Hello everyone, as you can see this is a thread for people suffering from anxiety and/or panic attacks. I hope that this will bring everyone together to help cope with this "disease" we all have in common and hope this will become a place where we can all help each other cope with it. I'll start off with a little background about myself....

I am a 20 year old sophomore at Bloomsburg University. For 2 years I have suffered with anxiety and panic disorder. I can remember my first attack that started it all. It was as hot summer day and I was just coming home from work. I decided to sit on my porch for a bit to enjoy the nice weather. All of a sudden I felt my heart skip a beat and flutter a little. This took my breath away but I brushed it off saying it was probably a massive burp. Not instantly after that it happened again and I began to panic. My heart was racing, my hands and feet went numb, my breathing became rapid and shallow. I was sure I was having a heart attack and had my grandparents drive me to the hospital.

After numerous tests including an EKG, Echocardiogram, Xray, CT Scan and a Stress Test, I was released being diagnosed with anxiety. From then on it was a constant battle with myself. I wouldn't say I was depressed but I was afraid to go out anywhere or do anything with the fear that it might strike again. But things did become better in time. I had a job, was going out with friends and was finally going to college. Now I had my little episodes here and there but they only lasted a couple of minutes and they were gone. Everything was going great and I thought that I was finally beating this thing. Until a week ago.....

Something triggered my anxiety all over again and it has been happening to me everyday. Yesterday I was fed up and admitted myself to the hospital once again fearing a heart condition. Once again I was given an EKG, Blood Work and a CT Scan and everything checked out perfectly. I have finally convinced myself that there is nothing physically wrong with me, it's all mental. But I find it hard to calm myself down once again, this feeling is just overwhelming. Hot Flashes, Rapid Heartbeat, Shallow Breathing and the feeling like I need to cough something out of my lungs are just a few of my symptoms. It's getting very hard to cope with this again and I hope that I can get over it like I did and live a normal life.

Please submit your stories so we don't all feel alone in this battle. Thanks UGers.
My life is a panic attack. There's no respite.
Quote by kertets
Only losers post their opinions on the internet.
I suffer from both, it sucks, not getting on ANY medication for it (cuz i've seen people try to get off it), end of story.
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
aaaaaaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Amidoinitrite?

OT: i've had a few panic attacks. The stories behind them are pretty bad and too lengthy to read.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 17, 2012,
ya im a 12 year old metalhead who suffers from anxiety. talking to girls is the hardest thing for me. a girl started talking to me and i physically walked away (i got so nervous). im on medication but it really doesnt help me much. ive tried all the techniques but nothing seems to work. another problem is that since im a metalhead.......i stand out big time. im the only one in my school who has long hair wairs anthrax t shirts and worst of all cant play any sport. it got so bad i stopped being myself, i tried wereing sports jeresies and stuff but people said i ws a wanna be so i decided frig it. you shouldnt change yourself for anyone.....not even megan fox. but i learned everyone has a calm zone. mine is music. some people its sports etc. so when i get nervous.....i sing bonded by blood in my head. it keeps me busy so i dont get overwhelmed on one thing. but there really is no permenant cure. so basically lets try not to be depressed and just focus on the positive........over kill is making a new album soon
Isn't the sign-up age 13? I thought it was 13

I don't have panic attacks in the physical sense that TS discussed, but I seem to go in cycles of withdrawal from everyone else. I'm not really much of a people person anyway, but every few months, I suddenly panic and end up spending the next few months inside, avoiding contact with others, just keeping to myself and practicing my instruments. It doesn't really bother me I guess, but I can't bring myself to try and hold up a proper relationship anymore. It just seems like too much work given I tend to freak out, then up and leave after a short while anyway
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by mrozzy123fest
ya im a 12 year old metalhead who suffers from anxiety. talking to girls is the hardest thing for me. a girl started talking to me and i physically walked away (i got so nervous). im on medication but it really doesnt help me much. ive tried all the techniques but nothing seems to work. another problem is that since im a metalhead.......i stand out big time. im the only one in my school who has long hair wairs anthrax t shirts and worst of all cant play any sport. it got so bad i stopped being myself, i tried wereing sports jeresies and stuff but people said i ws a wanna be so i decided frig it. you shouldnt change yourself for anyone.....not even megan fox. but i learned everyone has a calm zone. mine is music. some people its sports etc. so when i get nervous.....i sing bonded by blood in my head. it keeps me busy so i dont get overwhelmed on one thing. but there really is no permenant cure. so basically lets try not to be depressed and just focus on the positive........over kill is making a new album soon
Terms of Use:

1. ACCESS TO THE SERVICE

Subject to certain limitations as described herein, you are granted the right to access our text, files, images, photos, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, applications, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") under certain terms and conditions as set forth in this Agreement. In order to use the Service, you must obtain access to the Internet and pay any service fees associated with such access. In addition, you must provide all equipment necessary to make such connection to the Internet and to be able to access the digital Content files. Download and use of software content may be subject to an additional license agreement. You must be at least 13 years of age to access the Content. Certain areas and functions of the Service require registration, while other areas and functions do not.

im 12 and wat is thsi?
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by mrozzy123fest
I don't even...

Apart from the atrocious grammar and spelling and the previously stated violation of the ToU, there are just so many things wrong with that post, ranging from you being too young to know anything about real anxiety, to liking Megan Fox, to having poor taste in metal.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Not had any attacks but suffer from stress-induced insomnia.
I declined a prescription for BZPs and just get on with life really. Can't stand taking pills all the time.
I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression when I was 15 6 years ago... I remember having it when I was a kid Ive always had extremely bad guilt about everything I still do. It didn't get bad until I got into high school, and then it was constant anxiety attacks all day every day I've tried out probably 8 different types of medications (seroquel, wellbutrin, celexa, elavil, lexapro and a few i cant remember)for it and some helped a little bit and some made it a 100 times worse. Its gotten better over time now that I've been off meds for almost 3 years but it's still pretty badz. it's hard to be happy or motivated to do anything when you feel sick and sad all the time plus I sweat profusely constantly because of it. it's a hard thing to deal with and it's never a good idea to self medicate because it only leads to bigger problems and in turn will make the anxiety worse. Exercise and routines have helped me out the most if you can find medicine that works ive seen quite a few people who have gotten there life back with it but with that I've seen 100 people be misdiagnosed and given medication they had no business taking. Learning to cope will help you move past it and time also helps... Most people aren't clinically depressed or chemically imbalanced they just get on anti depressants after something bad happens and instead of learning to cope they just take a pill which leads to bad habits and our
Medicated generation. Best of luck to you sry for the rant
I play music and stuff..
Quote by Gator823
I was diagnosed with anxiety/depression when I was 15 6 years ago... I remember having it when I was a kid Ive always had extremely bad guilt about everything I still do. It didn't get bad until I got into high school, and then it was constant anxiety attacks all day every day I've tried out probably 8 different types of medications (seroquel, wellbutrin, celexa, elavil, lexapro and a few i cant remember)for it and some helped a little bit and some made it a 100 times worse. Its gotten better over time now that I've been off meds for almost 3 years but it's still pretty badz. it's hard to be happy or motivated to do anything when you feel sick and sad all the time plus I sweat profusely constantly because of it. it's a hard thing to deal with and it's never a good idea to self medicate because it only leads to bigger problems and in turn will make the anxiety worse. Exercise and routines have helped me out the most if you can find medicine that works ive seen quite a few people who have gotten there life back with it but with that I've seen 100 people be misdiagnosed and given medication they had no business taking. Learning to cope will help you move past it and time also helps... Most people aren't clinically depressed or chemically imbalanced they just get on anti depressants after something bad happens and instead of learning to cope they just take a pill which leads to bad habits and our
Medicated generation. Best of luck to you sry for the rant

I was going to take this seriously and then i saw your sig at the bottom.

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by -Mantra-
What exactly is the difference between anxiety attack and a panic attack?
The spelling. I'm so glad I don't get them anymore. Since I found God, I'm comforted easily by the thought. Meditation and mary jane helped me (effects can vay, especially for the latter.)
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
I used to never suffer from them. Then I drank too much coffee one day, and suffered a major panic attack when I felt my heart beating abnormally fast. Something switched in my brain that day, because I went from tolerating caffeine, to developing a MAJOR hypersensitivity to the stuff literally overnight. While I've never had another full-blown attack, any time I have caffeine, I can feel my anxiety rising, and my risk of having a panic attack increases tenfold. I worry about my heart, I feel paranoid about my health and I get chest pains from the constant stress it puts me under.

If I stay away from caffeine, I'm generally perfectly fine.

EDIT: While I've never had another attack, I've felt them coming on to the point of almost losing myself. I always seem to be able to calm down and convince myself that it's all just mental though. Works really well.
Last edited by 'Leviathan' at Mar 17, 2012,
Quote by 'Leviathan'
I used to never suffer from them. Then I drank too much coffee one day, and suffered a major panic attack when I felt my heart beating abnormally fast. Something switched in my brain that day, because I went from tolerating caffeine, to developing a MAJOR hypersensitivity to the stuff literally overnight. While I've never had another full-blown attack, any time I have caffeine, I can feel my anxiety rising, and my risk of having a panic attack increases tenfold. I worry about my heart, I feel paranoid about my health and I get chest pains from the constant stress it puts me under.

If I stay away from caffeine, I'm generally perfectly fine.

EDIT: While I've never had another attack, I've felt them coming on to the point of almost losing myself. I always seem to be able to calm down and convince myself that it's all just mental though. Works really well.

Literally Same story for but with weed. Everything was fine I was so chill before, then after like 2 years of smoking the herb, I got a panic attack, and now every time I smoke I feel stressed about my heart, chest pain, get super worry Il die and stuff. And even sober I'm more anxious since.

I fucking hate it
Quote by mrozzy123fest

...... Reported?
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
I used to get them sometimes in the middle of the night. Sometimes I would wake up with chest pains and still being half asleep, immediately panic. I would have trouble breathing, my heart would race and a few minutes latter I would start shaking uncontrollably. It's been a few years since thats happened though.

Often times people who get them are kinda dismissed as hypochondriacs, but they're ****ing frightening, you feel like you're going to die.
Quote by Gator823
it's never a good idea to self medicate because it only leads to bigger problems and in turn will make the anxiety worse.

This is so true. Going to the internet and trying to match symptoms with problems is the worst thing you can do. People tend to assume the worst and in most cases get worked up over something that is not nearly as serious.
Quote by Waffleexplosion
Only in a vodka ad could Mexico win a war.
Quote by thefuzz454

This is so true. Going to the internet and trying to match symptoms with problems is the worst thing you can do. People tend to assume the worst and in most cases get worked up over something that is not nearly as serious.

This so much. It just makes it so much worse.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Got the whole thing, shakes, heart, pins and needles, bad breathing etc., .. Triggered again, don't take meds, in the middle of it now and I gotta calm down, but I know I can only do it by degrees . But it feeds creativity right? I perceive less without it
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Gah, why did I have to notice this thread at 6am, just before I was going to bed, now I have to stay awake to make a post, waaah!

Had anxiety and panic attacks, the dominant symptom being Derealization, since I was 12, was having maybe 4 a week from a combination of school stress, bullies and plain worrying. In May 2009 I had a mental breakdown and attempted suicide, developed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Social Phobia, Agoraphobia and Depersonalization Disorder. Had these conditions for just under 3 years now, havent left the house in that time except for one time I had to visit a psychiatrist. Had 2 psychs and a therapist in the past, and a few different types of medication with no results.

Is it obvious why I am posting here yet, looking for magic cure obviously.

Just kidding (sort of) but screw it Im going to bed now I'll post something less idiotic and sleep deprived tomorrow..
I'd rather be happy than right any day

And are you?

Eer no.. haha.. that's where it all falls down you see
I've had anxiety for the past couple years, with only really one major panic attack. Breathing exercises help a lot, especially when you feel one coming on, square breathing works to ground you and calm you down.

I also went to therapy for a couple months, and for whatever reason, that seemed to help.
I used to get panic attacks at night. I kept thinking that I was going to die every time my heart skipped a beat or I felt a little bit funny. That was not fun at all.

What's strange is I don't even remember when it started and when it stopped. It feels like a pretty insignificant part of my life now that I look back on it.

Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Wow, look at this thread, hi everyone! I've been experiencing what I'm assuming is anxiety. I've had a few "attacks" in the past where I begin hyperventilating and such.

Socially, I feel I'm alright. Get along with people pretty well although I am still more on the timid side.

On almost a daily basis my guts feel "off," there's not necessarily pain, but it feels like I'm on the cusp of anticipation, my dick shrinks up like crazy while flaccid, which is really ****ing lame and further impacts the condition I believe, and my body movements feel rigid. I'm always grabbing at my junk, and trying to get comfortable if I'm stationary, standing or sitting. Lots of gas as well, fart like a madman.

This isn't always the case though, I have days where I feel "normal" and it's just like holy shit, I feel great!

I'm only 22, but I definitely feel like I'm gaining a better understanding of what stress really does to the body. I smoke weed and cigarettes (love me some LSD and stuff too, but that's behind me for now), however I've really been trying to quit cigarettes. I've kind of decided that a doctor isn't going to do shit for me after receiving a number of prescriptions.

I know for a fact that I need to exercise more, maybe sitting here typing out this post will motivate me to actually do so ha.
i didn't read the rest of the thread but i wanted to add my story anyway. COME AT ME BRO!

i was at work when i couldn't breathe. i had felt fine a minute before when all of a sudden i couldn't breathe, after this started to get worse over the next 45 minutes i started to lose motor control in my extremities. my blood flow had slowed and i was hypothermic.
shit was ****ed yo.
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
I finally dragged myself off to the dr's about 3 weeks ago, after suffering with depression and anxiety for around 12-13 years.

The breathing techniques and progressive muscle relaxing has helped my anxiety somewhat, no breakthrough with the depression as of yet though. The cognitive behavioral therapy is a little confusing and tends to make me overthink even more...... I think I may go in this week and ask for a light dose of medication.
Last edited by brownshirt1 at Mar 18, 2012,
I don't know what to call what I've felt, but it seems to fit here.

Around exam time, I was stressed as hell, and one night my chest started hurting, a stabbing kind of pain with each beat. I ignored it and went to bed for the night, only to find that when I was lying on my left side, my heart was VERY audible upon each beat, and hurt with each beat, and I could feel liquid moving around. My mum could hear it across the other side of the room when I showed her. I freaked out and was under the impression I had some crazy heart condition and made a trip to the doctors and got all kinds of scans and things, but nothing ever showed up.

It seemed to be a result of being very panicky around exams and stuff, was weird as ****...
R/DedIT
The Glitch Mob

Arkasia

Tool

Quote by madbasslover
I'd pay four bucks to have those 6 balls stuffed in my mouth.
I've never understood panic attacks (obviously, because I've never had one).
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

ggg1 ggg3

i get anxiety quite bad, but the uni counsellor is really great at eloping me out. i really recommend seeing someone like that.
plus keeping busy is good.

the worst time that really got me down was when we were having a party at my flat and some people were round, i went to my door to leave my bedroom and join them and couldn't do it. i just froze then got into bed and was all over the place. this was made worse by people knocking on my door wondering what i was doing and saying i should come join them, and i couldn't speak. think i freaked them out a bit.
now extra flamey
Last edited by Ikey at Mar 18, 2012,
Posting here again in a less half asleep state.

I found therapy and CBT to actually be pretty helpful for my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and it helped with my anxiety a lot. Did nothing to help my Depersonalization, but that was expected since its the most idiotic condition in the world to have/get rid of.

Medication wise, I've been on varying dosages of Beta Blockers (Propranolol) which has made near to no affect on me, but my doctor refuses to give me anything else due to my suicidal thoughts I shared with him a few months ago. At one point I was also on some Anti Depressants (Fluoxetine) but that did more harm than good, the withdrawal effects were awful, and I got a lot of side effects from them. I'm looking into trying Xanax. as I hear its very effective, but addictive.

If anything the thing that helps most with my panic attacks is closing my eyes, breathing in for 7 seconds and out for 10, the counting gives you something to focus on that isnt the panic, and the controlled breathing makes me feel a lot better.
I'd rather be happy than right any day

And are you?

Eer no.. haha.. that's where it all falls down you see
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Lol your right I put that when I first signed up like 4 or 5 years ago I'm changing it
I play music and stuff..
I've been getting out of it slowly. Self medication with marijuana and lots of time for self reflection. I'm still anxious but not as much.
Quote by kaptkegan
Don't think I've ever been sigged.

I pretty much never leave the drug thread anymore.
Quote by HeretiK538
Isn't the sign-up age 13? I thought it was 13

I don't have panic attacks in the physical sense that TS discussed, but I seem to go in cycles of withdrawal from everyone else. I'm not really much of a people person anyway, but every few months, I suddenly panic and end up spending the next few months inside, avoiding contact with others, just keeping to myself and practicing my instruments. It doesn't really bother me I guess, but I can't bring myself to try and hold up a proper relationship anymore. It just seems like too much work given I tend to freak out, then up and leave after a short while anyway

Wow, he was born in 1999. That feels like it was last year.

*panic attack*
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
I used to have pretty bad social anxiety in certain situations. I went on a short course of amitryptaline and it sorted it out
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial