul with a neck break. Unless it was a custom or a high quality/ well playing/ sounding guitar.
Last edited by WholeLottaIzzy at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by fuzzpedal

I also have a nice Gibson LP std that was knocked over at a party and the neck was almost completely broke off (right below the headstock I must say). Needless to say, it felt almost like I lost a loved one.

Called a luthier close to home, and even though it was a MAJOR break, I am happy to say you cant even tell by looks, sound or playabiltiy that it had such a bad break.

The only thing is I know its there. If its professionally done, dont sweat it BUT I do think it should be considerably cheaper

EDIT: my luthier told me that red (or types of) are the easiest to disquise. Mine is dark cherry and can hardly tell. Unless you were looking for it, you would never notice
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Mar 19, 2012,
Quote by madh4ttr
I also have a nice Gibson LP std that was knocked over at a party and the neck was almost completely broke off (right below the headstock I must say). Needless to say, it felt almost like I lost a loved one.

Called a luthier close to home, and even though it was a MAJOR break, I am happy to say you cant even tell by looks, sound or playabiltiy that it had such a bad break.

The only thing is I know its there. If its professionally done, dont sweat it BUT I do think it should be considerably cheaper

EDIT: my luthier told me that red (or types of) are the easiest to disquise. Mine is dark cherry and can hardly tell. Unless you were looking for it, you would never notice

Mine was a weird eggshell white color so I just got it glued with no finishing or anything. You can tell its there but it plays just as well as before.
I'd try to get them to bring the price down to at least 1000. I mean if its got a repaired neck AND its used, they you should have the leverage.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
If the repair was done well it will be fine. I have a USA neck thru Bich that was broken TWICE in different spots 2nd and 3rd fret area by a previous owner. I don't have any idea how a person would do that and not mess up the fret board but it plays fine and the intonation is on.
The pawn shop I bought it from thought of it as a non playable piece of artwork and priced way it low.
What the hell!!!
Quote by madh4ttr

Yeah mine's a really rich deep cherry red mahogany colour and it's barely visible.
Breaks and the subsequent repairs do devalue the instrument (Mostly because we, as guitarists, are a bunch of prissy bitches) but if done properly have NO detrimental effect on playability etc.

Note that the neck is glued to the guitar body , why would it matter if the headstock is glued to the neck, assuming both were done properly?

If the price is right, get it. Although in this case it doesn't appear the price is right...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by groundwire
it all depends if the repair was done by a well known quality luthier i would think about it IF the price was worth it. if the repair was done by some guitar store dude i would run and dont look back. personally i would just save a bit more and get a nice new one.(Invalid img)
if the repair was done by a well known quality luthier i would think about it IF the price was worth it
Quote by hawkbzmd
if the repair was done by a well known quality luthier i would think about it IF the price was worth it

Not to be confrontational, but this is the kind of overused tripe that we see so often, and I wonder if anyone really thinks about it?

"Well known quality Luthier"...

Really? Name One.

Sure, there's a local guy here that's very good and very well known. Locally.

So when I move to Hogwallow Idaho, what do I tell them, since they have never heard of the guy?

Also, I've probably never heard of the guy YOU named above either...

C'mon, let's be real, I don't care if the repair was done by Joe Bob the toothless redneck in his sheep barn as long as it looks good and holds well, and both of those things can be checked in a few minutes by anyone with a set of eyes and hands...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by groundwire
it all depends if the repair was done by a well known quality luthier i would think about it IF the price was worth it. if the repair was done by some guitar store dude i would run and dont look back. personally i would just save a bit more and get a nice new one.
If it is a "well-known quality luthier," then he is probably not doing guitar repairs.
A good repair on a Gibson neck can be fine, and often is more stable than before BUT the price should reflect the fact that it had a broken neck for sure. For a Gibson, I'd say normally a decent price is 50% off new for a used guitar, maybe 60% with the headstock break....Gibson do usually sell at a premium over other brands used.
that's not enough of a discount for a repaired neck LP imo.

maybe you should look around the classifieds at mylespaul and some other sites?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Thats a lotta lbs for a busted one.Good repairs work fine,though.Plug it in hit the strings,and pull back on the headstock.If it changes key,leave it.If it don't make em give you some kind of warranty for that kinda cash.I've had a stand tip over on stage and break one off.It made me almost sick to my stomach......good luck,panhead201 64 ES-330-TDC 72 ES-355-TDSV-68 Black,LPC-lefty,SChecter C1 Classic,antique amber,Lefty 59 Goldtop,lefty,1928 National tri-cone resonater,round neck,PALM TREES
Last edited by panhead201 at Mar 20, 2012,