Awesome, but film thread.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I have pretty big expectations for this movie, definitely gonna see it
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Written by Damon Lindelof? I'm sold.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Am I the only one who doesn't like the Alien films?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

If you don't like, or at least appreciate the quality of, Alien and Aliens then you have objectively poor taste.
Quote by Todd Hart
Awesome, but film thread.

Nah, id rather discuss this with a whole forum than 5 users.

I've been wanting to see this for awhile now. Looks pretty damn awesome.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

Do you like Fassbender? Because he's Fassbending all over this thing.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Oh my fooking god, not been so excited about a film in years! Can't wait
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Looks super rad.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by skeems
Space Jockeys

Think the Space Jockey will be a really cool thing to explore into. I really hope this film is so damn good it causes people to completely forget about the AvP films. Maybe Resurrection too.
Quote by homeless-john
Think the Space Jockey will be a really cool thing to explore into. I really hope this film is so damn good it causes people to completely forget about the AvP films. Maybe Resurrection too.

This trailer alone has more plot depth, character development and intrigue than the AvP films and Resurrection.
Quote by Colgate Total
Gonna be mediocre like the rest of the Alien films.

Yeah looks great. Lovin dat atmosphere, hopefully it will actually be like that in the movie.
Quote by Todd Hart
If you don't like, or at least appreciate the quality of, Alien and Aliens then you have objectively poor taste.

They bore me
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Interesting, lets see if Ridley Scott can bandage some of the damage done.
Last edited by DeadlySIN at Mar 17, 2012,
[before watching trailer]

"Do we really need a prequel? Hell, did we even need sequels? Wasn't the first Alien good enough?"

[after watching trailer]

It's looks amazing. Hopefully it will heal the damage done to me by Mass Effect 3's ending.
Well, I have a few things to say about this.

I love the original Alien films. By that I mean the first one, second one, I even liked the 3rd one although not as much. The 4th I don't really consider part of the same series although it is mildly enjoyable.

After those, they made AVP, which was rated PG13 and was pretty awful.

Then there was AVPR which I won't even comment on.

Right, now we have Prometheus. Ridley Scott knows how to do sci-fi, and he knows how to do horror. He also knows how to do epic, which it looks like we will be seeing here. There are some fantastic actors there who also know what they are doing.

Now we have the problem. The rating. Ridley Scott intended it to be R rated from the beginning and hey, it's an Alien prequel - it NEEDS to be R rated for it to tell the story it is going to. However, the studio have said they are "unsure" about an R rating due to box office concerns.

If they make this movie a PG13, I am afraid it will suffer dearly. Sure, we will probably get an R rated Director's Cut DVD but I don't want the initial experience in the cinema to be watered down to fit a PG13. It's an Alien movie for christ's sake.

Similar topic, the film for the Hunger Games is due out very soon, and it is going to be rated PG13. I have not read the books but I have been told they are pretty damn graphic. For those of you who don't know it's similar to Battle Royale - bunch of people have to kill each other to win. You cannot do a plot like that justice with a PG13 rating. There will be no decapitations, no disembowelment, no amputation, instead we will get a few cuts and bruises which will probably dumb down the impact of the film by no small amount.

I do not want this to happen to Prometheus. I, and I'm sure 99% of Alien fans including Ridley Scott himself, want a visceral, intense, horrifying thriller. Not an AVP-esque popcorn movie.
remember last time a prequel was made for an 80's sci-fi movie that everyone loves?

yesah, i've tried to forget it too.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Also, if it's not R, we won't get Charlize Theron's topless pushups. And that's the most important thing.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
Also, if it's not R, we won't get Charlize Theron's topless pushups. And that's the most important thing.

This possibility concerns me greatly.
Quote by Random3
Similar topic, the film for the Hunger Games is due out very soon, and it is going to be rated PG13. I have not read the books but I have been told they are pretty damn graphic. For those of you who don't know it's similar to Battle Royale - bunch of people have to kill each other to win. You cannot do a plot like that justice with a PG13 rating. There will be no decapitations, no disembowelment, no amputation, instead we will get a few cuts and bruises which will probably dumb down the impact of the film by no small amount.

This is different though because the targeted audience is going to be teen to young adult. Many young teens have read the books, probably more than adults have. If you were to make this movie rated R, there goes more than half your profit already. And you don't really need those kinds of things in this type of movie for it to be great anyway. Decapitations and disembowlements arent what plots are made of.

This movie is not only going to be great, its going to kill in box office. my theater has already sold 600 adv. tickets, and were like a 2 star theater.

As for Prometheus, I'm fairly certain it'll be given an R rating. 13 year old aren't interested in scifi, and the ones that are will probably go with their parents so its not really making any difference even if it was pg-13. Looking at it from a grossing point of view anyway.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Mar 18, 2012,
I think it's going to be R rated.....read an interview with Ridley Scott for it, he said plans to scare the shit out of people with it.

Scott himself told us last year at Comic-Con that his goal was to “scare the shit” out of the audience.
Eh, nothing will top AVP imo.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by skeems
I think it's going to be R rated.....read an interview with Ridley Scott for it, he said plans to scare the shit out of people with it.

Scott himself told us last year at Comic-Con that his goal was to “scare the shit” out of the audience.

That shouldn't have any effect on the rating. That being said, I do think it'll be an R, probably a hard R.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

Quote by dann_blood
Eh, nothing will top AVP imo.

I know you are quite likely to be trolling, but I'm somewhat of an outcast amongst fans of the Alien and Predator franchises (not that I associate with people as a result of liking the films but you know what I mean) as I actually really like AvP. The first one anyway - the second one was not too good, and the whole film is ruined by dreadful lighting and filtering to the point where it's hard to tell what the hell is going on most of the time!

Anyway, after Alien, Aliens and Predator, AvP is probably my favourite of the 'less amazing' films, though I think Alien Resurrection is pretty good too.

Edit: Also, Predator 2 I found really boring, and Predators was really good (especially seeing Predator in a less familiar setting with foreign wildlife and such) but they over-hyped it a bit too much including scenes in the trailer that weren't even in the cinema release.

On topic, I watched the trailer now I'm not posting from my phone and it looks bloody brilliant With this and The Hobbit, it's the first time in ages that I can safely say there are films coming out I will definitely go and see at the cinema. I just hope they don't ruin them.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Mar 18, 2012,
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/ridley_scott_is_shooting_for_both_an_r-rated_pg-13_cut_of_prometheus

Did some more research. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be PG-13 in this case :/

Hopefully the unrated dvd will have a ton of stuff on it.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Quote by Gunpowder

Quote by angusfan16
Decapitations and disembowlements arent what plots are made of.

I agree, violence for the sake of violence is silly.

However, a film with blatantly dark subject matter about people being forced to fight to the death is not going to be as intense as it needs to be if all we see are cuts and bruises.

Imagine if the original Alien was rated PG13 (assume it existed in 1979). They would have to cut out the chestburster sequence entirely, remove all the blood from subsequent attacks and probably cut out the Dallas sequence as well. I don't think I need to say what impact this would have had on the horror.

Also to the guy who mentioned the Thing remake, there we have another film ruined by the studio. Sure, it wasn't a great film, but one of the things fans wanted most was for it to stay true to the original in terms of it's visual effects. The filmmakers in fact did, mostly. All of the transformations were built as animatronic suits for the actors which looked great. The plan was to 'paint' certain parts in with CGI (extra limbs, tentacles or whatever). The studio decided no, they want the whole thing to be CGI. So the filmmakers had no choice but to paint over all of their practical effects work with crappy CGI. The film would have at least been watchable if the visual effects didn't look so cheap.